Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Thief: Deadly Shadows (PC/Xbox) - Going to RC1 Soon...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Thief: Deadly Shadows (PC/Xbox) - Going to RC1 Soon...

A reliable source tells us that Release Candidate 1 should be finalised today or tomorrow for Ion Storm's 'Thief: Deadly Shadows' (a "Release Candidate" is usually a "finished" version presented to the publisher for approval to go gold).
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:55 am
Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

If Thief is as good as it sounds, this'll be a good year for stealth games. First Spliner Cell, then Far Cry and now Thief! I just can't wait
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:02 pm

First came Thief, then every other game which had 'stealth', none of which were as good
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:14 pm

Hi there, does that mean that Thief: DS will be out in 2 weeks after it goes GOLD
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:27 pm

Dhruin

It usually takes a few release candidates to sort out the last bugs and so on before the publisher approves it, so it could still be a little while before it goes gold - but it's getting close. After the gold announcement, different publishers vary on the time they take before the retail release.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:51 pm

Hmm i see, i dont want to w8 any longer, Thief fans have waited for 4 years now. Its okey if its released in May
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:00 pm

Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Expect about a month, maybe around late May/early June. Just can't wait to sneak around medieval style again! Gotta start getting used to not having night vision goggles and sniper rifles.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:41 pm

Haha yes, well even it is released in May, still the fans in Europe like me have to w8 another 1/or 2 months. But luckely i have pre-ordered from Gamestop, so i will get the game when its released like in the US
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:31 pm

Morporkian/Too Loud

Nyaarrrrghhhh!

It's coming! Oh God, yes yes!! First the huge amount of gameplay videos and screenshots that have been coming out this week... AND NOW THIS! I fricking love it!

3,5 years of waiting doesn't seem to be for nothing... Beware City, we taffers are coming...!
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:20 pm

Barghest
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Don't come crying to me if it is as bad as DX:IW...
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:11 pm
Morporkian\TooLoud

Yeah. Whatever. Invisible War was made by a different team and even if
it's mistakes were repeated, wich seems not to be so, I'd buy this game just for it's music and story. Hell, both Brosiuses are working with the devs so it really can't be as shitty as Invisible War.

Have faith.
Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:01 pm

Things do not bode well for title. Specter's new insistence on choice being tyrannical and not wanting to create games for "MIT grads" certainly casts a dark shadow on this title. Though I doubt this game will exhibit all of the sophmoric design decisions such as ammo (err..arrow?) unification implemented in DXIW, new foibles have been made (such as designing the game around third person play and making Garret less noisy thereby passively reducing difficulty and the need for patience). My chief fear is that this title will be little more than a Tenchu clone rather that a Thief title in its own right. Frankly, if the word after release is that this game does not deliver a gaming experience akin to that found in previous Thief games, Ion Storm wont be seeing my money. With any luck, they will release a demo to allay or, most likely, confirm fears.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:38 am

Yeah whats up with this demo, why dont they release one
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:36 am

Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I doubt they will release a demo this time after the disastrous DXIW demo.

quote:
Things do not bode well for title. Specter's new insistence on choice being tyrannical and not wanting to create games for "MIT grads" certainly casts a dark shadow on this title.

Not everybody is "MIT grad" quality and after reading the previews, I'm quite sure the difficulty has been toned down. Honestly, I'm not all that worried about that. After playing almost every stealth game that came out in the past few years (Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Far Cry, MGS...yada yada), it would be nice to be able to sneak around at a more relaxed pace without having too much trial and error gameplay. But like you said, whether they can deliver a 'Thief-like' experience, we'll have to wait for the final product. Whatever the outcome, I'll definately get the game when it's available in my local store.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:24 am
Morporkian/Too Loud

(Yes. I know I wrote my nick different again)

[quote="Wolfgarou"]I doubt they will release a demo this time after the disastrous DXIW demo.

It would be more disastrous to NOT release a demo. And it's entirely up to Eidos and they haven't yet screwed up with marketing, so I doubt they would screw up now. To not release a demo, would be very bad marketing. By marketing, I mean all the ads and huge amounts of preview material: They have successfully made people aware of Thief:DS. They don't want to dissappoint those people now.

I know they have given a little more violent image of Thief than we're used to , but it's just an advertisement thingy to get more action fans hooked into the game. Lame? Yes. Stupid? No, because they have succeeded in marketing the game, like I already said.

(Sorry for lame english. It's not my native language.)
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:49 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next