Morrowind Patch.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Pugnate
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Morrowind Patch.

Any word on the Morrowind patch yet? I uninstalled Morrowind about a week ago, because of the framerate stutters. I really like the game, but I think I'd like to wait for a patch. Oh, and I have quite a good system and have done every possible tweak.. still having some probs.

So, is there any info on a patch?

Noman
Editor at Alloutgames.com

P.S. please check out our review of Morrowind:

http://www.alloutgames.com/Reviews/morrowind.html
And the game still stutters.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 7:07 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I could say how much my game doesn't stutter until the game memory leak kicks in after a few hours with my GF2 32 meg MX on a p3 1000 with 256 megs of RAM... but I'm sure you've heard it all.

No word on a patch except that it's in the works. I'm hoping for... um... nothing really. Damn. That's the first time in a decade since games got so complex that patches became the rule instead of the exception I haven't had a wish list for a patch

Oh yeah... prettier face models. I know you're an ex-prisoner, but damn you're ugly...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue May 21, 2002 7:47 pm
Donkey

NEED INFO!

HEY, everythingxen, i have exactly the same machine as you, could you tell me how the game run?, how many frames??????? what about the graphic options? thanks alot
Post Tue May 21, 2002 7:53 pm

EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I don't use the FPS counter... ironically when I had it turned on it caused a lot of FPS loss. God knows why. I'd have to eyeball it at about 30 or so in towns with occassional hiccups to less than 10 for a second if there's a LOT of people. There's a memory leak in the game itself... after a few hours it gets to the point where there's lag swinging my sword. Then it's time to reboot.

I have distance at 1/2, shadows off, sound low (no real difference), and AI to about 1/4 so they jump around in the distance while doing their pacing. This is mostly for the towns sakes. I run it at 1024x760 because it runs better than 640x480 and 800x600. Weird. In the wild I can crank everything to maximum without any appreciable difference in video lag.

I just don't because I'm lazy and the settings look fine as is for me.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Tue May 21, 2002 8:04 pm
Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

I might as well share my specs somewhere.

1280x960 every setting high except AI and Shadows. A little gamma correction.

Is morrowind using D3D for nvidia or opengl? I'm not sure. I set the LOD(level of detail) Bias to -3.

Indoors are beautiful, but outdoors near places with water(Vivee Canalworks and LagMora) are an eyestrain. Ghostgate is amazingly smooth running until the lag-storms blow down the foyadas.
Post Wed May 22, 2002 6:10 am
gakkie
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Great game, but the low performance sometimes takes away from it all!

I am running an AMD XP1700+ with GF3Ti200 @ 1280x1024,
shadows full, view distance 75%-80%, ai 50%, vertex shaders on.
(no AA, vsync off)

These are the stats I get:

Max in buildings: 100-170 (!)
Avg in buildings: 40-50
Averige wilderniss: 20-30 (max around 45)
Avg in cities like Balmora: 15-22
Min, in cities like Balmora: 10-12

Reolutions does not make ANY difference. The game looks absolutely stunning in 1600x1200, but I found the letters to small to read, hence the 1280. In this res almost no jaggies and also stunning graphics
Most fps gain (for me) is in reducing the view distance. I've found 75-80% the best trade off between quality and performance. Reducing it more takes away A LOT of the appeal of the game.

A last note: I've found 20 fps 'feel' smooth in this game and be more than adequate. Anything above 25 is great. I like my fps on shooters at around 60, in Morrowind 25 makes a superb gaming experience !

2c
Post Wed May 22, 2002 9:20 am
Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

If you switch to third person, travel outside isnt as unbearable. The reading is the WORST though.

If they can come out with more fonts or CLEARER ones, theyll save themselves from a class action lawsuit.

Blind RPG Players vs. Bethesda.
Post Wed May 22, 2002 9:44 pm
bman

font

You can change this in the morrowind .ini file
Post Thu May 23, 2002 12:31 am

EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

You can, but it severely screws up the Journal... and useless as the Journal is, I still have to consult it religiously to figure out directions to where I'm going and such.

I haven't found a larger font that doesn't screw up the journal...

Post Fri May 24, 2002 1:27 pm