Gothic Request (Multiplayer )
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Draugr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi all,
I've been hooked on Gothic as sson as I got it. I've been following the game for a long time now and I remember that there was talk of a multiplayer feature. I understand that was cut out. To me there are two major parts to CRPGS and no one has merged both together for the home user.

1) The 1st person Everquest like view with realisticly scaled creatures, buildings, etc...

2) A Fully persistant world that is non linear. Such as Ultima Online.

Both of those games above are massively online blah blah blah..., what I have asked myself a thousand times is this. How come no developer has released a game with the 3D graphics and look of an Everquest or now even the Dark Age of Camelot? Also, how come a CRPG hasn't been released that is a constantly evolving world with many many options for a player, as in Ultima Online? Neither of these two features have been brought together for a solo or single player CRPG (Until Gothic). Finally, none of the above ideas have yet to be bundled together with a multiplayer option that wasn't restrictive to the players. Ex: Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Pool of Radiance. What I'd love to see is a game that includes both ideas 1 & 2 and allows limitless multiplay. Wht I mean by limitless, is the restrictions on the players. If player A wants to go to the south and explore on his/her own then so be it. If player B wants to go to the East on his/her own then that should be ok too. Finally, if player A & B want to pk each other than that should be allowed as well. I have sat around for many years waiting for the first full blown CRPG to come along. Sadly, in my opinion it hasn't. I'm glad that I picked up Gothic because it comes close. It merges ideas 1 & 2 together. The graphics and atmosphere is excellent. If it only had the multiplayer feature, then Gothic would be near perfect if not perfect.
Now, what I'd like to finally see is a home use CRPG with graphics and player view like Gothic or Everquest/Dark Age of Camelot. A persistant ever changing world like Ultima Online or Gothic, and multiplayer features with at least 8 or more (More the merrier) people allowed to join the world and play together. I know alot of people will say Neverwinter Nights will be all of that and will be out nect year. I'll say "Yes I know but have you seen the graphics in the pix for that game? They look like nothing compared to the likes of Gothic or Dark Age of Camelot.
If Piranna Bytes decides to make a Gothic 2 or even a Gothic Add-on, please think about implementing multiplay with 8 or more players and the ability for the game master to have the world running 24/7 with players being able to come and go whenever. Also, have player data stored on the server / host machine to limit cheating.

Well, sorry for the long message, but this is something I've been wanting to say for a long time. Finally I see a game that has come so close, I felt I wouldn't be wasting my time writing this. Theres got to be others here who have thought the same thing or who agree that a game with the above features would be priceless.

Let me know what the rest of you think?

Take Care
John Draugr
Post Thu Dec 06, 2001 9:37 am

I'm wondering if you really have played DAoC? I haven't, but from what I have gathered it's not really comparable to everquest and might even be the best implemented MMORPG yet.
Post Thu Dec 06, 2001 10:30 am

Draugr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I've seen DAOC. I never claimed to play it. My firend has it and I saw it at his house. I was only comparing the 1st person 3D graphics of DAOC. I thought the graphics were pretty good and I was saying that there are no solo CRPGs with graphics or perspective like that with multiplayer features.
Post Thu Dec 06, 2001 10:50 am
Draugr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ohh and my friend who is playing it has played the other MMORPGs and he says DAoC is the BEST one yet! Even better than Anarchy Online.
Post Thu Dec 06, 2001 10:52 am