Usergroups
Bow Revisited
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

I saw a thread, but no answer. Can you get a bow in the English demo? Other than with cheats of course. How about a better sword than the crude sword you can make? I have killed all the monsters in the game(that I can find) And am pretty much stuck with only people to beat up in the arena left. They kick my arse bad! The only armor I have been able to find is diggers pants. I haven't been robbing the camp blind either.

Post Mon Oct 01, 2001 1:29 pm

At the north entrance (the entrance you first come to from the bridge) there is a little room behind the spot where the guard stands by the winch for the gate. If you are quiet enough, you can sneak into that room, pick the lock on the chest, and steal the bow contained in the chest. You will need to trade 5 skill points for 5 points of dexterity by learning from diego in order to use the bow.
Post Mon Oct 01, 2001 5:23 pm

FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

In the demo, the best things you can get are: (Without cheating)

LongBows:
"LongBow" - Crossbows are better, because the Old Camp is a close-quarters battle place.

One-Handed Sword:
"Scar's Sword" - You need like 80 Strength to use this. Just use the Rusty Two-Hander, or Digger's Discipline.

Two-Handed Sword:
"Rusty Two-Hander" - Great sword, only 30 strength is needed for this 61 damage monster.

Crossbow:
"Crossbow of War" - You don't need this, just get the Heavy Crossbow off Jackel. This weapon doesn't take a lot of Dexterity, but by the time you get it, you don't need it.

Longbow: To get the LongBow, just kill the two Rogues that are hunting outside of the Old Camp. They have very little health.

Digger's Disipline: Go steal from the blacksmith to get about $10 000 worth in blades, and buy it from Fisk.

Scar's Sword: This is a useless piece of crap. You need too much strength to use it.

Rusty Two-Hander: This is inside the castle, where Stone works. Just steal it from the chests, he doesn't care. Don't learn One-Handed Sword skills, you don't need it. This is the only sword you will ever want in the demo. And you can't learn Two-Handed skills. Not like it matters.

Crossbow of War: One of the Ore Barons is carrying this. It's very easy to kill them with regular crossbows. They have about 400 health, so it will take you about 7 minutes to kill him with a 30 damage crossbow. But once you get this weapon, you don't need a sword, or anything, because it always deals it's 100 damage for some reason.

Heavy Crossbow: This is optional. But it's recommended that you kill Jackel, because he's a real ass. He is always mad.

All in all, just cheat. It takes too long to play through this demo, without having any goals. You don't accomplish anything in the demo by doing all the quests.

Post Mon Oct 01, 2001 7:37 pm
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

Something tells me I probably could not kill Jackal but I will give him a try. Those two hunters on the other hand might be another story. The two handed sword inside the castle can not be gotten to without cheating.

Post Mon Oct 01, 2001 8:51 pm
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

Oh, any armor aside from the diggers pants?

Post Mon Oct 01, 2001 8:52 pm
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

Herm... Okay, so you don't want to run into the castle with your sword? Well, there are a few ways you can get in.

Go attack Diego inside his hut. The guards at the gate will run to see what's going on, but they will NOT attack you, because in the game, Diego shares his hut with you. While the guards are in Diego's hut, you can run through the gates.

This is NOT cheating. It's like the 1000 ore thing. The guards will be in Diego's hut for about 20 seconds, they just stand inside there making sure he's alright.
So it's purely their fault.

Jackel is the most powerful character in the Demo. His 90 damage crossbow will KILL you in one shot, unless you're at Level 5 or more.

There only armor available to you in the demo is the Digger's Trousers.
You can go around to guard's homes and take their amulets and stuff, but that takes a long time. Because their chests take 6 slots to open.
Post Mon Oct 01, 2001 10:38 pm
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

Well I don't know what the 1000 ore thing, but if its the same as what you say I don't really care to know. <: How can you say luring the guards into Diego's hut is better than running past them with sword drawn? It is taking advantage of things that the creators of the game did not think of. They didn't think of guards reactions when a sword is drawn, if they have another program like guarding a gate. They didn't think of a guards reaction to a fight if they have the same gate guarding routine.

I decided to play around in Gomez's place a little bit. How come some chests do not seem to work with lock picks? No matter which way I try it says start again or breaks my pick. I have picked many other chests in the castle, but certain ones seem resist the lock picks. Like the ones in the weapons room.

Post Tue Oct 02, 2001 1:25 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

If lockpick doesn´t work, you need a key. In this case Gomez owns it.
Post Tue Oct 02, 2001 2:05 pm
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

I am not saying I don't believe you, I do. But that does not make sense to me. It seems every chest that has a lock would have a key. Lockpicks should be used as a way to get around having a key. I does not seem like it should be this chest can either be opened by a key or by a lockpick, but not both.

Post Tue Oct 02, 2001 4:14 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I guess PB simply overlooked it. They easily could have introduced some sort of high security or magic locks. I hope they correct this in the sequel.
Post Tue Oct 02, 2001 4:55 pm
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

Whoa, Stiletto, you sound like an eleven year old.

It's like you don't realize what's realistic, and what's not.

And you're not considering all the reasons of why some things make more sense than others.

The ONLY time that Diego is in his hut, is at night. At night, there are ONLY two guards at the front, they are the gate guards. If they never moved out of their positions, then that would mean that you could do anything you want.

What if I got one of the Diggers to distract the guards for me? Or one of the Shadows?
Well that's what you do. You go attack Diego, then the Guards go to help Diego, then Diego tells them that everything is alright. That's realistic.

Not all locks in the world can be picked. Some locks are of higher security than others.
It's more realistic that the locks in Gomez's house have higher security!
Post Tue Oct 02, 2001 7:58 pm
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

Not that I mind being called an 11 year old <: But I still think my point is valid.

You are saying that in the real world you could break into someones house that you just met, physically attack him, and he would tell people "Ya, everything is alright. I just met this guy but I don't mind that he attacked me and broke into my house." Secondly, there are guards walking around at night. There might be fewer guards, but there is still a guard pressence.

Now I know Gothic is not the real world, but their idea was to have two guards block people from going through a gate until you did certain quests to get access. They did not mean for the guards to be easily duped to allow access to areas that the character is not ready for. They did a great job with the game, and it is only natural that things get through that they just did not think of. There are several such bugs in the game, but they are only there if you take advantage of them. If I figured out I could walk right up to people at a certain again pull my sword and attack them. And because of the angle they can not pull their weapon or move. Is that "A sneak attack that is valid because I am just positioning myself" or is it taking advantage of a flaw in the game? I mean sure its a sneak attack, but sitting there for five minutes hitting the guy while he can't do anything is cheating.

As for the lock picking. Sure some locks are harder than others. But in any world, the thieves are as smart as the people making the locks. There is not a lock in this world or any world that is unpickable. Now I can see "Magic Locks" being a catch all. But in this case, just having sofisticated locks doesn't cut it for me. If I am the best lock picker in the world, I can pick it. None of this unpickable junk. Realistically maybe they could have different lock picks that are for more advanced lock pickers, but since they only decided to use one they should not limit it. They already decided on a way to signify difficult locks, by making the combination to pick it longer and they should have stuck with that. Either that or some sort of magic lock.

Post Wed Oct 03, 2001 2:33 pm
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ahh... Get off these boards. (slight sarcasm)

[Edit] Yeah, I realized that 'Ahh...' does't justify sarcasm.

[ This Message was edited by: FetishFool on 2001-10-03 15:07 ]
Post Wed Oct 03, 2001 6:40 pm
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

Well from that comment, I am guessing that you are not 11 years old. An 11 year old would not be so disrespectful for no reason. I am guessing more like 13-17 years old. Starting to feel macho, but too stupid to control themselves properly.

Post Wed Oct 03, 2001 6:45 pm
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

You ask a few questions - You got a few answers.

Diego 'lends' you his hut during the beginning of the game so that you can sleep there and etc.

He lets you do anything you want to him, beause he knows that he's invincible, and you can't harm him.

Distracting the guards IS NOT CHEATING.

It's like giving them the 1000 ore, so that they turn their head for a second.

-Kevin
Post Wed Oct 03, 2001 6:54 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next