Poll Results and New Poll
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Poll Results and New Poll

Although only 5% of respondents said they liked MMOs in our BioWare Austin poll, there's still a fair percentage curious about what they might be up to: 13% are interested just because it's BioWare and 28% are just a tiny bit curious. 53% aren't interested at all. <br> <br>This week, I thought we'd ask about your outlook on Bethsoft's Fallout 3 now that you've seen (or at least read about) how Oblivion turned out. Feel free to add comments and don't forget to hit the poll on the left.
Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:31 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I think that the high level of quality and solid production values are good things, but it isn't clear to me what this game really means to the Fallout series - I actually tak the quality & stuff said in interviews combined to make me cautiously optimistic.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:14 pm
10Ktrolls
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

If they screw this one up I'll personally apply some wastelander justice on them.
Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:09 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Following up a legend rarely goes well. Nobody remembers any of the warts FO1 and FO2 had (and I barely remember the games at all, to be honest), so any game is going to pale in comparison. Bethsoft probably has as good a chance as anyone of making it work, but I just don't see it happening.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:16 pm
rackrmnn

I think it all comes down to how you want rate the game. Bethesda Softworks has proved four times now that they can make very good games, so if you can ignore its title I'm sure Fallout 3 is going to be quite good. On the other hand, it probably won't be anything like the other fallouts. If you rate it based on a comparison to previous fallout games it probably won't be all that great.

Somebody else here mentioned interviews. From the ones I've read I get the impression that Bethesda Softworks already understands this fact. They're trying to make a good game, not recreate Fallout 1 and 2.
Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:48 pm

fluffy bunny

Frankly, if it hadn't been for the fact that Bethesda are making it, I doubt I would have had a lot of interest in FO3. I never really got into the two first Fallouts. But I know Bethesda makes great games, so anything they do will be of interest to me, including FO3.
Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:51 pm

Hmmm

Just like Oblivion is a console game not a pc game, FO3 will be most likely be FPS/lite rpg craptastic that is OB/Beth. No desire to play console game, period.
Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:47 am

Jadar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I'm expecting an outcome similar to the last Thief game, a reasonable approximation but falling short of the originals - for much the same reasons: the need to accommodate consoles, different engines, different companys. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. I imagine that it will do well, even if they make, "The Elder Scrolls: Fallout". It's not what I'm hoping for though, previous TES games have been tedious.
Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:41 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I've felt all along that Obsidian should really be making F3. My biggest concern with Beth is the total mediocrity of their NPC's Yes, the ones in Oblivion are far better than in previous TES games, but they still don't have anywhere near the personality that a good NPC should have. The NPC's made the Fallout series what it is and unfortunately it's still Beth's weakest link!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:53 am
Sid Fynch
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The problem is in the name.

Everquest 2 has nothing in common whatsoever with Everquest 1 but the average gamer thinks it is a sequel and rightfully so.

Bethesda bought the rights to the Fallout universe. They could have easily made a game within that universe and called it something other than Fallout 3.

Bethesda will do fine nonetheless.

"Nature uses as little as possible of anything.”
Johannes Kepler
Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:58 am
slak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I'm surprised at the current standings on the poll, so many people are optimistic about this.

If you enjoyed the fallout series for it's originality you really should be worried and not want it to be anything like Oblivion or any other TES game.
I'd be happy if they decided to make it a PC-only title.
Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:36 pm
evil_lemming
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The things that made Fallout amazing are things beth hasnt/wont/cant do or suck at, what I wonder is why they ever bought the rights for fallout as they will prolly dumb it down enough for console gamers(you know its gonna happen) who have never heard of fallout before while the hardcore fans of the first two will know to stay away and spew nothing but hate

When I first learned about Beth buying the rights my first thought was "Morrowind with guns" now that I've seen Oblivion I'm thinking "Oblivion with gun"...
Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:16 am
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

You know, I'm not much of a Fallout fan (actually disliked both games) and I believe that the Fallout franchise is fairly insignificant compared to franchises like Indiana Jones or Star Wars, but I think that in general terms, George Lucas hit the nail on the head in this very recent TIME magazine interview on Indy 4 (which is probably a valid statement for just about any over-glorified franchise... you just can't score with the passionate fans of the "classic thing", no matter what you do or how good you do it). Anyway, here it is...

quote:
R.C. Isn’t Harrison Ford now older than Sean Connery was when he played his father in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade?

G.L. Uhh, yeah. But the thing is designed for that. And I think it’s funny, it’s exciting. You know the problem there, which is not a problem, is that we don’t have to make that movie. All we can do is hurt ourselves, all it’s going to do is get criticized. I mean it’s basically Phantom Menace we’re making. No matter how you do it, no matter what you do, it won’t be what the other ones were in terms of the impact or the way people remember them.

R.C. But there’s also no need to complete the holes in the epic.

G.L. We don’t have anything like that. We just had a great time making those movies. And if we can have a great time doing this one and we can enjoy ourselves, and make something that’s entertaining to us, no matter what the world thinks, let’s just do it.
Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:00 am