Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Where do YOU buy computers from?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread

Don't know about your countries, but in mine it's much too expensive to buy from a shop. It's much cheaper to buy from "the guys". I mean, there are "guys" that buy massive amounts of components from Hungary (our neighbour country) and sell them here. The trick is that they get the VAT back at the border, but do not declare the goods at the entry in Romania, so the Romanian state does not percieve it's VAT, since it doesn't know of the components. For the customer?It's much cheaper since you do not have to pay any VAT (19%). You get a weekly updated offer, service, damn! you even get warranty. If a component breaks, the "guy" sends it back to Hungary where it is replaced and sent back to you.

Downsides? First of all the state loses a lot of money (who cares, anyway?) and you have to trust the "guy", since you don't get any papers.

Ex: 256DDR cost (at the present date):

Shop - 91$
"Guy" - 76$

Now... which would you choose?

So: Do you think it's worh it buying your components from a shop, paying 20% extra just out of patriotism?

Does this happen in other countries too?
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:34 pm

The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

Where do I buy computers from? Well if I want a pre-made system with as little headache or hassle as possible, I go to http://www.gamepc.com
Now if I want to build a system on my own and get it cheaper(but potentially having more headaches and hassles due to hardware conflicts and things like that), I go to http://www.newegg.com and buy all the components I need there.
Note: These are both U.S. companies.

[ This Message was edited by: The Hulk on 2002-02-27 10:55 ]
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:42 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Well the last computer I bought was from a place called Totally Awesome Computers. Yeah their name is stupid, their advertisements are even more stupid. But I have yet to find a place that can beat their quality and service. I hardly ever have problems with my system. And when I do, I just take it in a say "Fix it please". Then I pick it up the next day. No service charge, no charge for parts. They know how to get repeat customers.
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:51 pm
Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I've built my last couple of computers... You can choose exactly what you want in it and get top of the line componants for everything as well as more bang for your buck... Plus its alot of fun...
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 2:53 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Anon, in the name of gaming and for the sake of you getting the most for your dollar, I say go with the "guy." Nevermind patriotism if it means digging deeper into your wallet to get the same product. I understand in some countries the rate of pay is very very slim and that PCs and parts could be considered luxuries. If the "guy" you deal with is trustworthy, I say stick with him. Patriotism isnt gonna get you a GeForce3 card and its not gonna help you pay your bills...like in most countries, it is only going to make you poorer going through the 'state'

[ This Message was edited by: Shrapnel on 2002-02-27 09:00 ]
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 2:58 pm
vertic
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

i just by the parts and put it togheter myself! its cheaper and you have more controle

Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 5:43 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I'll buy it at my hubby's store (meaning he'll sit in the workshop downstairs and scratch-build it) .

Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 7:19 pm
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I always buy separate components, so I can have full control (well, almost full you know what I mean). Be sure to get good mainboard (like ASUS), it's most important part of your computer.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 9:03 pm
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

I have always built my computers by myself, and always bought parts from same place. And every year i do some changes. 2 computers here, one for son, one for me.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 9:50 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Dell. Gateway lost our computer for a month until their store went under, never trust a cow who ships P4's in a UPS truck.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 9:53 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

I don't think I've bought more than a couple components of any of my computers from the same place. I always shop around for a good price. As for the issue of buying it from the 'guy' or from a store, in the US the only scenario where something like that occurs is with stolen goods. I personally feel sorry for anyone who deals with that sort of thing, theives are generally not going to give you a warranty.

-vaticide

[ This Message was edited by: vaticide on 2002-02-27 16:33 ]
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:32 pm
Nik
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:

On 2002-02-26 16:34, Anonymous wrote:
Don't know about your countries, but in mine it's much too expensive to buy from a shop. It's much cheaper to buy from "the guys". I mean, there are "guys" that buy massive amounts of components from Hungary (our neighbour country) and sell them here. The trick is that they get the VAT back at the border, but do not declare the goods at the entry in Romania, so the Romanian state does not percieve it's VAT, since it doesn't know of the components. For the customer?It's much cheaper since you do not have to pay any VAT (19%). You get a weekly updated offer, service, damn! you even get warranty. If a component breaks, the "guy" sends it back to Hungary where it is replaced and sent back to you.

Downsides? First of all the state loses a lot of money (who cares, anyway?) and you have to trust the "guy", since you don't get any papers.

Ex: 256DDR cost (at the present date):

Shop - 91$
"Guy" - 76$

Now... which would you choose?

So: Do you think it's worh it buying your components from a shop, paying 20% extra just out of patriotism?

Does this happen in other countries too?

Sorry for posting it anonymously, my mistake (or a bug in the forum ).

By your answers i get it thhis does NOT happen in other countries too. It must be just us. Well, at least we don't pay any VAT for our computers!!! Oh, and, yes! I always build my own PC's out of pieces bought from "guys". A! And you even get more attention from then than from firms, because they make money out of people who buy fewer components rather than firms which if youu don't have 1000$ in your pocket you are unimportant.

+ The "guy" will always be able to provide you with more information than the qute chick at the shop who only uses PC's for e-mail and chat.

Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:41 pm
Nik
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Yes, I always go for quality when it comes to motherboards. Asus and MSI are my two options. The cost does not matter in this case.

Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 12:52 am
raspewtin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i prefer to make mine
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 1:03 am
DarkWeaver
A Dark Prince
A Dark Prince

Where do YOU buy computers from?

I buy them from a shop called: Informatique.
I generally buy parts for my computer from the Informatique website.
Post Sat May 01, 2004 12:14 pm