Members
Usergroups
i feel for u
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Spawnster75

i feel for u

After reading all the post about how MW brings to the knees of nearly all the high-end PC's, i've gotta say that i feel sorry for these owners. if i hv a high end system too, i guess i will feel the same way. i mean after spending so much of yr hard-earned $$$$ to get aGF4Ti4600/4400, 2.2ghz processors, 512 DDRAM, etc. and not being able to play MW smoothly - yeah i will feel quite frustated . what's the problem - i don't know - maybe our expectation is too high or Bethesda probably rushed through the release and didn't fully optimized the codes. anyones guess.

Anyway, my persoanl experience of MW with my mid-range system. (maybe even lower). check out my spec:

P3 933Mhz, 320mb SDRAM, 32mb GF2MX (o'c to 182/192 from default 166/175), 20GB 5400rpm h/d, SBLive!Value. 28.32 drivers. defrag my h/d about 1 month ago. no RAM optimizing. just install and play.

View distance : a little below MAX
AI : 1/4 from MIN
Sound quality : HIGH
Shadow : none
Reso : 1024x768x32bit
Pixel Shader : none of course
AxA : none

Getting average 30-40 in indoors and dungeons, 9-15 outdoors and city. not as smooth but still quite playable. also got the stutering. maybe it's loading a different district. so actually i was quite happy with the performance after reading so much complain on high end systems getting more or less the same fps as mine. so enjoy! it's just a matter of mind over matter if u get my meaning.

I just got my copy of MW on Sunday. Playing from 4pm all the way to 12.30am Great game. haven't even crashed on me yet! initially i was quite worried that my system wouldn't be able to run it smoothly but for me it's okay with my 1 yr old system.

but MW is a great game and it's sad to see some of u contemplating of returning it or throwing it out of the window!!??? just because the game is bringing yr PC's to it's knees. look on the bright side, at least it's playable. life is full of compromise. give and take a little n u may just experience the most groundbreaking game in the RPG industry. just my $0.02.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 5:57 am

Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I do not consider a game that slows to a complete halt (yes, a complete halt) every few seconds to be "playable". I've adjusted all of the settings and the game just gets worse and worse.

How many people actually have a system that is good enough to play this game? Maybe if enough of us return the game Bethesda will do something about this. But I bet they don't. My guess is that the attitude will be "tough luck" for those who for some reason can't play the game. And I have had the game for three days now, struggling for two. The clock is ticking, and if the game isn't working properly by next Friday, it goes back to the store.

I'll spend my hard earned money on a game that actually works instead. And there's lots of RPG's coming out this year. I'm sure my system will be able to handle most of them.

When are the people who make these games going to publish the "real" specifications on the box, instead of sucking in all of us poor idiots who blindly buy a game thinking that our systems will be just fine, based on what we are told?
Post Mon May 06, 2002 6:15 am
Spawnster75

even though i'm experiencing the 'stutering'/'complete halt', it's not so often. in the beginning it was quite obvious but after the first few hours i've completely overlooked it. i only experience it when i'm going to a new district and maybe that's the problem. maybe u were going in and out of the districts??? it's sort of like Dungeon Seige where u don't even notice levels loading when u go into dungeons and out to the forest. very clever programming IMO. however for MW maybe the coding is not as good as DS. u do load when u're going indoors but it's very fast in loading on my PC. then imagine how big the 'outside' world in MW is and it'll be a technological feat to be able to play the outside world without any loading.

in Gothic there was no loading times in the outside world and the camps 'cos compared to MW, it's just a small fraction of the Vvanderfall. well my $0.02 again

not sure why other people r experiencing a 'complete halt'. could it be that i was lucky? hv u experienced any other problems in other games?
Post Mon May 06, 2002 7:33 am

XannyD
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

My son's computer is a tad slower than mine and Morrowind runs
better on his. After trying different things, I have found that it may
be that his computer's harddrive is formatted FAT32 and mine was
converted from FAT32 to NTFS. ????

NTFS does make my harddrive slower.
I benchmarked it before and after NTFS.
It was much faster when it was FAT32.

I notice that when the game stutters, the harddrive light is going.
When it halts, it is just different areas loading.

On my son's computer, these things happen much quicker.

To go back to NTFS, I'll have to do a reformat and reinstall. Oh well. Fun.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 7:58 am
XannyD
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

To go back to FAT32 I mean. Tired, must sleep.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 8:01 am
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Hehe, just start formatting and go to bed. Sleep well
Post Mon May 06, 2002 8:18 am