Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Interesting Idea pertaining to Framerate whiners.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Interesting Idea pertaining to Framerate whiners.

Anyone of you played Baldurs Gate 2? I ran that on my old computer which was a AMD700 and its a completely 2d engine and it had slowdowns. This goes to show then where there are a lot of things to track that slowdowns may occur. Peopld just need to understand that and understand that Framerates don't mean anything..ignore them and play the game..enjoy the game for the Masterpiece that it is..
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:29 pm

That's odd.... I played BG2 on a AMD 500 with only 128mb RAM and a TNT video card and I never once experienced a single slowdown.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 6:11 pm

Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I'm sure you did, you probably just don't remember..it's not that noticable but to all those very picky people that are bitching about low framerates..
Post Wed May 08, 2002 6:19 pm
Radix

I agree - MW isn't Quake or UT people! You aren't going to get crazy, wild and fast game play in MW. This is an RPG where you take your time and do stuff not go on crazy fragfests!

This game is very playable with 20-30 fps outdoors. This game will NOT run perfect on your cheapo Gateway/Dell/3-year-old system you thought was badass anymore. MW actually is a step up from what we all have been playing for the last few months so DEAL WITH IT and get an upgrade and QUIT whining.

If you wanna play the latest and greatest and most innovative games, then you have to have the latest, greatest and most innovative hardware to run it on. It's just common sense. And if you do happen to have the latest and greatest hardware, then you should have no problems and if you do then you are an idiot with a computer so go back to playing solitaire.[/img]
Post Wed May 08, 2002 6:39 pm

p0rnflake
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: Interesting Idea pertaining to Framerate whiners.

quote:
Originally posted by Shifter
Anyone of you played Baldurs Gate 2? I ran that on my old computer which was a AMD700 and its a completely 2d engine and it had slowdowns. This goes to show then where there are a lot of things to track that slowdowns may occur. Peopld just need to understand that and understand that Framerates don't mean anything..ignore them and play the game..enjoy the game for the Masterpiece that it is..

Why the new thread ?? This is allready discussed elsewhere as you know !

About you BG2 example - try considering this instead - Have would you like watching a movie where the framerates went up and down from 10 to 30 all the time - it would suck - agreed ??

To me playing a computergame is just the same, to get that great feeling of being in the world of morrowind you dont need to be reminded every 20 seconds - that you are sitting in front of a PC that cant display the world your in at a speed that makes you forget where you really are.

It ruins my experience completely.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 7:00 pm
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Ah I missed the old thread.

Anyways, I think comparing movies to video games is pretty stupid (IMO).

All VCR's will play a tape the same (assuming the tape and VCP are not broken)..whereas computers will play a game completely different depending on their technology etc..but oh well ..
Post Wed May 08, 2002 8:11 pm

Slowdowns in BG2: the easiest way to make that engine take a big crappola was to cast the different "cloud" spells like Stinking cloud, Cloudkill, or Web (which had a similar graphic). They had this lame little animation of puffs of smoke over the area of effect fading in and out. One big thing to do in tough battles was to cast Web, Web, Web (freeze your enemies in place) then Cloudkill, Cloudkill, Cloudkill, Cloudkill (choke them to death). Do this on a mage who is trying to generate there own spells and watch the framerate go down to LESS than one.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 10:29 pm

Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
Slowdowns in BG2: the easiest way to make that engine take a big crappola was to cast the different "cloud" spells like Stinking cloud, Cloudkill, or Web (which had a similar graphic). They had this lame little animation of puffs of smoke over the area of effect fading in and out. One big thing to do in tough battles was to cast Web, Web, Web (freeze your enemies in place) then Cloudkill, Cloudkill, Cloudkill, Cloudkill (choke them to death). Do this on a mage who is trying to generate there own spells and watch the framerate go down to LESS than one.

That's exactly the kind of thing I was talking about, and considering MW is completely 3d and never bogs down as much as that..people should be happy.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 10:48 pm
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous

That's exactly the kind of thing I was talking about, and considering MW is completely 3d and never bogs down as much as that..people should be happy.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 10:49 pm
Lady Rae
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The problem is not with the frame rates or slow downs. I just get bored when it takes five minutes to walk next door. (Slight exaggeration there )

I realize we're trying for very real, but I'd like my walking around speed to be faster.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 11:01 pm
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Rae
The problem is not with the frame rates or slow downs. I just get bored when it takes five minutes to walk next door. (Slight exaggeration there )

I realize we're trying for very real, but I'd like my walking around speed to be faster.

I havn't figured out anyones complaints here, when I am walking (running) around my character is pretty fast..of course I have 100 speed...that might be why..heh
Post Wed May 08, 2002 11:04 pm