Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion Interview about the technical side
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion Interview about the technical side

Most of you will - like me - have had enough of the ever the same previews of Oblivion (Bethesda was tight-lipped about the game lately, so sites hadn't much of a choice, really). Now there is a very interesting <a href="http://www.elitebastards.com/page.php?pageid=12316" target="_blank">interview</a> at Elite Bastards with Gavin Carter, one of the producers, asking very intelligent questions and receiving very interesting answers therefore *g*. Here's how the interview starts:
<br>
<br><blockquote><em>Elite Bastards: Can you give us an overview of the main features used by the games graphics engine (i.e. Shader Models, texture sizes, HDR etc)?
<br>
<br>Gavin Carter: Oblivion’s renderer is a mix of the Gamebryo renderer with a healthy dose of our own internally developed technology. The engine fully supports shader models up to and including 3.0. We employ a full HDR lighting solution throughout the game. Textures utilize all the latest shader technology including normal maps, specular maps, and parallax maps. We’re hammering away on our soft-shadow model. There shouldn’t be any technological buzzword out there that current games are using that we don’t have built into our renderer.
<br></em></blockquote>
<br>
<br>They further discuss differences between the Xbox 360 version and the PC version (shouldn't be many for high end PC's), physics, AI and the sound system, amongst others. There's really a lot to learn from this interview, and if you are interested in Oblivion, this is a must-read for sure.
<br>
<br>In a related note: Expect a site update at <a href="http://www.elderscrolls.com" target="_blank">the official Elder Scrolls site</a> later today. While we don't know what will be posted there, it should be more than just the usual bunch of links to new previews...
Post Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:22 pm
slak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

That's the first useful interview of Oblivion since 2004.
Why does everyone else ask the same questions, if they had an interest in the game they should read other sites previews/interviews aswell.

Finally some smart people ask some good questions.

Also I'm curious as to how you (RPGDot) know that the official site is going to be updated?
Post Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:43 pm
JuliusMagnus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by slak
That's the first useful interview of Oblivion since 2004.
Why does everyone else ask the same questions, if they had an interest in the game they should read other sites previews/interviews aswell.

Finally some smart people ask some good questions.

Also I'm curious as to how you (RPGDot) know that the official site is going to be updated?

Bethesda's man in charge of PR posted that there would be an update this friday on the official website. But I'm afraid that the site update he mentioned was *only* some news on and an audio snippit of the new obivion soundtrack (see the next RPGdot newsbit on oblivion).

It's not that I don't like music but I was hoping for something more...
Post Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:05 pm
Cabezone

Thank you Elite Bastards

Finally something new and interesting. I've been waiting for some dual proc details for a while now. Looks like I made the right choice with my X2.
Post Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:27 am

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

quote:
Originally posted by slak

Pete Hines announced it on the forums - and I scan them as often as possible. In addition to that, we have good and trustful contacts with Bethsoft and the dev team - as we try to have with many developers.
Post Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:59 am