Overclocking Bus
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Overclocking Bus

Is there any benefit of getting ddr500 or higher memory if you don't overclock your 800fsb mobo? I thought perhaps it was like the old pc100 and pc133 ram. Even though you run the pc133 ram on a pc100 mobo, you still get a bit more speed. Is it the same with the DDR? Also, is AMD going to be coming out with any cpu's for the s939 that will require a higher FSB then 800? I ask this because I am upgrading soon to a s939 and I want it to support all the future s939 chips before they change the socket for next generation cpu's. This is another reason I ask about ddr500. If AMD decides that there last s939 is going to run on 1000fsb, then I want to be able to overclock my mobos FSB without any problems. Greatly appreciate any info on this.
Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:28 am
gamemaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Doesn't overclocking of any sort lead eventually to other system problems or burnouts?
Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:39 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

Well, you can always increase the FSB and lower the multiplier for higher bus speed at the same processor speed, which leads to greater memory bandwidth, and that's a performance gain, too.

I don't know if AMD is going to move on to DDR500 memories, more likely they will instead change to DDR2. But buying DDR500 RAM for a Socket 939 system is certainly not wrong, especially if you buy a new 0,09 micrometer "Winchester" Athlon 64. Then you can overclock pretty much without fear for overheating, since the Winchesters are much cooler than the old 0,13 micrometer Newcastles.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:16 pm