Usergroups
System requirements & new pics
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Abbath
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I've tried the gothic 2 demo, and it goes smoother on my computer than gothic 1 does hope it's not only the demo
Post Fri May 16, 2003 5:03 pm
Delo
City Guard
City Guard

Well I beat you all! I have stock nvidia that comes with the computer!! HA-HA!......wait a second...I meant to say mine sucks really bad and need to get something better...thats sounds better.
Post Sat May 17, 2003 7:20 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Sarge
Well ,now the most powerful Video is Ge-Force FX 5900 Ultra.It smashes Radeon 9800pro.It's price is 500$.

It doesn´t "smash" the Radeon 9800 Pro. Maybe it´s slightly faster but not more.
Took NVidia long enough to counter the 9700 Pro, etc.

I would never spend 500$ on a video card. I can understand if somebody buy a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 for 100$, one of the mid range cards (in the correct version) for 200$ and even a Radeon 9700 nonPro for 250$, but 500$ for 10-20% more speed in some games isn´t worth it, IMO.

@Dbesing, what do you mean a Radeon wouldn´t fit in? Would a GeForce fit?
Post Sat May 17, 2003 10:18 am
ziBzi
Necromancer
Necromancer

I was in the shop Virgin..and i came across a graphics card named hercules 34Mb... for £70.. i dont know much about the cards...is this worth the buy? or is there another card under £100 out there that is worth the money?
Post Sat May 17, 2003 11:08 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by ziBzi
I was in the shop Virgin..and i came across a graphics card named hercules 34Mb... for £70.. i dont know much about the cards...is this worth the buy? or is there another card under £100 out there that is worth the money?

You misread the name. Hercules cards are labelled 'Prophet XXXX'. Hercules is an excellent brand. If the card is fast depends on the chip and the memory.
Still the best bang for the buck: buy the cheapest 64MB card with a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 chip. Costs about 100 EUR here. Other cards are faster but also more expensive. The GF4 is easily 5x as fast as your Radeon 7000, given you´re using graphics intense software.
Compare online prices.
Post Sat May 17, 2003 12:27 pm
ziBzi
Necromancer
Necromancer

thanks Gorath..let me tell you about the package i seen..it had a guy with a tahtoo on his face..and the 64 Mb card had the same guy but with a more intensive detail scale..

but the 64mb didnt have a price on it..it must not be in stock or something..also i cant find the GF4 anywhere..i have looked in all the big retailers and nothing..only PC world but they say theres is some office card..
Post Sat May 17, 2003 1:01 pm
Sarge
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gorath ,see the test in DooM3.Ge-Force FX is with 20fps faster.That is not at all little .In some tests it is abaut 80% faster r .And don't forget that DooM3 is the future of the games. so ATI has to work harder to reach this preformence of the FX
Post Sat May 17, 2003 1:15 pm
ziBzi
Necromancer
Necromancer

You are actually crazy enough to pay $500 for a graphics card??? you may aswell buy a new Computer while your at it..Jesus, were you rpoud of yourself when you payed that amount..???
Post Sat May 17, 2003 1:31 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
thanks Gorath..let me tell you about the package i seen..it had a guy with a tahtoo on his face..and the 64 Mb card had the same guy but with a more intensive detail scale..

Sorry, every Hercules looks like this.

quote:
but the 64mb didnt have a price on it..it must not be in stock or something..also i cant find the GF4 anywhere..i have looked in all the big retailers and nothing..only PC world but they say theres is some office card..

Only one example. I chose this shop because I knew they do business Europe-wide. No idea if they are reliable.
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=28943&t=278&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=24&GrpID=1&s=pl
Take this for price comparison. If you like the Hitman series it looks like a good deal.
You should try to locate price comparison sites for your country. This is the easiest way to find the best deal.
Post Sat May 17, 2003 1:31 pm
ziBzi
Necromancer
Necromancer

Thanks for your help Gorath...You have the radeon 9800 dont you..?? how much did that cost you and would it be worth the money compared to other graphic cards?
Post Sat May 17, 2003 2:38 pm
Dbesing
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath

the card it self the design is backwards from what my board slots are, u know it has like 3 sections my board is like one big long slot and half of a small slot , i'll get a screen shot if u want my motherboard was brand new two years ago , seems its outta date already lol, it wont accept anything higher then x2 agp
Post Sun May 18, 2003 3:07 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Sarge
Gorath ,see the test in DooM3.Ge-Force FX is with 20fps faster.That is not at all little .In some tests it is abaut 80% faster r .And don't forget that DooM3 is the future of the games. so ATI has to work harder to reach this preformence of the FX

a)Doom 3 hasn´t even reached beta stage, so test results based upon this game are worthless. (Did you hear the rumors about Doom 3 optimized Detonator drivers?)
b)Speed is not everything. Don´t forget about picture quality (2D and 3D with AA and AF) and noise.
c)For 500$ the new NVidia card has to be faster than the ATI.
Post Wed May 21, 2003 3:09 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Thanks for your help Gorath...You have the radeon 9800 dont you..?? how much did that cost you and would it be worth the money compared to other graphic cards?

I answered this in my earlier posts in this thread.
Post Wed May 21, 2003 3:15 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Dbesing
quote:
Originally posted by Gorath

the card it self the design is backwards from what my board slots are, u know it has like 3 sections my board is like one big long slot and half of a small slot , i'll get a screen shot if u want my motherboard was brand new two years ago , seems its outta date already lol, it wont accept anything higher then x2 agp

It would be better to know what board exactly you have. This info should be printed in the manual, on the invoice or between the slots on the mainboard.
Post Wed May 21, 2003 3:19 am
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hardware

I have to agree with Gorath. With the turnover rate on technology and the rate at which the price falls, it makes no sense to spend big bucks on any piece of hardware. I got a “new” MSI GF4 Ti 4600 64mb card for $110 on eBay and it works great.

Sylvio
Post Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:35 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next