Magic users skills question.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Jenny
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Magic users skills question.

Okay, first of all....thanks for all the help. I hope I'm not being a pest with my lame questions.

I'm going to restart with a new party (again) and hopefully this will be the last time.

I think I have my fighters primary attributes figured out but now I have to do my casters. I have a Mage, Psionic and a Priest. Can anyone tell me where I should spend my starting points for each class and then what should be the first attributes I max on my level up points?

Thanks a lot.
Post Sun Sep 01, 2002 12:28 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

For the mage, you want to get to 100 intelligence ASAP. For the priest, same story with piety. Although the psionic supposedly uses senses, he actually uses stats (and can be developed) identical to the mage.

As for where you put your other points:
1) Mage and psionic- piety gets you more mana points, which never hurts.
2) Everybody- I've always favored a fast party, so I usually go with speed. My theory is that he who attacks first kills first. Since spellcasters in general are pretty weak, many people like to boost endurance to get a few extra HP.

To some extent, it will depend on what races you decide to go with, and how you like to play the game. You can't screw up too badly, so don't sweat it too much. Of course, this comes from the guy that's restarted the game well over a dozen times...

Edit: PS- don't worry about being a pest. Us "experts" here are always willing to demonstrate our amazing wisdom to anyone that will listen. otter's played the game so much that you can't go wrong with any hints he gives.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Sep 01, 2002 12:43 am
otter
One of Us

I, too, like Speed, but a fast Psi casting Haste is all you need if everyone has at least 50 Speed and Senses. The boost from the spell gets you over 50 more Speed cast at L7. Senses is also good for combat Attack Rating.
I also like to make sure everyone maxxes Dex as soon as possible; it helps Combat as well as AC when you get Reflextion.
Another thing i like to do is run one Bishop instead of 2 of anything else. Then you can either add a tank (or whatever) or get more XP per character with a smaller party.
I definitely agree about Powercast, if you're going to want offensive magic to have noticably more punch, that char should max Int ASAP. Nobody else really needs Int, there're some things you learn faster with it higher, but you can practise a little more to make up, and get more Vit, or Dex, or whatever. Pi helps with Stamina and SP, and having your main healer get Iron Will makes sense; it helps prevent many forms of incapacitation.
Post Sun Sep 01, 2002 2:50 am