Lack of appropriate subfactions for certain classes
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
Grimmwulf
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Lack of appropriate subfactions for certain classes

There's one concern I have for Gothic III, on a personal level.

As a mercenary in Gothic II, I felt comfortable joining *any* other subfaction. The Circle of Water (as the mercenaries served the water mages in Gothic I), the pirates, the bandits and the thieves guild. As a fire magician or a paladin though, I didn't feel like joining any of the subfactions at all. None of the subfactions are suitable for those two classes. A "Paladin pirate"? A priest of Innos joining the thieves guild? Bah it just wouldn't feel right. I've played through Gothic II once as a Paladin, once as a Fire Magician and eight times as a mercenary now, I just don't feel like playing the paladin or fire magician again as I miss out on so much due to my reluctance to join subfactions with them. For Gothic III, I hope there'll be subfactions suitable for all classes.

I realize that the Gothic Paladin can't be compared to the traditional AD&D Paladin, and that the hero's motivation to become a Paladin or Fire Magician is simply that it seems like the best way of getting his hands on the Eye of Innos, but still... It just doesn't feel right to me. When I play a Paladin I want to roleplay actually being a paladin, not a convict masquerading as one simply to convince them to give him a certain item.
Post Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:39 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Like you, I play "by the rules". I don't pickpocket or sneak around as a Paladin or Mage, hehe. In G3 I've heard of things like Gladiator etc where you can participate and win matches, and this may suit a few Paladins as well, but I think Magicians will forever remain only Magicians. I can't really picture them doing anything other than preaching the word of Innos, and by "my rules" I'll probably stick to that.

It's true though that it limits the game a bit, but at the same time it creates diversity, making each game unique instead of doing the exact same thing every time.
Post Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:47 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

quote:
Originally posted by Maylander

It's true though that it limits the game a bit, but at the same time it creates diversity, making each game unique instead of doing the exact same thing every time.

To me, that is the beauty of Gothic.....you control how you wish to play, and how hard you want to make it.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:00 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Aye, 'tis a great game! Yarrrrr me matey. (Don't ask).
Post Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:32 pm
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

It's not a subclass. You do not have to work with the pirates to complete NOTR, You can just a easily kill them all if you think they are evil.
Post Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:51 am
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

Re: Lack of appropriate subfactions for certain classes

quote:
Originally posted by Grimmwulf
There's one concern I have for Gothic III, on a personal level.

As a mercenary in Gothic II, I felt comfortable joining *any* other subfaction. The Circle of Water (as the mercenaries served the water mages in Gothic I), the pirates, the bandits and the thieves guild. As a fire magician or a paladin though, I didn't feel like joining any of the subfactions at all. None of the subfactions are suitable for those two classes. A "Paladin pirate"? A priest of Innos joining the thieves guild? Bah it just wouldn't feel right. I've played through Gothic II once as a Paladin, once as a Fire Magician and eight times as a mercenary now, I just don't feel like playing the paladin or fire magician again as I miss out on so much due to my reluctance to join subfactions with them. For Gothic III, I hope there'll be subfactions suitable for all classes.

I realize that the Gothic Paladin can't be compared to the traditional AD&D Paladin, and that the hero's motivation to become a Paladin or Fire Magician is simply that it seems like the best way of getting his hands on the Eye of Innos, but still... It just doesn't feel right to me. When I play a Paladin I want to roleplay actually being a paladin, not a convict masquerading as one simply to convince them to give him a certain item.

well thats ur choice if oyu dont join does guilds.I dont really think thatt way.You were in the colony so oyu could be a pali under cover
die dunkle Seite zerstören, wir sollen
Post Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:23 pm
iofushi
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

there was bandit and pirate guilds you could join?all i knew of was the thieves guild.... but yea i hope that there will be alot of sub factions to join
Post Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:52 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

That was in the add-on only..
Post Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:11 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

You don't have the subfactions any more.

In G3 you have different alignments on one hand and different profession on the other hand.

1) Alignments: You can compare this with the guilds in Gothic 1 and 2, although they are not quite the same. In Gothic 3 you will have 6 alignments (behind the group's name is the most likely region where you will find them):
  • Orc Hunters from Nordmarr (ice region in the north)
  • the Orcs (all over Myrtana)
  • Rebels loyal to the king (forest region)
  • Assassins from the Slave traders (desert region)
  • Nomads (desert region)
  • Some still unknown foresttribe (forest region)

The main difference with the old guilds is that you don't have to pick one. You can decide when to help one faction and when to help another. Just the way you want it. You don't have to join one. Your choses do affect gameplay and in the end decide which of the three endings you will get. For example if you always help the orcs, then the orc hunters will not want to help you or even try to kill you.

1) Professions (or jobs): These can be compared to the apprenticeship in Gothic 2. They will be more worked out with more options and possibilities. There will also be six different jobs, which one you pick will not affect the story, but each job will have it's own special things and maybe even bonusses.
  • Gladiator (will be able to make money by fighting in arenas)
  • Hunter
  • Blacksmith (possibly be able to make better weapons or improve/repair weapons)
  • unknown
  • unknown
  • unknown

As you can see the mage story is a little different in G3. You don't join some kind of monastery and become a mage. How it's exactly done with teachers for magic and mana and such is still unknown.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:32 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Very nice Sem! Thanks for the info, that answered quite a few of my questions regarding G3. Where did you get the info anyway?
Post Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:50 am
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Are you sure that one of the factions are Rebels loyal to the king??....unless Lee has already deposed the king the taken over.....
Post Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:07 am
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

yes 100% there will be soldiers still loyal to the king.And is the king dead allready
die dunkle Seite zerstören, wir sollen
Post Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:58 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

quote:
Originally posted by Sem

1) Professions (or jobs): These can be compared to the apprenticeship in Gothic 2. They will be more worked out with more options and possibilities. There will also be six different jobs, which one you pick will not affect the story, but each job will have it's own special things and maybe even bonusses.
  • Gladiator (will be able to make money by fighting in arenas)
  • Hunter
  • Blacksmith (possibly be able to make better weapons or improve/repair weapons)
  • unknown
  • unknown
  • unknown

As you can see the mage story is a little different in G3. You don't join some kind of monastery and become a mage. How it's exactly done with teachers for magic and mana and such is still unknown.

What comes to the uknown jobs, The alchemist job is quite presumable,It would suit quite well for those mage-characters.
Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:54 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

"Are you sure that one of the factions are Rebels loyal to the king??....unless Lee has already deposed the king the taken over....."

Rebels loyal to the king because the kingdom is destroyed and the king probably either in hiding or in some small village with a bunch of rebels.

"yes 100% there will be soldiers still loyal to the king.And is the king dead allready"

Nah, we've heard so much about the king it would be a misstake to just kill him between two games. One of the options in the game will probably be to support the king in restoring the kingdom of Myrtana.

"What comes to the uknown jobs, The alchemist job is quite presumable,It would suit quite well for those mage-characters."

Yeah, that was quite useful in Gothic 2(more so than many believe, even to warriors. Permanent strength potions are great for melee types, mana for mages, and dex for ranged types). Would be a shame if we didn't see it in G3 as well.
Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:50 am
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

Those are the possible guilds I think.What do you say.

1. The presented an assasin in Bremen, I think it belongs to the faction of the Assasins/Slave-traders.
Those will probably be a playable Thief- and Banditsguild and sneaking-skills will be important.

2. When talking about Nomads they could mean the Bedouintents which can be seen on some Artworks in the desert of Varant. They appear to be orientalic fighters and in some books of the previous Gothic parts can be read that they are very skilful fighters. Also you can see on some Artworks that they can fight with 2 one hand weapons. I think that the developers want to fulfill the asking for Ninjas/Samurai with them.

3. The Orc hunters probably will be the Nordmarer shown on the first published artwork who stand in tradition of the mercenaries. They are rough blokes and make their armor out of animals and some iron and they also use trophies. They seem to be proud, wild and honorable warriors.

4. The Woodfolk is maybe the answer to the question for a new camp in the swamp like the one in Gothic 1. Maybe those guys where the athmosphere will be similar to the camp in the swamp are Woodrunners who are good in hunting and herbology and so they are probably skilled archers.

5. The rebels that are loyal to the king are maybe the rest of the army of Myrtana and some Paladins will probably be with them. I don't know if they still rule some towns or if they are all occupied by the orcs but the name rebels indicates that they had to escape and now they try to drive out the orks in an ambush.

6. In the interview with Gamesweb the orcs will see in you the fulfiller of the prophecy we already know from Gothic 1 and if we work with them together they will accept you as the chosen one and they will worship you as a godlike person.

7. Guildless

I think that the PBs picked up their philosophy from Gothic 1 so you don't have to go to a special camp because you want to have a special category. So all population groups will have severals categories and the decision which group you want to join will be and idealistic decision.
Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:48 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next