RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

No doubt about it!!
Post Thu Feb 07, 2002 5:50 am

wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

No doubt about that!

I'd take it one step further and call it the best RPG, if not the best computer game, EVER MADE.
Post Thu Feb 07, 2002 6:02 pm
Kwitzak
Village Leader
Village Leader

I am in to that..

Post Thu Feb 07, 2002 6:18 pm
Divine
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I am a true fan of Gothic, but to be honest, I think that it has great chance to be the best, but it also has a long way to go.

1. Stability cant be discounted.
2. Monsters are a bit boring.
3. Dialogues are to straightforward.
4. Behavior of characters is the same every time.

But still, for the whole 2001 and 2000 this was the best game. You know what was the game that I rated next? Betrayal at Krondor. I compelted BAK last year and I rate both of them A+. Remeber - BAK is a VGA game released when there was no Pentium or 3D. The gameplay was what made it rock.
Gothic is similar in many ways but it was written in the next millenium and had a lot more chances to rock.
Post Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:38 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:

On 2002-02-08 09:38, Divine wrote:
I am a true fan of Gothic, but to be honest, I think that it has great chance to be the best, but it also has a long way to go.

1. Stability cant be discounted.
2. Monsters are a bit boring.
3. Dialogues are to straightforward.
4. Behavior of characters is the same every time.

But still, for the whole 2001 and 2000 this was the best game. You know what was the game that I rated next? Betrayal at Krondor. I compelted BAK last year and I rate both of them A+. Remeber - BAK is a VGA game released when there was no Pentium or 3D. The gameplay was what made it rock.
Gothic is similar in many ways but it was written in the next millenium and had a lot more chances to rock.

1.I had no problems with stability (German version)
2.+3. Your opinion. I disagree.
4. Still better than in every other RPG before.

BAK rocks! Good interface compared to itīs competitors, excellent story by R.Feist and one of the best combat systems ever.
I got it running on my machine two months ago. It looks plain ugly nowadays but the positive feelings came back immediately. :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: Gorath on 2002-02-08 11:57 ]
Post Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:55 pm
Divine
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Regarding stability, I have something to complain about. On my pretty stable machine it crashed quite a few times. Most cases could not be reproduced but one: the Orc Cemetary. If I enter and go to the first dead Templar body and start walking around it will crash 90% of the time. So I had to come only as close as to be able to pick up his stuff and what is important, not to turn left or right. If I turn the game crashes.

On the positive side, I should note that I never had any problems with the winches and still have no idea what it looks like.

BTW, there is a small glitch with the languages: when I beat up Kirgo, he stayed in the Arena. Later I came by and activated a dialog and he responded in German
Post Fri Feb 08, 2002 6:43 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

quote:

On 2002-02-08 12:43, Divine wrote:
BTW, there is a small glitch with the languages: when I beat up Kirgo, he stayed in the Arena. Later I came by and activated a dialog and he responded in German

That happend to me in the demo.
Post Fri Feb 08, 2002 7:06 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Since I fixed my processor/board problem, I only had Gothic crashing around me when I went into Marvin mode, possessed people and had them strip. I could do it once, sometimes even twice, but when I slipped into the third NPC and opened his inventory, the game ALWAYS crashed.

Apart from that, some of my favorite games of all times tended to crash alot, or they were at least very buggy... CyberMage, for example, nearly drove me crazy because it always crashed when one touched the ground in certain places. For example, there was aquest where you had to enter the city park to meet an informant. Each time I walked into the park via the left entrance, I was kicked back to the desktop. I was sooo happy when I finally found the left entrance... one could circumvent this problem later in the game with the jet pack one acquired somewhere along the way, but this bug still made my hair stand on end.
Or Daggerfall: you fell trough the floor, scripted events didn't happen... that game wasn't playable unless you enabled cheats so you could teleport back to the spot where you had been before you fell into the electronic limbus.

Gothic was my favorite game of 2001 as well, and not only on the RPG sector, bugs or not.

[ This Message was edited by: Jaz on 2002-02-08 16:40 ]
Post Fri Feb 08, 2002 10:40 pm

I had a Pentium computer when Betrayal at Krondor came out.
Post Sat Feb 09, 2002 1:16 am

RingWrath
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

best rpg of 2001 for sure,
best game?
i dunno, im just trying to think of all the games that came out in 2001... hmm... maybe.. i havn't played any other game for that many hours... maybe...
Post Sat Feb 09, 2002 1:25 am