View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

quote:
Originally posted by Korplem
While I'm certainly glad that I'll be able to play Fallout 3, I just hope it isn't Morrowind with guns.

Man stop scaring me!!

After years of playing games of all kinds one thing I learned DO NOT HOLD YOUR EXPECTATIONS TOO HIGH and now I’m skeptical cynic . The last straw that broke my back was Lionheart so much hype so …much s***. Don’t get me wrong I’m as exited as the next guy, just very cautious.
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:00 am
the dim
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

WOW!!

...and yay!!

as I used to have in my sig;
"...i believe in miracles they happen every day."
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:28 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

It is surprising news.

Hi to Kathode and congratulation to Bethesda. Careful though, there are many hardcore and rabid Fallout fans out there, or else Behesda forums will turn into Interplay forums just like when Fallout:FOBOS announced.
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:36 am
Treestump

I'm excited

I, for one, read every background text that Morrowind offered. While the dialogue might have been data-base like, the Gnostic-like religeous texts of Morrowind showed a great depth and story-shaping ability.

I'm very excited about this announcement.
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:21 am

Decado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

And I thought things had already hit rock bottom. Now "Fallout 3" will be some sort of crap multiplatform, single player, multiplayer, real-time, turn-based, "Teen" rated, souless POS :|
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:23 am

quote:
Originally posted by Decado
And I thought things had already hit rock bottom. Now "Fallout 3" will be some sort of crap multiplatform, single player, multiplayer, real-time, turn-based, "Teen" rated, souless POS :|

Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:46 am

Greyslayer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Oh god, no...

I can't believe Interplay has done this. What a bunch of morons. The MMORPG? Yeah right.

I can't believe Troika or Obsidian Entertainment are not doing it for that matter. This is going to be crap. No two ways about it. Bethesda is probably the last Developers I would want to see raping this gem of a game. Sorry, but once you tire of the huge world of Morrowind, the loading every 2 steps, the sloppy engine, bugs, leveling up by jumping up a hill for awhile, unbalanced skills and characters from the beginning, stupid overwhelming of putrid dark elves (Yes, I know that Morrowind is their land, even though it's supposed to be 1 nation on a continent of many nations, not an island), once you get tired of every dungeon you run into after every 20 steps having absolutely nothing of value in them, hence you never even bother to enter after the first 100 caves, once you tire of killing entire towns with your Ebony Staff of Doom that blasts every elemental power in existance in a 500 foot wave, get sick of cashing in Daedric weapons worth 999999999999 GP that you can sell max to a MaStEr UBER genius Crab that is in the middle of nowhere that magically has a whole 10,000 GP per day that someone is restocking, buying levels, buying skills, buying enchantments to do absurd things like pick any locks, once you are bored to tears with the non-existant dialog and never ending mail delivery quests, without exception, pathetically easy monsters, horrid melee battle system, god bosses that can be punched to death, boring models, unexciting special weapons and hidden items/areas, once you learn to hate traveling since you no longer actually walk due to the fact that jumping will allow you to move about 100MPH and you can jump from one side of Balmora to the other in a single bound, you understand that Morrowind was a piece of #### game with a TON of insubstantial nothingness in it. You can go at your own pace for years.. but why would you want to? Even the ending of Morrowind redefines "pathetic" or anti-climatic.

And these people are going to reverse engineer, fumble, butcher, vomit out a classic like Fallout. God, please let Bethesda merge with Troika and Obsidian Ent. This is the worst news I have heard since the 9/11 terrorist attack.

Oh and just because people at Bethesda are fans of Fallout doesn't then mean they are going to unleash the game that ends all games. Heck, I'm a fan of Fallout 1 and 2 and probably know more about those two games than they do. Leave it alone Bethesda! Go make Morrowind 2, another wooden click fest inspired by Diablo.
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:31 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I tend to be somewhat in agreement. While I love Fallout and want to see it continue, Bethesda would not have been my choice either. I've played their games since Arena and they continually promise to give us REAL NPC's with REAL dialogue. So far they haven't come close. Fallout depends on that. I hope they at least hire Josh Sawyer, or contract it out to Obsidian or Troika. I'll be watching carefully. I wish them well with much trepidation. Please Bethesda, prove me wrong.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:50 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I'm not going to get much support for my comments but here we go: this isn't about the best choice for Fallout or any other warm and fuzzy sentiments. Bethesda offered more for the rights than the other applicants and Caen had a duty to take it both to his many creditors and the shareholders. Of course, that idiot put Interplay in this position but that's history now.

Bethesda wouldn't be my preferred choice and it's a pity at least one of the competing parties could find more money...but that's business for you. On the positive side, Bethesda is an experienced and secure developer. I think Morrowind is dull and unbalanced but perhaps they can use that experience and apply it in a different way. I'm not enthusiastic...but who knows? I'll wait and see if the design respects the Fallout fundamentals before deciding any further.

On a different note, I wish they had either waited or been prepared to release some basic details (like PoV, TB etc). Seems a waste of time to make this announcement, knowing the waves it would create but not prepared to reveal anything. I'll never understand the mentality behind game company PR, even though I see it every day.
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:23 am
Father Omally

Bethesda Servants Of The Gaming Way.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammo! Tis the gospel of joy singing in my ears with the sound of salvation at such sacred news .Tis enough to make a holy man cry i tell ye.
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:02 am

Here are some chains of thoughts I had when I read the announcement:

Bethesda... Morrowind... XBox... realtime...

Todd Howard... "increase skills by using them"... S.P.E.C.I.A.L raped... unrewardable quests...

non-linear... in Bethesda terms: "huge and empty"... lifeless npcs

story... you are the chosen one, born under a certain sign...

Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:02 am

MetalS

While I can't say this BethSoft-developed FallOut will live up to the greatness of the previous Fallouts, I do hope that Bethesda will do a good, if not great, job on the next Fallout.
I think BethSoft has what it takes to do this, and for the next ElderScrolls, I do hope the NPCs are quite more intelligent.

As for some of you who keep judging Morrowind's story - Its as if you don't know the history of TES, so I suggest you don't judge the story.
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:34 am

Morporkian/TooLoud

Re: Oh god, no...

quote:
Originally posted by Greyslayer
I can't believe Interplay has done this. What a bunch of morons. The MMORPG? Yeah right. + a long rant

There's so much wrong in this text that I can't even begin to comprehend it's wrongness. A few words for you, kind sir; try not to rant about things what you seemingly know nothing about. Overreacting and lame assaults aren't very valid forms of discussion.

And no. I'm neither a Morrowind- or a FO-fanatic. So I'm rather non-biased.

Behave children.
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:43 am

Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
Here are some chains of thoughts I had when I read the announcement:

Bethesda... Morrowind... XBox... realtime...

Todd Howard... "increase skills by using them"... S.P.E.C.I.A.L raped... unrewardable quests...

non-linear... in Bethesda terms: "huge and empty"... lifeless npcs

story... you are the chosen one, born under a certain sign...

Totally agree with you! Using Morrowind's dialog system is like playing with a database! I already work with databases everyday and i definately don't want that in my games! And 'increase skills by using them'? Yeah, left my character running for over an hour against a wall just to increase his skills (thatnks to a handy mug by my pc ). THAT'S what I call gameplay...
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:15 am

There really are a number of stupid children posting here.

1. Stop using the word 'rape' gratuitously. It's neither cool nor new or intelligent.

2. That Bethesda made Morrowind does NOT mean FO3 will neccessarily be like Morrowind.

3. If you'd played Morrowind and actually READ stuff (like only one poster above seems to) you would have noticed that it demonstrated an excellent ability to shape a story (as that poster pointed out) AND a great deal of dedication to providing intelligent, mature depth and background - more so than by ANY developer of console games to date.

About the only bad thing I can say about Bethesda is what they did to Akella and Seadogs 2.....
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:32 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next