Which RPG to get?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
IDPuterGuy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Which RPG to get?

I'm looking to get an RPG to play. I'm not into mindless hacking and slashing such as Diablo 2, no offense. Character development and storyline as well as addictiveness are what I'm looking for. I didn't make it past level 8 in EQ either as it was to much hacking for me. I'm considering Baldurs Gate II or Morrowind right now. To play Morrowind I will need a new video card, mobo and processor so that makes it a less attractive option unless the game play is better. Would there be some other titles I should consider as well? Any ideas appreciated!
Post Sun May 26, 2002 2:28 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Welcome to the boards!

You might want to consider Wizardry 8 as well. Gothic was lots of fun too.
Post Sun May 26, 2002 2:37 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

But Wizardry 8, like all wizardries, is drawn out hack and burn fest endurance combats without end.

Considering you have to upgrade so much for Morrowind, get BG2. It's got a nice solid story, great NPC interaction and writing, memorable side quests and a tried and true combat engine.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sun May 26, 2002 3:21 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

He asked for a game with character development. That pretty well eliminates most of those AD&D games in my mind. BG1 let you make level 7, wasn't it? Wow- 7 chances to develop your character. BG2 was higher levels, but I think you still capped out.

I vote for Wiz8, too. Some of the combats can get a little tedious, but when you're digging thru a great story and watching your characters grow constantly, it's worth it. The other one I'd vote for is Planescape:Torment. It's been out a long time, so you might already have it. Extremely story driven so that you don't notice the slower AD&D development.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun May 26, 2002 4:05 am
IDPuterGuy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I'm taking a look at them.

Been reading some reviews on Gothic, it seems pretty cool. Looking for some sites about Wizardry now. Thanks!
Post Sun May 26, 2002 5:02 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magik Obscura has lots of character development and is driven by a good story. Arcanum sounds like it's the kind of game that you're looking for, you might want to look into it.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Sun May 26, 2002 11:36 am
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

There are really a lot of good games to choose from if you haven't played any RPG's in the last couple of years.

What you should choose depends a lot on what you're into.

Personally I'm a huge fan of D&D games even though I see dteowner's point. So I'll recommend any of the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale & Planescape: Torment games. On second thought you may want to avoid Icewind Dale. It's very combat focused and quite linear.

Torment may be the best role-playing game ever made, story-wise. But it’s not for everyone. You need to like the rather strange universe it’s set in.

If you like a post-nuclear setting, go for Fallout 1 or 2. They are a little old so don't expect fancy graphics but they are some of the best games I've played. They also have a lot of stats to fiddle with. Remember to patch it and don't step in front of the NPC's during combat. The morons will be the end of you.

If you are considering Morrowind and don't think your specs are up to the task you should go for Gothic. This game was a total surprise. It has great story and are rather non-linear. You need to get used to the controls though. It's quite annoying in the beginning.

I can't help you with Wiz8. I don't like the First Person View so I never tried it but Morrowind also uses FPV and it's amazing, so it's not all bad.

Haven't played Arcanum either but it sounds good. It's has a Fallout feeling to it.

…and EverythingXen why haven’t you recommended Hillsfar? Sorry couldn’t help it. Just ignore that.
Post Sun May 26, 2002 11:50 am
Elder Dragon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I'd go for Gothic or Baldur's Gate 2 (I could suggest Ultima 7, but you may find this a bit too primitive - in fact, to play U7 you may need to downgrade your computer)
Post Sun May 26, 2002 12:55 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

What a refreshing thought!
Post Sun May 26, 2002 12:58 pm
IDPuterGuy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Lots of games!

Wow, lots of choices and research to do. I've only got about $40 I want to spend on a game then possibly $300 if I do the hardware upgrade. Right now I'm running a dual Celeron 433 board with 256mb SDRAM and a TNT2 Ultra. I know pretty outdated for gaming but it still plays Medal of Honor pretty good. As far as Morrowind goes it sounds neat and very un-linear but it seems like NPC interaction is limited. Guess they just stand around in one place and don't do much. Gothic sounds cool except for it's crappy combat system but it's still an option. Wizardry 8 with turn based combat doesn't really excite me, also read a review that said combat got tedious after a while. Wish I could give them all a spin though!
Post Sun May 26, 2002 11:40 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Go to fileplanet or other places and get the demos. With an RPG try before you buy whenever possible because they're all so different from each other.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon May 27, 2002 2:25 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: Lots of games!

quote:
Originally posted by IDPuterGuy
Right now I'm running a dual Celeron 433 board with 256mb SDRAM and a TNT2 Ultra.

This disqualifies Morrowind. Gothic also will be pretty slow.

I saw on GoneGold last week that Gothic costs only 10$ at EB or Best Buy (don´t remember which one, sorry).

If you prefer story over combat you could try Planescape: Torment.
Post Mon May 27, 2002 6:17 am
Warmaster-Horus
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Time to exact revenge on the local compUSA, i shelled out 40 $ for Gothic, they shall pay, oh yes, they'll pay (me, with a refund)

=Leader of the Horus Heresy=
=Champion of Khorne=
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE THRONE
Post Mon May 27, 2002 7:44 am
Elder Dragon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: Lots of games!

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
quote:
Originally posted by IDPuterGuy
Right now I'm running a dual Celeron 433 board with 256mb SDRAM and a TNT2 Ultra.

This disqualifies Morrowind. Gothic also will be pretty slow.

I have a similar system and Gothic runs fine in 1024x768. A better graphics card might be needed however.
Post Mon May 27, 2002 8:03 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

If you can only buy one game out of the list canvassed I'd make it Baldurs Gate II; not as open ended as MW or Gothic but an excellent D&D/fantasy setting and you can't go past the strategic party combat.

MW is outstanding but your system specs will struggle and it's SO open-ended some people can't get the hang of it. Gothic is an excellent RPG but the controls take some practice and the conversion to English is a bit so-so - but you should consider it.

Wiz8 drove me mad - combat every 10 feet. So much combat I couldn't get into it. And Arcanum frustrated me; great depth but the interface drove me mad, average graphics and I guess the 18th Century setting didn't really suit me.

Also think about whether you prefer a 1st person / 3rd person or top-down party type RPG.

Every RPG'er should play ALL or these though!
Post Mon May 27, 2002 8:27 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next