Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Completed, a couple of remarks(some spoilers)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

Hi Folks,

Completed the game, ~33 hours it took.
Things i like,
- The effects of combat, like getting in stun lock and also stun locking monsters.
-Graphics
-Sound
-Story was quite good, got tensed towards the end
-The land, a lot of areas not included in the main story line,

What i don't like
-Bugs;) Followers can mess things up, assertion failures, Hit / miss affair on monsters, especially skelletons hit sound but no damage.
-Only 23.11 drivers with no graphic glitches
-AI, wake one monster up, retreat and continue hmm.
-A wolf can not out run you, hmm really strange.
-Weapons, armor and items, far to simple. No magic items, no shields, hmm.
-First battle with molerat was more difficult that battle with the deamons at the end.
-Game far too easy last quarter
-This is not a rpg really, more like tomb raider with some choices of weapons and manually skill distribution.
-Character development, did not really matter, the game could have done the point distribution cause its too simple system.
-Lockpick, stealth acrobatics, pickpocket useless almost.
-etc. etc.

However i liked the game, otherwise i would not have played it to the end.

Anders
Post Sat Dec 29, 2001 11:16 pm

I don't like games where it gets increasingly more difficult. You're building up your character for a reason. It felt good to finally be powerful enough to take most anything on.
Post Sun Dec 30, 2001 12:00 am

MWTBP
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

look at the wolf thing this way....if a wolf was chasing you, how fast would you be?
Post Sun Dec 30, 2001 7:08 am

Hi

Yeah, thats one way of seeing it, however i would still not be able to out run the wolf;)
Anyway, thumbs up for this game.

Anders
Post Sun Dec 30, 2001 9:29 am

I'm with you there, anders. Did you raid the main castle for goodies? You get about 11000 gold coins and they're completely pointless! It's not even as if you can exchange them for ore :/ The followers generally fall down holes and stay there, which is poor, as i was relying on Gorn's help in the free mine... crashes got worse towards the end, which is crappy, cuz that's when you really don't want it to crash.

Overall, it took me 34 hours - where's the 100 hours of gameplay? Was i meant to walk round backwards everywhere and only fight with fists?
Post Mon Dec 31, 2001 4:28 pm

Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

It kinda reminded me of Mario64 when he drank the potion of swiftness and learned acrobatics.

The FMV's made the protagonist look like a monkey too...

PLUS: Are they going to reveal his origins or are we to assume that he is some kind of German Jesus sent to kill Orcs?

[ This Message was edited by: Baalcipher on 2001-12-31 12:15 ]
Post Mon Dec 31, 2001 6:15 pm
Jabberwhacky
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I bet in gothic 2 we learn more about him.

Anyone know the point of him not ever saying his name? I figure it's either so we, the players, feel more involved, or more likely so they can do something special with the story in Gothic 2. The only time he even mentions it is when he's talking to Xardas, and when he's about to say his name Xard interrupts him.
Post Mon Dec 31, 2001 8:44 pm