Members
Usergroups
Atronach How do you increase Magicka
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Valdorn

Atronach How do you increase Magicka

I started my first character (mostly Fighter type with some magic skill) and choose the Atronach as Birth Sign.

The Good: The increased magicka and spell absorbtion seems great.

The Bad: Trying to find ways to increase magicka is difficult.

I have not played much yet (just made lvl3, still in first town). I have increased my combat skills nicely but cannot increase magic ones due to the inability to increase magic (If you can't cast spells, you don't get any skill increase). I have found a temple that for 35 gold will replenish my magic (I did this once and can't afford any more).

So, how did you increase your magika? Are there potions around that can be purchased at reasonable prices (I will check next town)? Perhaps I should have taken Alchemy.

This seems like such a great birthsign...but perhaps difficult in the beginning due to lake of funds. Perhaps I will keep this character, concentrate on the combat skills for now, and hope later I can work in magic skills.

Anyone have any insite / ideas?

Thanks!
Post Mon May 06, 2002 12:51 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Resting doesnt work?
Post Mon May 06, 2002 12:55 pm
Breakapart
Village Leader
Village Leader

Doesn't that choice have the pro/con of: You can absorb spells cast at you, but you can't regen magic by resting? I haven't tried that choice myself yet, but i would try either magic restore potions, and/or find a magic user and let em cast on you. lol...
Post Mon May 06, 2002 1:35 pm

I think Astronach is a little over-powered. Free spell absorption was good enough without pumping our magicka up quite that high. Want to recharge? Hit one of those shrines you mentioned. Trick is, join the Temple (you don't have to do anything just say you want in) and your donation is only 5. Also, get free points by fighting spellcasting mobs. And of course there are potions of regain magicka.

Resting does not work, it's true. In the very beginning it's a problem getting recharged, but once you've gotten a few lvls you're a powerful force. Low on Magicka? Cast Mark, cast ALSMIV(sp) Intervention, hit the shrine, cast recall. Cost a few points, but with 3X magicka you've got plenty.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 2:47 pm

How are you level 3 and still in the first town? I've been to like 3 towns and killed countless creatures, completed some quests, etc. and still only level 1 and 1/10 into it. What do you actually have to do to advance?
Post Mon May 06, 2002 3:31 pm

Xiron Darkheart
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm playing a Dunmer Spellsword under the sign of the Atronach. He's my first character, created last Thursday night. I have travelled quite alot and slayed countless critters. Well , just last night , I hit level 2, Whoohoo.
Recharging was tough at first, but my first fight with a caster recharged me too full. I never thought that I'd call Ancestor Ghosts beneficial!

Too actually level up , you must get 10 skill increases in your primary and secondary abilities, in any combination. Your misc. skills go up , but never count towards your level. After you get the message that you leveled, YOU MUST REST! to get your stat increases.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 3:54 pm
Breakapart
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
What do you actually have to do to advance?

Imagine your a REAL spell caster, what would you NEED to do to get "better" = lvl? Practice your spells... Resting is also a good idea every so often.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 3:54 pm
Valdorn

Level Increasing

Thanks folks for the tip on joining a temple, I will look for one in the next town.

Concerning leveling, the above poster is correct. Work on your skills until you get 10 increases in your primary or secondary skills. As a warrior type, I seem to go up quickly in block, heavy armor, athletics, longblade and axe. I also like to search around alot before moving on (just my style)

Have Fun All!
Post Mon May 06, 2002 6:08 pm