Members
Usergroups
Some basic presentation issues I hope are fixed
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Jessy

Some basic presentation issues I hope are fixed

The game has some basic presentation issues that detract from playing for the first time, and I hope they'll be patched:

1. No head bob in first person view. If anyone else agrees that rollerblading around reduces immersion, please e-mail Bethsoft about it like I have.

2. Jumping animation is appalling. And that god awful room shaking 'thud' when you jump has got to go.

3. NPC animation during combat just doesn't look realistic at all - particularly the death flip. Combat sounds suck, bad.

3. Fancy pixel water effects just look too shiny - water surface looks like mercury, esp. when you hop in (not to mention the water levels never rise/fall at boundaries), and the water moves too fast - incongruous with the static surrounds.

4. Journal has no completed/current quest separator.

5. Text font is too small.

6. Time passes too quickly - anyone know how to fix this with the editor, or the location of a mod that does this?

I agree these aren't as significant as the gameplay/balance issues, but sheesh, i had expected a little more from a game released now and with that much hype about its technology.... What do you guys think?
Post Tue May 21, 2002 7:46 am

entrails
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

1.No head bob is great i hate it.Makes me feel sick:(
2.Nah animation is fine and at least with the thud u know what u are doing.
3.Nah combat stuff is fine.You must be playing a diffrent game to me.
4.The water looks fine and realistic.It seems to move fine as well looks real.
5.I agree with this the journal is a mess with quests all over the place .
6.text font is fine in 1024x768
7.Time passes just right just be glad every quest isnt time related like daggerfall.

If my numbering seems wrong you had 2 number 3...
Post Tue May 21, 2002 9:08 am
IncendiaryLemon

The jump animation is crap - really appalling. Animations are mixed in general but watching a pair of ordinators take on a golden saint i said "shite" out loud as it looked pretty dam good.

You can bump up the font size

The water seems to be ten years more advanced than the rest of the graphics.
Post Wed May 22, 2002 3:51 pm

You asked what I think so... I think you're whining.

You can't seem to see the forest because of the trees.

This isn't meant as a bash, I just believe it to be true.

1. Head bobbing? I didn't install a first person shooter, which coincidently, often has a radio button to disable the annoying feature.

2. The jump animation is very generic. As you increase in Acrobatics you can REALLY leap high so instead of making 20 different animations per humanoid type, they chose one. Does it detract much? Not really.

3. Fighting animations aren't bad. I don't see the problem. Again, this is not a first person shooter.

3. (again) Initially the water looked a bit mercurial to me too but as I became accustomed to it, I've REALLY started to like it. The different hues produced during daylight cycles also help change this somewhat. You've asked for animated sea levels. Fair enough. Perhaps that wasn't in the design specs and thus is not possible with the engine.

4. This is the only one I really agree with. Technically, this should have been a snap to do. Maybe they had reasons for not including fancy crap with the journal to help the game feel more archaic. It certainly DOES feel archaic doesn't it? Immersion... OH YEAH...

5. Font sizes? Haven't had a problem at 1024x768.

6. Bethesda has defined the day/night cycle times. Perhaps you know better than they how long a game day should last? I certainly know I don't.

TES was never really about gameplay balance issues. It was about finding ways to make your game life easier through whatever means necessary. Need a weapon? Steal it and run like hell! THAT'S what made the game fun. In Daggerfall, you immediately found a Magic Silver Sword that really dished out the damage and was worth ludicrous amounts of gold. From here, you could decide to A. sell it for other bonuses or B. keep it and cherish it. Was this "balance"? NOT AT ALL! It was unthinkable in terms of game balance, but if it was so terrible, why do I fondly remember it today? Think "Robe of Saint Roris" (See spoiler section).

You really should focus on what's great about this game, that they decided to continue the series AND that they were able to justify the expense to investors!

This is a GREAT game and is a good followup to Daggerfall. My expectations for TES 4 are very high indeed.

Regards,
Sindau the Lambastard
Post Wed May 22, 2002 7:38 pm

Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Some of you folks need to hold developers up to a higher standrad. Just because this game is an RPG doesn't mean that can't or shouldn't have features that are common to FPSs. After all, they are both types of games. They may have different focuses, but just because MW "is not a FPS" doesn't mean it doesn't need better animations. Being an RPG is not an excuse for everything.

To answer the questions:

1) I like head-bob, but I really don't notice that it isn't present in MW, so I don't care.

2) The jumping is god-awful. As far as the thud goes, the sound sucks but if you turn down your bass, it won't shake the room so much.

3) NPC animations don't look very fuild whether in combat or at any other time. They copuld use an improvement all around.

4) I like the water.

5) Journel is not as useful as reviews and such would lead you to believe. It is still too basic and lacks a more useful and sophisticated interface.

6) You can fix the size of the text in your .ini file.

7) I agree.
Post Wed May 22, 2002 8:09 pm
bman

thoughts

I agree with the journal, but as far as the others I do not.

It sounds like you are saying because these features are not "incredible" they automatically suck. That is unfair. If I get a 95 on my exam it sucks because I did not get 100.
Post Wed May 22, 2002 10:38 pm

PS - go into the editor, load up the master morrowind file and and check out the variables in game settings (located right in the top menu bar). There are a couple settings for length of days including real time vs game time and length of sunlight per day. Make some changes and save your mod. I've doubled the length of one day in morrowind by changing the value from 9 to 20.
Post Wed May 22, 2002 11:10 pm

SirVincealot
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Thou art full o' surprises!

Aye, the "journal" feature doth need some work, as it doth lack usefulness.

Perchance thou thinkest MORROWIND should conform with thy confounding expectations in all points and therefore not reflect the designer's own vision but rather thine! Mayhaps thou dost think Bethesda should remake the game for thee?

I have no such wish, Bethesda being a fine purveyor of gaming art. Such be the quality of art that no two people will like it in equal measure.

But thou is afforded the right to order a custom-made version of this great game, thereto contain all the fixes thou dost require to enjoy the Isle of Vvardenfell.

May thou dost find peace,
SirVincealot
Post Thu May 23, 2002 1:03 am