Story/plot quality of GII
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
jo_nik
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Story/plot quality of GII

Well since we all have to weather out this interminate wait somehow...
I was wondering if the people that have already finished GII, (some I understand more than once ) Could say a few (NON SPOILER) words about the quality of the story/plot of GII.

I know that most of the reviews GI got storywise was "Solid but not stellar" or "Unoriginal but adequate" but speaking for myself, I would have to say that I enjoyed GI's story immensely.True most of the elements we have seen before (Fantasy kingdom besieged by orcs, Demons and Necromancers) but it was in the way the story was told and the plot unfolded (coupled by some of the most believable interesting and entertaining Npcs to date. Which ofcourse are part of the story themselves) that gave the game its unique taste and contributed to its atmosphere (that "Gothic" feel) as much as the surroundings interface and sound.

So, to the people that by now have a crystalised opinion. How would you directly compare these elements (Story, plot, characters, dialogue) between GII and GI.

P.S I know that many of you have already posted your impressions of the game in another thread. But general comments (like Jaz's that GII is the better Game but that she got The same amount of enjoyment of both) prompted me to ask speciffically about the story.

P.S 2 Sorry about the long winded post
Post Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:09 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: Story/plot quality of GII

quote:
Originally posted by jo_nik
So, to the people that by now have a crystalised opinion. How would you directly compare these elements (Story, plot, characters, dialogue) between GII and GI.

My dictionary was not helpful to distinguish between 'story' and 'plot', so IŽll pretend the words have the same meaning.
IMO dialogue is on the same level, the other points are slightly better in Gothic. The only average story in G2 is a small disappointment, the weaker setting was to be expected. The idea with the 3 competeing factions inside the barrier was simply brilliant.
G2 lacks an outstanding character like Mud. The other more important NPCs have roughly as much depth as their equivalents in the first game.

It seems youŽve found the few points in which Gothic tops G2. Gothic II is without a doubt the better game.
Post Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:47 am
jo_nik
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

"My dictionary was not helpful to distinguish between 'story' and 'plot', so IŽll pretend the words have the same meaning."

Ok you maybe right about the distinction between the two words beeing somewhat nonexistant. But when I say story (in my mind at least) I think among the lines of central concept and setting (I totally agree about how brilliant an idea was the three dif. functions competing in the secluded envir. of the barrier).

Plot on the other hand is the way the story unfolds, the twists and turns and storytelling ploys used to progress that central concept (of those I particularly enjoyed the collapsing of the mine in G1 and the events it set in motion for example). These ofcourse are, once again are, "vaguely" described as story .

Anyway thanks for your input Gorath. I was afraid the answer would be along those lines. Oh well lets hope G3 improves upon those issues (and the man hasnt played G2 yet )
Post Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:14 am