New rpgs?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

New rpgs?

any new games out in the US? I know I already have my hands full with DD but I prolly will be taking a break from it soon. CRPG's that is....and preferrabley not anything like Dungeon Siege or Wizardry 8....too much dungeon crawl and not enough story....bleh... plus they didn't give you much chance to take a breather....monster after monster and no story advancement.....so again....any new rpgs that preferrabley lack those elements? Also....this isn't a requirement....BUT...if it all possible I hope the rpg's that will be mentioned don't give you the option to get towards your goal at the beginning of the game....kind of annoying. DD does this for instance....love the game....but hate that they gave you that option... to meet up with zandalor in the castle...and therefor finishing a great percentage of the game.
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:55 am
New_Maxx
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Game releases are slow in late December and early January, so pretty much nothing has come out for any genre. The definition of 'RPG' is also a debated one, so what one man may call 'RPG' another may call something else.

The next full-fledged, non-MMORPG title will hit US stores in a month: Gothic 2. Harbringer will hit about the same time, maybe a bit earlier.
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:22 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Can’t wait to put my hands on “Lionheart” (around April). Then there is this “Temple of elemental evil” in the summer. If you are desperate you can try “Grom” just went gold.
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:22 pm
New_Maxx
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Seth
Can’t wait to put my hands on “Lionheart” (around April). Then there is this “Temple of elemental evil” in the summer. If you are desperate you can try “Grom” just went gold.

I'm really looking forward to Lionheart. I was a huge fan of the Fallout series, and I'm glad to see someone is using a similar system. It seems like it will be a decent all-around RPG. Truly it looks a lot like Arcanum to me, although I didn't particularly play Arcanum too deeply. But the more RPG's, the merrier, I always say...

There are a few decent RPG's slated for this year, and I'm anticipating some good gameplay in the following months. I hope Sea Dogs 2 turns out as good as it sounds; I was fond of the first in the series, but it was lacking in some areas. I also can't wait for Deus Ex 2, Thief 3, etc. Lots of nice titles coming up.

Right now I'm playing Impossible Creatures, which is difficult to categorize as even partially RPG, although I suppose it does have some RPG-like elements. It'll keep me busy for a little while...
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:23 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Re: New rpgs?

quote:
Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
...preferrabley not anything like Dungeon Siege or Wizardry 8....too much dungeon crawl and not enough story....bleh... plus they didn't give you much chance to take a breather....monster after monster and no story advancement.....so again....don't give you the option to get towards your goal at the beginning of the game...

This year there is still quite many CRPGs on the horizon; and based on your preferences you probably should further check up Sea Dogs 2, Star Wars: KotoR, Gothic 2...
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:33 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

:[]

Wizardry 8 is dungeon crawl similar to Dungeon Siege. Good heavens, did you play this game longer than 3 min and 33 seconds?
Post Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:54 pm
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

W8 certainly sells for a good penny on ebay. I'm still trying to get my hands on a copy. Bloody IDSA hates all the nice abandonware sites trying to keep the old games alive...
"Madness is the first step towards unselfishness. Be mad and tell us what is behind the veil of 'sanity'. The purpose of life is to bring us closer to those secrets, and madness is the only means." --Kahlil Gibran
Post Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:39 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Er... Wizardry 8 isn't old enough to be abandonware.
Post Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:18 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

I saw this earlier and wondered if I was confused about the meaning of "W8"!
Post Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:59 am
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

Possibly not, but it is old enough not to be sold in stores anymore. And therefore I would have to consider it 'Abandonware'. A game that cannot be bought anywhere anymore is effectively 'Abandoned'.
"Madness is the first step towards unselfishness. Be mad and tell us what is behind the veil of 'sanity'. The purpose of life is to bring us closer to those secrets, and madness is the only means." --Kahlil Gibran
Post Sat Jan 18, 2003 6:04 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by ArcturusXIV
Possibly not, but it is old enough not to be sold in stores anymore. And therefore I would have to consider it 'Abandonware'. A game that cannot be bought anywhere anymore is effectively 'Abandoned'.

Quoi?

There are several stores around here that sell the game.
Not that I would ever buy it.
Post Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:36 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by ArcturusXIV

Wizardry 8 was released in November 2001. It´s not even on budget here in Germany.
Post Sat Jan 18, 2003 9:33 pm
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

Goodness, you fellows are lucky. I can't find the bloody thing anywhere locally. Rarely even on Ebay.
Post Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:16 pm
Dhruin

It's still widely available in Australia (and still gets full price). These guys have it in stock in Sydney, for example.

http://www.gamesmarket.com.au/details.cfm?ProdID=3210&

If you're relying on stores like EB you'll never get anything but consoles and the latest releases.
Post Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:26 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Umm...

HAVE you TRIED buying it from teh official site?
Post Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:46 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next