low level and killed the fire dragon
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

low level and killed the fire dragon

I am playing the addon as a ranger/mage and had an odd thing happen.

I talked to Lord Hagen and entered chapter 2. I have taken ALOT of time and built a very potent character, training ONLY dex and bow. I carry a sword of 100 damage......but that is not my point.

My wife wanted to see what the dragon looked like, so I killed the lizardmen, then looted the dragons stash above. My wife wanted a closer look, so I saved and went to "attempt" to kill him........thinking he was immortal since I don't have the Eye of Innos yet. Well, he was'nt immortal. I killed him in a short time I did'nt go try other dragons yet, but maybe I will later

Is this a bug, or anomaly, or what? I had never tried it because I thought it was impossible.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:42 am
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Might bug your game in chapter 5. I remember fighting the red dragon at around level 40 with pretty much the best weapons in the game and he was still too tough for me - he was far harder than the regular non-addon version, I had to use black ore to take him down. Maybe arrows are uber against dragons? I know the 2 archers you get to help you against the addon green dragon do tons of damage to him.

A ranger/mage you say? But aren't all the new mage weapons in the addon 2-HD staffs? Still it will probably work out well thanks to all those tablets that boost your attributes/skills and potions.
Post Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:37 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

I think killing the dragon even if it is a bug would skank my game, so I reloaded from the save. Later, just for the hell of it I attacked the stone dragon and he was immortal.(but I was able to loot his stash easily. He started fighting a stone wall and ignored me :/ )

I think I will play around with this.......example: load the save, see IF the fire dragon will die again, then go after each dragon in different orders.......just to see wtf happens.

FYI: The fire dragon attacked me IMMEDIATELY, before I even entered the passage to get to him. The stone dragon sat passively until I smacked him one.

Another FYI: I always thought the Paladin's holy arrow was tooooooo strong. Now that I have built a good ranger/mage I see it is overkill. I can kill anything with a little thought....it is WAY too easy at this point. I can't count how many level ups I have had in chapter 2 as a ranger, but I have a shitload of LP's I can use....but I don't need them :/ My bow will drop an orc in 2 shots, and an orc elite in 3. Lizardmen are 2 shots where fireball takes like 40,000 shots to kill one.

Frankly, I am getting bored with the ranger/mage. Chapter 2, yes TWO, and I can kill anything I face :/ Even a dragon snapper is 4 shots...draw him to you, fire 2 quick shots, slide left, fire another, back up a couple steps and finish him.

I got bored killing lizardmen with a bow, so I whipped out my trusty sword....then I remembered the easy way to kill them. Of course you must realize I try very hard to face only ONE opponent at a time........but the lizardmen are very easy with my sword also. They run at you and raise their sword high with their right hand.....a right to left sword swing stops them and gets alot of their health, then it is your choice to do and overhead(forward)swing, or wait for a sec until they raise the sword high again. I can't believe I thought they were so tough the first time I saw them. They are easier than elites or dragon snappers.....by far.

Sorry for the long post, but I am truly depressed. Mage is a very hard character to play.......normally. Normally I would train strength to about 40ish, get a lamish sword, do the quests and spend my points very miserly. I would eventually get a decent rune, do some hit-n-run on tough vobs, and gain some lps. Because I had never played notr as a ranger, I REALLY bulked up my character by doing every possible quest.....used every bit of help I could get....basically used my limited brainpower to make sure my ranger/mage would not be a wimp...........MAN, was I wrong! I gave birth to a killing machine without remorse lol.

I have never reverse marvin'd my character, but I might have too. Chapter 2 and I am like our hero in Gothic 1 just before he banishes the sleeper

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:06 am
Jazzy_s
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

well another way to deafeat a Dragon very easy is to frozen him use the ice-wave, while he is frozen beat the crap out of him.
But you know it's not very cool, but if you can't do it another way........
Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:55 pm
lilithn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: low level and killed the fire dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Uriziel
I am playing the addon as a ranger/mage and had an odd thing happen.

Hello, pretty new here. I need some advice if you don't mind. I played Gothic I as guard /later merc. Gothic II as paladin a year ago, played it once again and finished a few weeks ago as merc, never tried being a mage. I've just started playing NotR (and am I damn frustrated, it got bloody hard! those puny bandits can kill me with one swipe! nevermind) and I thought of playing as a mage for a change. Is it worth it?

Everybody says it's pretty hard at the beginning even without the addon. And with the addon it's hard at the end too they say.

I'm a regular "kill every monster, explore every cave, collect a soulgem with every monster...oops wrong game... level as much as I can" type. But I want my hard work to fruit some satisfaction. Like killing an elite orc with a touch of a hand , not running around screaming at level 40.

Is it worth it? Any advice? Especially for the beginning. Should I invest in some bow and dex for the beginning? I'm always the "jump in the middle" type, but this time I think they made it a little tiny bit too hard and i love this game, and I would begin to hate it if all I done is loading again and again and running away from fights, that's why asking. Thanks for the reply.
Post Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:24 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Re: low level and killed the fire dragon

quote:
Originally posted by lilithn
it got bloody hard! (...) and I thought of playing as a mage for a change. Is it worth it?

Everybody says it's pretty hard at the beginning even without the addon. And with the addon it's hard at the end too they say.

Trust me it will get even harder.
It's best to play the addon first with a pally or a merc, so you get to know the new learning system and the difficult areas. Because as a mage you really can't make any mistakes with learning points. You'll gonna need every lp you've got to boost your mana, because learning mana has become a lot more expensive and using runes costs a lot more mana.
Post Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:32 pm
lilithn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well that's what I was afraid of. Ok, I think I will try the mage sometime without the addon. Or try out the customizer of _aldee. Or something. This ranger/mage thing sounds good though. [sigh] I'm a bit bored of figthing with swords.
Also why did they have to make it so bloody hard? I enjoyed playing it as it was without any worries or frustration. Ok, ceased complaining. [thread closed]
Post Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:58 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by lilithn
Also why did they have to make it so bloody hard?

PB made the mistake to listen too much to their German hardcore community, who begged for a much higher difficulty level.
They forgot that the largest part of the people playing the game aren't hardcore gamers.
Post Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:57 am
lilithn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

pft. Well. Then I'm not a hc gamer. I like challenge but not when it's so bloody hard that I cannot enjoy the game itself and see the loading screen more then the actual gameplay. I liked Gothic 2 also because it was damn relaxing even if I died a couple of times. I have no problem with NotR since I'm not trying to be a mage. I will try that after I finished it off with something else. Ranger for this time probably. I love this game. Can't wait for Gothic 3.
Post Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:19 pm