Why can't I join the old camp?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
flvinny521
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Why can't I join the old camp?

I have completed almost all quests for the three separate camps, and now I'm ready to join the old camp. However, when I talk to Diego about my esteem, he ends with "not bad for a beginner", or something like that. I believe that I have convinced enough shadows to let me join the camp. The quests I have completed for the old camp are:

I returned the list from Ian at the old mine to Diego.

I beat Kirgo in the arena to impress Scatty.

I challenged Kharim and lost to impress Scatty.

I found Nek's body and returned the necklace to Sly.

I learned 1st level lockpicking and 1st level pickpocketing to impress Fingers, and I also learned to sneak from Cavalorn.

I retrieved Whistler's sword from Fisk to impress Whistler.

I stole Cor Kalom's recipe in order to impress Dexter.

It seems to me that this should be enough to join, but I did screw up these quests:

Thorus is mad at me because I mentioned his name to Mordrag. (I later followed Mordrag to the new camp, but I guess Thorus won't give me credit for getting rid of him since I failed the quest at first)

Also, Diego tells me that Fisk is mad because Mordrag left, and he mentions that I should find a replacement.

I have talked to everyone I can find (in both the old and new camps) and nobody seems to be interested in replacing Mordrag, so I don't know how to please Fisk, and it seems that I can't do anything about Thorus. Is it possible for me to join the camp or am I stuck with the swamp camp now? I thnk I may just give up on the game if that's the case, but I'd really like to continue. Please help!
Post Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:47 pm
genghiskhan66
City Guard
City Guard

Hi Flvinny

You seems to get everything right except the part with Thorus. I think it is quite important to impress Thorus because if you did.....Diego WILL mention something abt Torus , when you ask him about "esteem" that automatically let you join the Old camp.

You did get the quest from Thorus to get rid of Mordrag?
When you confronted Mordrag.......you must use "you got a problem"

Hmm...there maybe something missing....i did almost exactly like what you did with the exception of Thorus's quest.

Unless I am wrong..I hope other members can correct me.

try again, flvinny.....dont give up because the games gets better and better. It is truly a solid game .
Even if you can;t join new camp, other camps are cool as well.

Each camp have their strenght and benefit.
Post Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:18 pm
flvinny521
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yes, I did get the Thorus quest, and I did start by saying "You got a problem", but then I said something about Thorus. I forgot that Thorus didn't want me to mention his name. Even though I got rid of Mordrag later by following him to the new camp, he's still mad at me for using his name and won't speak up for me. I even tried speaking to Gravo (who's supposed to be able to fix conflicts) to try to make Thorus like me, but he just says that Thorus doesn't have a problem with me.... please help!

P.S. Unfortunately, now my only option is to join the swamp camp because I've already given the list from Ian to Diego, and can't give it to anyone from the new camp.
Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:38 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Talk to the Old guy named Garvell or something next to the water by the front of the castle. He is the one who 'makes things right' when you are in trouble with someone important. It happen to me with Gomez, I spoke to the old guy, for 500 gold he 'made things right' with him so I could go back and join the Old camp!

Your game is not lost! Just go talk to the old guy there and for a price he will pull some strings and 'reset' thier attitude to good with Thorus, Diego, or Gomez.

Be careful of what you say!
Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:43 am
flvinny521
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I did talk to Gravo already, and he says that nobody has a problem with me...
Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:56 am
genghiskhan66
City Guard
City Guard

If all else failed....and if you really want to join old camp.....start the game again. You are still at the very early part of the game and since you have gone thru them...you can easily breeze thru them.
I went thru the beginning part 3 times....thats because earlier on when I started the game...I screwed up a few time as well

I never regretted it.
Also in each camp that you go to..make a few saves ..like maybe 3 or 4 save slot for a single camp. So if you make a major wrong turn...you can restart from a particular save point....it will save you lots of travellin time.

From what you've mentioned...it seems that there is nothing much you can do. Either stick to the swamp camp....or restart the game to join the old camp.

My personal favourite, howeverr, is the New camp.
Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:22 am
Ricky
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Ya should be able to just go to Thorus and tell him that ya are ready to join the old camp, even if ya haven't been able to get Mordrag out of the camp !!! So i can't imagine that ya shouldn't be able to join because ya used Thorus' name ... And if Gravo says there's no problem then it should work out.
Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:17 am
flvinny521
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Okay, well it seems that nothing is going to work, so I'm going to just start over. I'm keeping my save games though, so if anyone can come up with another solution please let me know!
Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:10 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

If you donīt want to start over you can download a quickstart savegame.
Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:09 pm
flvinny521
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Actually, I'm going to go ahead and start over... Normally, this would be enough to make me sick of a game, but I have heard some great things about Gothic, so I'll give it another shot. Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll just be sure not to mess up the Thorus quest this time!
Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:21 am
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

flvinny521:
quote:
Also, Diego tells me that Fisk is mad because Mordrag left, and he mentions that I should find a replacement.

You have to look for the replacement in the new camp, not the old one. It's the merchant close to Lares.
NFG member
Post Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:07 pm