Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Interplay Able to Produce a Decent RPG?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Is Interplay able to produce a decent PC game now (such as Fallout 3)?
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
No
75%
 75%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 20

Author Thread
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Most likely, IPLY will not sell Fallout licence away and will jelously guard the existing FO3 resources. Eventually, they may release some half baked product for the x-box under the Fallout name, hoping to cash in on the legendary name (of course, watch for a major marketing campaign quoting how this is the third installment of the most amazing game ever). And so life goes on.

Best we can all do is ignore IPLY and instead start following games from developers like Troika and Obsidian.
Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:08 am
lighthouse_designs
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Post - Blask Isle / Interplay

Interplay has been around since the early 80's when brian fargo developed the bards tale series (on a dare no less) the rpg games were good then and will be good now . Were sorry to loose the black isle team (14 members in all) but they were contracted in as a division of Interplay not joined as a hole unit but as many smaller units that combined the whole Interplay world. If they were let go they obviously didn't fulfill the obligations set forth by Interplay productions - on that note fallout 3 would be nice but, why bring down the house around already succesfull fallout , and Tactics, furthermore Interplay should bring out a Bard's Tale IV - like the original , common folks lets get back to the basics of programming like the good old days of C64 - those were the true programmers not these fly by night pc enthusiests who like to waste memory and make you upgrade or buy a new computer just to play their game

thank you thats all i have to say on that subject
Lighthouse Designs (Supporter of Interplay)
Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:55 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Re: Post - Blask Isle / Interplay

quote:
Originally posted by lighthouse_designs
If they were let go they obviously didn't fulfill the obligations set forth by Interplay productions - on that note fallout 3 would be nice but, why bring down the house around already succesfull fallout , and Tactics, furthermore Interplay should bring out a Bard's Tale IV - like the original[...]

You really think it's the Van Buren team's fault they were fired? As opposed to, say, Herve Caen who's magnificent financial plans have precceded the current financial disaster? I don't see how it's obvious they did anything wrong.

On the Bard's Tale note, Interplay has already lost it to Brian Fargo's new company, inXile, and they're turning into a console action title. I don't really understand the bit about the PC - but if I read it right you'll be please Fargo is concentrating on the PS2 rather than PC.
Post Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:30 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

LD, please wake up and join the real world. I nearly threw up at your post and I'm not known for that sort of response. I've been buying Interplay games since BT and I'm sickened by what's happened lately. I doubt I'll EVER buy another of their games if they ever make one for PC that is!! Interplay, RIP!!!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:36 am
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

quote:
Originally posted by Namirrha
Programmers for consoles face limitations from CPU power and memory as well as having to learn new languages to write for the different processing units and adapting to different architectures between the systems. The PS2 requires two different languages for its different processing units, and these aren't written in C++ or anything of the like. When porting between different systems, the game essentially must be re-written from the ground up, unless you port from the X-box to PC or vice versa, where the system architectures and coding is somewhat similar.

The game logic can still be written in C++, so you don't have to rewrite the entire game from the ground up. Heck, you can even use special ports of the GCC compiler for the PS2.
Post Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:35 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

*dumps a bucket of cold water on corwin's head*

While I may not have liked what LD wrote, I didn't bite his head off for it. Cool off.
Post Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:49 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by goshuto
quote:
Originally posted by Namirrha
Programmers for consoles face limitations from CPU power and memory as well as having to learn new languages to write for the different processing units and adapting to different architectures between the systems. The PS2 requires two different languages for its different processing units, and these aren't written in C++ or anything of the like. When porting between different systems, the game essentially must be re-written from the ground up, unless you port from the X-box to PC or vice versa, where the system architectures and coding is somewhat similar.

The game logic can still be written in C++, so you don't have to rewrite the entire game from the ground up. Heck, you can even use special ports of the GCC compiler for the PS2.

I think you're right, so my mistake on that part. It's been maybe 6 months since I spoke about it with my friend, before he left BIS. You still need to rewrite a lot of code specifying system calls, IIRC, which are different for each system/OS. I'm not a programmer by trade, besides what little I glean from friends and family, and a little tinkering in my compiler on the side.

LD, if you spoke with former members of BIS as well as some who are still at Interplay, and checked what was going on in the SEC filings, I think you'd have a much different view.
Post Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:08 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2