Boots of Blinding Speed trick? (not levitate) And a Question
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
hyde
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Boots of Blinding Speed trick? (not levitate) And a Question

Hey all, first post so forgive any lack of rpgdot.com-isms I have yet to learn.

I did a thorough search on the Morrowind General forum before posting this and while I found one post regarding this, it was in reply to another post so I'm not sure how many saw it. Perhaps it's old, but for the many posts that seemed to not know of this, I'd thought I'd share if only to reiterate this trick.

****possible spoilers below, read at own risk***
Ok, so we've all pretty much acquired the BoBS right? Most, like myself, found them useless until a friend told me that people were levitating up and flying around with them on. After a few times of forgetting to recast levitate and eating ground, I sold them thinking they weren't worth the trouble, until tonight.... I had just finished the Tel Fyr part of the main quest when those chests in the main guys room in Tel Fyr caught my eye. I managed to get into them both and I found the Curiass with 60% resist Magicka. It was negligably stronger than the ebony I've been wearing, but that resist was tempting so I immediately equipped it. I hopped outside and was preparing to use my boots and my levitate blade to go back to ebonhart for some restore potions when a funny thing happened. The screen only went slightly darker when I equipped the boots. At first, I thought it was a bug, but it wasn't, while the next part perhaps is.

So I had the armor on -then- put on the boots and I now had 273 speed. I sure did move fast (although, not as fast as you would assume) and could see great. Searching for a 'why', I took off my armor thinking that was the reason I could still see expecting to go blind once I took it off. Here's the bug/trick - You can unequip the armor after you've put on the boots and retain the benefits of being only slightly blind (dimmer view). Now you can reequip whatever you else you want. This curiass being only 15wt, it becomes an item like the boots; you carry it around for when you need it.

If you equip the boots, then the armor, you will still be blind. So Armor first, then boots = 80% or so vision (it's not 40% dimmer). Then lose the armor and re-equip your daedric or whatever you have but keep that uber speed. Sure the armor sucks on the boots, but that speed comes in handy.

Hope this is refreshing to some. I had sold the boots long ago thinking they were useless and now my friend who has yet to find Pendaric (sp?) is quite interested in them for this reason. They're especially great for clearing area of the world map you have yet to travel through.

Now, if anyone has made it through this drawn out explanation, would anyone mind telling me how truly important Armor Rating is in this game? What's the factor to determine overall AR? One piece of my armor eclipses my total AR rating. Is it an average or? Any true formula to figure out what AR total will reduce damage by X amount?
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 6:59 am
Prgrmr@wrk
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Curiasses seem to affect your armor the most (logically). Shields provide more then just armor, they also block, which is an additional defence alltogether. Armor skill of course is very important, and affects your AR drastically. (Difference between 21 and 180 on some plates) (Daedric Plate has an AR = 1.6 times your Heavy Armor Skill)
Armor does help you not get hurt when your agility fails you. Everytime you hear a "chink" or "clink" your armor is working.

The magic Curiass is *supposed* to work that way, even though it probably shouldn't. Since the BoBS only cast the blinding affect when they are put on, and not constantly while they are on your feet, it only needs to be dispelled once. Even a potion of dispell can eliminate the blindness until you put the boots back on again. Once it's partly dispelled, use some sort of night vision (I have a robe of 40pts constant Night Vision), and you'll be back to normal. I wear the boots everywhere I go, even during battles.
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 11:53 pm
Hawthorne
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I have been able to see fine ever since I got the Boots of Blinding Speed.
The screen gets slightly darker but that's all. I have used them with a number of different kinds of armor too.

They work great for swimming and levitating.

I always put them on when traveling cross country but they can be handy in dungeons too, the bad guys can't catch you.

I didn't even know they were supposed to make you blind.

Mike
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 2:37 am
theohall

Much lighter weight method

Enchant an item with Cast 100% Resist Magicka on self for 3 seconds.

Select object, cast spell, put on boots. You now have 100% vision and can carry out the much lighter weight item. I used an expensive ring and a common soul gem with an Ancestral Ghost.

Works like a champion.
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 3:36 am

sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

The above will not work if you have an Altmer or the Apprentice Birthsign. These reduce your natural magic resistance, and thus you will need a 150% spell, or in the case of both of those combined, a 200% spell.
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 3:45 am