Ebon Hawk Mini Game - End of game.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Knights of the Old Republic

Author Thread
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Ebon Hawk Mini Game - End of game.

Too bad. Taris was nice. Game might have been nice after leaving Taris even with the ugly plot twist just as you leave.

But this mini game is the death of me. I can not play it. I am so mad that it is in the game at all and that I wasted my money only to be suckered into buying an arcade game pretending to be an RPG.

And the stupid manual gives no hints at all. "Aim the ship's ...." What the h**l do they mean by that. How. How do you aim anything in this bloody abortion of a game.

I don't know what upsets me more. The fact that the designers thought this was a good chance to make you look at their artistry over and over and over and over and over and over again. Board the ship, watch the movie, play the mini game, lose the mini game, reload the game, board the ship, watch the move, play the mini game, lost the mini game, reload the game. Each sequence takes about ten minutes of blook boiling clock time.

Anyone willing to play this for me? Let me know and I'll post my e-mail address so you can e-mail me yours and I'll send you a saved game. Thanks;
Post Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:56 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

It's not as bad as you think. I %*&*%! it up the first time I came across it too.

Just be aware that you are in a turret ....you can turn a full 360%. And don't shoot sparingly . Pepper the sky full of blast shots. The attacking fighters don't travel fast .....often your excess blasts will knock a few down.

And ...it's only about 7 enemies you need to shoot. Once the first 2-3 have been tagged it begins to get easier.

Oh ..and one other thing. Don't even wait for the ships to appear before firing. Just fire salvos into the expanse. Chances are a few bursts will hit incoming ships.

Edit. If worst comes to the worst, i don;t mind doing it for you. Just post back. But honestly ...it's not as hard as it may first seem. Use the force ( ) and concentrate on one incoming ship at a time .... but NEVER stop firing !
Post Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:11 pm
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by Ican
It's not as bad as you think. I %*&*%! it up the first time I came across it too.

Just be aware that you are in a turret ....you can turn a full 360%. And don't shoot sparingly . Pepper the sky full of blast shots. The attacking fighters don't travel fast .....often your excess blasts will knock a few down.

And ...it's only about 7 enemies you need to shoot. Once the first 2-3 have been tagged it begins to get easier.

Oh ..and one other thing. Don't even wait for the ships to appear before firing. Just fire salvos into the expanse. Chances are a few bursts will hit incoming ships.

Edit. If worst comes to the worst, i don;t mind doing it for you. Just post back. But honestly ...it's not as hard as it may first seem. Use the force ( ) and concentrate on one incoming ship at a time .... but NEVER stop firing !

My friend is playing this game too and she is having as much trouble with this sequence. However her grandson is visiting her this afternoon and she's going to have him try it. I've e-mailed her my saved folder (zipped) - but she doesn't know it's coming yet. And I'm not sure she will know how to copy it back to her game. (Sunday night: My friend's grandsone never got to her. She's still struggling with it. But she has hope. She got all but one destroyed the last time she tried it.)

I have a great nephew who has the game too, but his is x-box. So he's no good to me. Betcha didn't know how many grannies play RPGs.

Even zipped up the folder takes a while to mail. If you really don't mind doing this, e-mail me your address at (deleted so as not to attract spam) and I'll send the saved game to you.

And thank you!

Last edited by SilkenKidden on Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:17 am; edited 4 times in total
Post Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:42 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Ok ..I've sent my e-mail to you.
Post Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:55 pm
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Ok ..I've sent my e-mail to you.

Thank you again. I'm in the process of sending you the game. I've zipped the saved folder up using WinZip. However, it is very slow. I may have to restart sending it.
Post Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:10 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I've sent the completed file back to you now. For some reason it's much smaller. The game must get rid of a lot of info once Taris is ....<spoiler> well you know what
Post Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:37 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

That mini game isn't THAT hard. First, like was mentioned, as soon as it loads START FIRING! You will take out at least 2 ships, maybe more, without ever having to move your guns.

After that, use your radar. The dial at the bottom of the screen...the little circle with the red dots. Red dots = bad guys. Picture it like a clock; you are in the middle (standing between 12, 6, 3, and 9). 12 o'clock is straight UP on the radar. So, if a red dot is on the 3 o'clock position, turn right! Fire!

I just use my mouse to play it, makes it much easier. Move the mouse, click the button. You have control of the vertical axis, too.

I just don't know if people know all these things. For the record, you will have to complete that mini game a few times (I think it's random) before the end of the game.
Post Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:58 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

The mini-game isn't hard. Once you get HK-47 in your party he can load up a simulation of the game for you to practice on without consequences. After a little practice and getting used to the controls, you'll find it's actually quite easy.
Post Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:44 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

It took me over an hour the first time to win it, and I was at the point of uninstalling the game too. Now, I can beat them without really trying. Still, I hate the compulsory nature of it and I especially HATE the first one where you have to toreload and go through all the cut scenes again and again. VERY BAD design decision. Obviously a holdover from the console version.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:58 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

So, you never became a level 186 million lieutenant in X Wing vs. Tie Fighter or Star Wars: Alliance Freedom Something Or Another Dogfight In Space? When you can do both of those on the little blob in the middle of a laptop's keyboard, you can do pretty much any space fighting simulation... blindfolded.
Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:03 am
cwey
Village Leader
Village Leader

Yeah I really detest that part too. I had to reload and reload again and again, and those cinematics scenes did not help at all. As someone mention, once the game starts, quickly fire off a lot of shots out into the empty space. Thats because, the ships are comming towards u in a whole cluster at the moment so you should be able to take down a number of them, (7- at one time.

Oh and do you guys know that you can skip the non-dialogue cinematics like the animation of the Ebon Hawk taking off etc by just clicking your mouse?Unfortunately, the same does not apply for those lengthy dialogue scences. I lost count of the number of times I watch Malak giving the orders for the bombardment of Taris.
Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:48 am
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
I've sent the completed file back to you now. For some reason it's much smaller. The game must get rid of a lot of info once Taris is ....<spoiler> well you know what

Again, thanks so much. I have been playing all night. Dantooine is so good. Even the graphics seem better than on Taris.

I'd never have gotten here without you.
Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:59 am
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by Val
The mini-game isn't hard. Once you get HK-47 in your party he can load up a simulation of the game for you to practice on without consequences. After a little practice and getting used to the controls, you'll find it's actually quite easy.

Thanks Val. I'll do that and maybe I will learn to play the game. But the long load time - going through all the cut scenes etc. - had me so tense that I could not relax enough to learn how to do it. Meanwhile, it was so great that Ican was nice enough to get me through that tough spot. His name suits him:)
Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:02 am
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Your instructions are good. I'll follow them when doing the practice games. I doubt there will be such a long start up to them. That will make it easier to practice. I didn't realize that there were red dots on the bottom of the screen, and certainly not that they represented the locations of the ships.

quote:
Originally posted by iplaygames2
That mini game isn't THAT hard. First, like was mentioned, as soon as it loads START FIRING! You will take out at least 2 ships, maybe more, without ever having to move your guns.

After that, use your radar. The dial at the bottom of the screen...the little circle with the red dots. Red dots = bad guys. Picture it like a clock; you are in the middle (standing between 12, 6, 3, and 9). 12 o'clock is straight UP on the radar. So, if a red dot is on the 3 o'clock position, turn right! Fire!

I just use my mouse to play it, makes it much easier. Move the mouse, click the button. You have control of the vertical axis, too.

I just don't know if people know all these things. For the record, you will have to complete that mini game a few times (I think it's random) before the end of the game.

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:10 am
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Meanwhile, it was so great that Ican was nice enough to get me through that tough spot. His name suits him:)

Haha ... all my characters in DAOC used to be prefaced by Ican <insert action>.

Anyway, pleased to have helped a fellow RPGer. You'll find that this site is the best for that
Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:54 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next