Mage Questions?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
Stratovarius
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Mage Questions?

I'm running around at level 22-23, and am stuck on the Ulu Mulu quest. I can't even ding the troll in the mountains. Full Storm of Fire, Full Ball Lightning, Wave of Ice, Bow, Weapon, none of these even hurt him. I also can't seem to find a shrink monster scroll. This is after I've beaten the game as a warrior, and the mage feels seriously underpowered. I never had any trouble as a fighter, but as a mage, I've been running off of the "Charge spells take 0 mana if you just click" bug, and still been having a lot of trouble. At this point in the game as a warrior, I had "Warrior's Voice" and the best bow cavalorn offers (I mug him every chapter ) and was crushing everything. As a 5th Circle Mage, I'm being crushed, and I don't want to have to cheat to get past. Any help from more experienced mage fighters?

Circle: 5th
Spells: As far as I know, I have all main 4th and 5th level combat spells, as well as all those below it, barring Rain of Fire, which I don't have yet.
Mana: 48.
Armor: High Water Mage
Rings: 10/10 weapons/arrows, 3/1 fire/magic
Amu: 15/15 Weapons/Arrows (maybe fire/magic as well, I don't know)
Bow: Longbow
Weapon: God Hammer
Life: ~344

Thanks,

Strat
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:40 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Compare your spell and melee damage to the trollīs attributes. Maybe you find his weak spot.

http://gothic.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10062&infoID=58&pageID=238
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 8:54 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

Re: Mage Questions?

quote:
Originally posted by Stratovarius
I also can't seem to find a shrink monster scroll.

You can find one or two at Xardas at that particular time when your on the ulu-mulu quest..

quote:
Originally posted by Stratovarius
..and the mage feels seriously underpowered.

Man, you're wrong.. A mage is the most powerfull ranged warrior, and as one, he never needs to come close to his targets.

Anyway, a full charged storm of fire or ball of lightning should by all means affect the troll..
Post Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:42 am
mldaalder
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hello,

I'm new to this forum but not to the game...
Is this the mission with Diego... Oh wait I remmember, you need Troll skin... Where did I got that... I don't recall, but it might be in a ri. But I was able to defeat any Troll as a Mage 4th circle (I feel very ashamed of this, I love magic!). But I did was a master at One handed weapons, master at bow, and I had level 1 at 2 handed weapons (I I'm currently using a Fist of Wind) and I have acrobatics. My tactic was Charge, fire, run very fast away, charge, fire again, I had no many at this point so I used a blade jugdement sword if I recall correctly, run, strike and keep circling and running around the creature. Apparently this worked, I already have finnished this, when I got the Ulu mulu and reached the Ork town I remmenbered I already killed all Orcks.

Hope this helps.
Post Thu Nov 28, 2002 9:44 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

i think i used a shrink monster scroll but i was a tempalar (BIG mistake) so i was a master of 2 handed weapons

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:02 pm
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I played a mage this time through. The key is to use morph scrolls (especially Bloodfly, though Meatbug is good too) to get up to an otherwise inaccessible spot from with you can use ranged attacks with impunity. I took that troll out with firestorm (no Shrink Monster) from the surrounding cliffs.
Post Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:43 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Er..

Did I just hear somebody saying that "being a Templar was a bad misstake"?

A Templar is the easiest way of completing Gothic, due to Storm of Fire(Circle 4) + 100 STR + Master two handed weapons.

A combination such as this is invinsible due to the fact that magic is A LOT more powerful than any bow the other warrior-classes can get.
Post Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:51 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

yes the tempalars guild is a big mistake, anyways if u join the old camp, get banished and join the new camp after kissing saturas' ass u can learn 2 handed weapons AND up 2 the 5th circle, it may take longer but it's worth it

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:19 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

I must say I agree with Maylander.. Becoming a templar is not a mistake, nor is joining any of the camps.. How can you even judge what's a mistake ?
Every guild has it's own (dis)advantages, and being a templar has the least disadvantages(is my humble oppinion). I mean, a great worrior with circle 4..
Name one handy spell from level5! There isn't any; it's just a stile for level6(uriziel). Every ql spell is of 4th level. The only thing is, that people who like ranged weapons should pick another guild..
Post Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:31 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Level 5 is just a waste of skillpoints. Storm of Fire, Fireball, Ball Lightening, Light and Healing are the only spells you need before getting Breath of Death and Ring of Death.

Also, if you are a Templar, you can train in Chapter 6. No other guilds can do this(neither mana, strength nor circles except 6 with Xardas).

The Swamp Camp is the only one which is not hostile in the end.
Post Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:35 am
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by Maylander
Level 5 is just a waste of skillpoints. Storm of Fire, Fireball, Ball Lightening, Light and Healing are the only spells you need before getting Breath of Death and Ring of Death.

Exactly..Although I wouldn't even train the 5th level...

quote:
Originally posted by Maylander
Also, if you are a Templar, you can train in Chapter 6. No other guilds can do this(neither mana, strength nor circles except 6 with Xardas).

What do you mean? I don't remember having problems while I was in the new camp..
Post Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:32 am