D&D Online: NDA Lifted
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

D&D Online: NDA Lifted

Turbine has <a href="http://www.ddo.com/index.php?page_id=66&pagebuilder[module]=article&pagebuilder[display_item]=171" target="_blank">lifted the NDA</a> for D&DO:<blockquote><em>Turbine is pleased to announce that the confidentiality obligations in the Preview and Non-disclosure Agreement for the DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINE™: Stormreach™ Beta have been lifted earlier than anticipated. This means players in the Beta Program and those who took part in the Stress Test Events are free to talk about the game on public forums. After getting so much positive feedback from our Beta players, we felt it was time to let them share their opinions and praise for DDO with the rest of the MMOG community.</em></blockquote>
Post Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:49 pm
BetaTester

Opinion

I was a beta-tester for D&D online, and now that the NDA is lifted, I want to share my opinion of the game...

This game disappointed me. Its not an open-ended game like World of Warcraft, Everquest, or Dark Age of Camelot. The game is broken into zones, and you only have access to one zone at a time. You cannot move onto the next zone until you have completed all the quests in the previous zone. After the first few initial levels, you need to join a party to complete the quests necessary to moving onto the next zone.

DDO is truly a closed world, a closed environment. You never get a sense of scale, or a sense of distance in this game. You have no idea how big the gaming world is, because you cannot move around in it. There is no "travelling" from place to place in this game. It's a rail-game.

The graphics are wonderful. The sound and music is adequate. The gameplay is woefully repetitive, and not being able to travel around only adds to that problem.

You can only gain 10 levels, but there are multiple phases to each level.

I played the beta for a few weeks, then removed it from my hard-drive. I wont buy the retail version. There are simply too many superior MMORPGs to play.

I really wanted to like DDO. I am HARD-CORE D&D fan. I have been playing D&D for roughly 20 years. I am desperate for a good massive online D&D game. Unfortunately, DDO isnt it.

If you want to play a computer based D&D game, go with Neverwinter Nights. If you want to play a fantasy based MMORPG, try Worlds of Warcraft or Everquest. Avoid DDO. Its a bad game.
Post Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:59 pm

Kepler
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

There will be no more sandbox games.

MMOG developers think gamers need their hands held. Exclamation points over NPCs heads, instancing and roads and buildings that are just graphics and cannot be used.

I, too, was accepted into the beta and played for 2 hours before removing it fro my hard drive.

DDO is a linear single player game that you can play online with other people around the world and only one module at a time. This may be disappointing but this what developers think MMOG games should be now.
Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:33 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Well, alot of people have a problem with total sandbox. Even some RPG nuts such as us can get bored if there is no general direction to the game after a while. There needs to be some incentive to keep playing other than simply becoming "stronger" in the virtual world and getting better equipment. Perhaps beating modules and moving on to the next will be like getting to the next level of those old platformers we stayed up all night playing, dying to see the "next level'. There are alot of people that I have played with in WOW and DAoC that simply dont know what to do next, theyre lost, bored, and they lose incentive to play.

That said, I do agree that the closed-in rail game you describe does sound quite problematic for the rest of us who get off on just exploring the world itself, and traveling into dangerous areas that are instant death if you have an encounter. Having freedom basically. Im a total explorer, and my guilds has often gotten pissed off at me because sometimes for a day or two I just have to simply roam, by myself.

So I see where youre coming from and appreciate your view, chances are I'll feel the same. But there's also a chance that I'll like it as well, and from what Ive seen of the game thus far, I think it just might be worth that chance. Im very hesitant to auto-damn a game that hasnt even been released yet, and quite curious to just see how they did a D&D MMORPG.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:39 am