Pet Hates? No Pets please.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Pet Hates? No Pets please.

A tiny point, as I seem to have said nothing but good things about the game so far. I have found a pet hate.

Being sent on missions where you need to get an amount of money or an item off someone. Only to get there and find that they tell you that they are not prepared to talk to you about it! BAH!

Having neglected my speechcraft a little, I have no hope of intimidating someone. Compliments also end in disaster. This leaves me with Bribery or violence, or theft. My WoodElf is not all that handy with a sword, though he is becoming a dab hand with the Bow. He can become invisible, but is a hopeless sneak thief.

That leaves me stumping up the gold! To get the code book I needed for the fighters guild, cost me 120gp.. my reward was 50gp!!! Now they want me to recover a gambling debt and guess what. "I don't see why I should discuss my debts with the likes of you". Yup... so do I have to get the wallet out again?

Would really much rather find a decent hiding place and fill this woman full of arrows for being so rude.. then take the money. Ahhh but then you want to avoid the Imperial Entanglements, and that's the real trick aint it kid. (Sorry, slipped into Star Wars mode there.)

I realise of course that I have effectively limited my own character with the choices I made at the beginning, But I wanted to try to accept whatever limitations life in the game through at me as a consequence of those original choices.

Still If I want to advance in the guild, I need to find a new approach to this kind of problem. Ah Well.

Talk to you later.

Badger.
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:09 pm
Lisje
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Assuming you did the first little errand you got sent on right at the beginning of the game, you've already met a trainer for speechcraft who is predisposed to give you training at a good price. It may turn out to be worth the investment now - then practice on people roaming the towns, not vendors you may want to deal with later. Of course, this is assuming a no-cheat gameplay style (otherwise quicksave/restore can help alot)
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 6:07 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Wow, I feel sorry for you, my thief came out of the census office with the equivalent of 1000 in gold.

What I did was this: I took a swipe at a guard, who then told me to stop, then I did it again, and again, and again, until he died, then I took all of his armour, and did it to the next guard. With the guards gone, I could now steal all of the stuff on the shelves.
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:19 pm
Rhys

Heh...

Actually, I almost had the reverse "problem" with the game--if you ever have a quest that requires you to collect money, you can just pay it yourself. I was particularly flush at one point during the game (advantage of being unarmored and getting a good weapon early) when I was doing the "raise money for the Imperial Cult" quests.

"Can you go to the Argonian mission and raise 200 gold?"

Well, YES I CAN; in fact, I can DOUBLE that amount without leaving the room!

"Wow, that was amazing! Can you get 200 gold from the Skyrim mission?"

YES I CAN; in fact, I can double THAT amount without leaving the room too!

"Holy smoke; how about running to Balmora and seeking alms for the poor from all the publicans?"

Not a problem; I have double their donations right here!

...kinda took away from the verisimilitude of the simulation. But hey, nothing's perfect.

-->Rhys
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 4:04 am

Hawthorne
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

You’re lucky I tried to bribe her with a thousand gold and she still hasn't given me the book. I killed her and it wasn't in her inventory either.

Mike
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 4:42 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

LOL! Thanks for the advice all.

Lisje, who was the speechcraft trainer then.. It wasn't the Rat Lady was it? Er..... that is to say the Lady with the Rats, as opposed to The Rat Lady. I mean, for all Iknow there are actually "Rat Ladies" later in the game.. I er.. wouldn't want to confuse the issue.

I did already didn't I..... sorry
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:32 pm
Glorfindel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

To change the question a bit - it isn't how to get the book, it is whether to get the book. At least that is how I am playing the game. There are factions and factions within factions. One can play the game by treating every quest as an independent puzzle to solve or one can play it by looking at the bigger picture. I have decided where I stand on some of the factional issues although others remain unclear. On that basis it is wrong for my character to hurt the thieves guild by helping the fighters guild help the Cammona Tang - who don't like me and I don't like them. So I bribed and sweet talked my way to the code book but have not - and will not - hand it over, unless some new revelations make me rethink my faction biases. This is the sort of thing that has added a great deal of role playing depth and enjoyment to MW, more than any other game for a long time. Am I the only one who asks should I instead of how do I?
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:43 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Good point Glorfindel. I would have to admit to approaching the fighters guild missions so far, on a "Get it, Do it, Done it" basis. I have not given much thought to the various political aspects envolved and so I expect I am missing out.

I did curse over the code book, because it had been a while since I'd saved and I didn't think to save imedeately prior to reporting back to the guild after that mission. SO when the requester came up, Hand the book over / don't hand the book over. I didn't want to muddy the waters with my new boss, so I gave her the book. But given the choice again, I would have liked to look inside. I just didn't want to backtrack as far as I would of had to, to retry it.

I am going to stay away from the fighters guild for a little bit just now. The next mision is I know "Recover the debt" and I'm not ready for that yet. So I thought I would try to solve this murder I heard about. But when I go to the manor (seems like a good starting place) it's all locked up. Hmmm maybe I will have to break in.. seems a bad way to start a relasionship with the occupants. "Hi There.. sorry to have smashed in your front door.. but I'd like to help you".
Post Fri Jun 07, 2002 7:28 am
Lisje
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Badger, your BOSS teaches speechcraft! How else would a guy who seems to never wear a shirt rise to the high rank he evidently holds?
Post Fri Jun 07, 2002 7:30 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Gaghghgh it's not my fault Lisje... my guide dog is in for repair at the kennel!
Post Fri Jun 07, 2002 7:41 am