Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
How is Critical Hit % calculated from Training Skill?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

If my one-hand melee skill is 30% trained; does that mean I have a 30% chance to strike a crictical hit? THX. I could not find this 'simple' answer useing the search function. I assume someone took a statistic for this.
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:30 pm
Der_Schnitter_t
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

It is as you suspect, skill percentage = critical hit percentage.
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:02 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Thank you.
Post Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:32 pm
mythicdude
City Guard
City Guard

i think that ever sword do the same ammount of damage, but when u get acriticaly hit it does the amount of damege that is posted on any weapon(if the weapon do 50 dmg, the 50 dmg will make when u made acritical hit)

it's just me or this is wrong?
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:51 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

@mythicdude
No, the damage is different in G2 than was in G1; even armor seems to act different maybe. This is what I observe.

I am using untrained 0ne-handed heavy branch STR is 10 and branch weapon does 10 damage. Tested on a goblin in the start of game.

If you look in the marvin mode (edit abilities screen) you still have a base 5% chance for a critical strike inherent. It seems I got one about every 20 swings with 0% trained.

A weapon does normal damage listed as stated PLUS strength MINUS the target armor.

For golbin, his armor is 10 and health is 40 hitpoints. I hit him once with the branch and my damage to goblin is (weapon 10 + STR 10)-(goblin's 10 armor) = 10 heath point damage to goblin.

So without no critical hits, it takes four hits with a branch weapon (10 damage) at strength 10.

A critical hit according to manual adds in your STR as a bonus to damage and that is what it seems to do.

Criticial hit on goblin (weapon 10 + STR 10) -(armor 10) PLUS bonus damage (STR 10) = 20 hit points damage to goblin.

Now I am using alot of '10's here so I want to re-test with a different weapon.

It almost seems you must penetrate the armor rating first before any damage is applied normally (the damage is absorbed by target armor then rest is applied to hitpoints).

A critical hit adds in a bonus STR to damage done. It almost seems and confirmed by that marvin mode abilities screen you will always get a 5% chance to damage target INGORE armor completly.

I have been in God Mode and wacked away at the first bandit wearing medium bandit armor with a rating of 35 to weapons, yet I was able to kill him. It should have been impossible to penetrate his armor even with a critical strike 35 armor > 30 maximum damage. Maybe that inherent 5% to ignore armor is at work here. Then the damage is full 20 normal hit 5% of the time, 30 if critical. Maybe that is how I can kill him after about 20 hits on bandit...a couple of ignore armor hits plus a lucky inherent critical... Needs more testing.

Yes, I find more fun playing with the game mechanics than actually playing the game; I am an engineer after all, I like to take things apart and figure out how they work.

maybe different NPCs get a hidden bonus or penalty to armor. I need further testing.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:11 am