Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Is there a technical problems forum for Morrowind?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Is there a technical problems forum for Morrowind?

I've tried the Bethesda site, but there seems to be a problem with their technical forum - I can't select anything, so I can't even read their FAQ page.

Morrowind and Morrowind/Tribunal both crash my system to reboot, every time the game starts. I have a geforce 4Ti4200, running win XP.

System Specs are:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Build 2600
System Manufacturer VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model VT8363
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1200 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG, 05/07/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.0
User Name GAMER\Laura
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 511.48 MB
Available Physical Memory 423.10 MB
Total Virtual Memory 1.72 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.55 GB
Page File Space 1.22 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Can anyone help me?
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 7:17 pm
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

The Bethesda tech forum is up now -- keep trying! (I'm assuming you tried the Hardware and Software Issues forum, which is the one you want.) If you haven't, you should also e-mail their tech support -- you never know, you might actually get a helpful response! Stranger things have happened.

Beyond that, I have no practical help to offer -- good luck though!
Post Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:56 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Ok, your setup is very similar to mine.

Try the following: Install GTU (GeForce Tweak Utility). Start it and force AGP to 1x. Restart.

The Athlon, the chipset and a fast graphics card are the biggest mess one can get in.

Let me know if that helped.
Post Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:42 am
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Thanks for the response. Does the Tweak Utility come with the software for the Vidoe card? Can I install it from the disk, in other words, and if so how do I do this? (I'm a total dud when it comes to this stuff).
Post Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:23 am
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Also, I can't use the Bethesda forum as the page goes down too far to actually post antyhign.
Post Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:37 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Try here http://www.forumplanet.com/rpgplanet/morrowind/forum.asp?fid=4870

There was also several threads discussed about the crashes & CTD in this general forum, just check the previous posts/pages.
Post Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:32 am
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Thanks for that link. It's nice to know I'm not alone. However, I am very disturbed by the fact that Bethesda is apparently doing nothing about this. How can this happen?

I can't even use their tech forum for some reason so I can't contact them directly. But this sure is a pain in the derriere. I would not have upgraded my system if I knew the net result would be that I could play Thief and Deus ex but not any of my 2002 games.
Post Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:03 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

If you are still thiking about trying Rends advice, you can download GPU at Guru3D - www.guru3d.com in download section.
Post Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:19 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Hagatha
Morrowind and Morrowind/Tribunal both crash my system to reboot, every time the game starts. I have a geforce 4Ti4200,....

Hmm, seem like immediate conflict occurred. First, clean install (uninstall first old one) your newest video driver from Nvidia website, update your sound card driver, then install newest VIA 4in1 driver. Won't guarantee these will work. Adjust window/full screen modes inside options on first start up menu, also resolution & pixel shader. IMPORTANT - make sure your DirecX is working properly, or install version 9; Or too many background programs running, especially antivirus; Or simply because the SafeDisk encrytion (game start with checking CD but error so your game immediately crash).

quote:
Thanks for that link. It's nice to know I'm not alone. However, I am very disturbed by the fact that Bethesda is apparently doing nothing about this. How can this happen?...

Their forums are up now. http://www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tech&Number=607473&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=

The problems are not particularly because of Amd + VIA, or SBLive + WinXp. It happened on Celeron or Pentium CPU too. Your problem is not regular CTD, but crash before enter the game.

Edit/Add: Forgot about the "reboot" part. If running game cause OS rebooting, that's serious sign & it does show more fundamental problem. It could be DirecX related.
Post Sat Jan 04, 2003 5:45 pm
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Thanks for all the advice. I'll probably try the Tweak as noted above. My XP, new video card and newest sound, video drivers were all just installed; clean install on all of them (had a major system crash while playing Arx Fatalis and so revamped my computer from Win 98 to XP). I am running Direct X9.

I'm running the game on the same resolution my computer is set on - 1024 x768.

I know that Arx Fatalis does not like the newer Nvidia drivers, so I've given up on that game ( a real shame - I loved it) , but I'm not prepared to give up on Morrowind, Dungeon Siege, NOLF2, and the rest! None of these games will play on this machine now (most of them crash or freeze constantly or immediately at the start of the game). Only older games like BG2, Thief2 and Deus Ex still play. SOme upgrade, huh?
Post Sun Jan 05, 2003 7:45 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
.... I'm not prepared to give up on Morrowind, Dungeon Siege, NOLF2, and the rest! None of these games will play on this machine now (most of them crash or freeze constantly or immediately at the start of the game). Only older games like BG2, Thief2 and Deus Ex still play. SOme upgrade, huh?

You meant you already did clean install (winXp) and most new games still not working?. Hopefully not, if yes, the problem is serious - hardware problems - prepare to bring your system back to computer shop...
Post Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:31 am
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I'm already pretty certain that whatever the problem is, it's way beyond my capability to fix it. But I am going to try just reinstalling the old NVidia drivers first, just to se if is that simple. I know that there are some problems with those.

Bummer.
Post Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:00 am
TribalMan
Conflict Within
Conflict Within

quote:

I know that Arx Fatalis does not like the newer Nvidia drivers, so I've given up on that game ( a real shame - I loved it) , but I'm not prepared to give up on Morrowind, Dungeon Siege, NOLF2, and the rest! None of these games will play on this machine now (most of them crash or freeze constantly or immediately at the start of the game). Only older games like BG2, Thief2 and Deus Ex still play. SOme upgrade, huh?

I use DX9 and have a GF4 and nvidia driver v41.09 (The current WHQL candidate) and I have played all of those games with the current drivers except D Siege. Arx and MW with the newest update and the Tribunal expansion were stable and ran great. NOLF2 ran good as well even though I quit playing it rather fast; just not my style.

I know how bad it sucks to have reinstalled all that sw and have all the problems Hopefully you get it figured out.
Post Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:53 am
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I don't really even know where to start. THis is just too much for me. I'm actually thinking about just getting another computer - there is no way I can deal with this! I don't know the first thing about computer problems.
Post Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:35 am