This almoust made me go nuts!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

This almoust made me go nuts!

I was trying to get to Ghostgate... i ran, ran and ran. Then finaly, im near it now! But i ran around for like hours (in RL), mountains, mountains everywhere! I got lost, didn't know how to get out from the darn mountain pass! And all those stupid Cliff Racers... i hate them! But now im back in town... phew. Never got to Ghostgate...
Post Wed May 15, 2002 7:39 pm
OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

I'm with you, brother. I still haven't made it to Ghostgate.

Maybe next week...

=Member of The Nonflamers' Guild=
=Neverwinter Nights Co-Moderator=
Post Wed May 15, 2002 9:31 pm
Super_Ant
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

heh, i almost got lost going to Balmora. I was following the signs, then it looked like the main path had kinda dissappeared, and then it started to rain, then finally, I found a river, and i had a "loading exterior message" and the mini map in the corner said "Balmora"! I went the wrong direction and almost got lost again, but there was a sign thet pointed the way that I came that said "Balmora", so I turned around and rested, then continued in the daylight. After a total of about 30 min of wandering around, I found Balmora.

-Monty Python Live at Aspen

I am The Topic Killer!
Post Wed May 15, 2002 9:36 pm
Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

You guys ever think of using the map that came with the game along with the in-game maps. Ghost gate is one of the easiest places to find.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 9:40 pm
OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

quote:
Originally posted by Hyperion
You guys every think of using the map that came with the game along with the in-game maps. Ghost gate is one of the easiest places to find.

Sure...if you use ingame maps. Personally, I try to immerse myself in the world I'm roleplaying....and who hands out maps to an itinerate wood elf adventurer?

Kaitlin the Darkeyed
Lost but happy elf in the wilds of Morrowind.

Post Wed May 15, 2002 9:42 pm
Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Let's put this way. Any explorer in an unknown land would be a fool not map what he sees. That's why your ingame maps only map what you see. Having a map of the whole island (such as what came with the game) would only make sense if you are a messanger and servant to Uriel Septim.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 10:18 pm
coradin
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

You can actually get a fair number of area guides in game, if you want to look at it from an RP perspective. Check with the booksellers in most towns
Post Wed May 15, 2002 10:22 pm
Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Your map is part of the RP persepctive. That's why NPCs say "Here, let me mark it on you map."
Post Wed May 15, 2002 10:28 pm
simland
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

If it goes against your RP morals, splurg on a map at your nearest book store.(Balmora has anice inventory for beginners) I have yet to find out if that actually marks it on your ingame map. Currently testing that theory.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 10:39 pm
bman

roleplaying

Well, he might be playing a character that does not like to use maps... but it does seem a bit contradictory to then complain about getting lost!
Post Wed May 15, 2002 10:58 pm

OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

Let me explain:

Kaitlin is a dumb warrior....she has a high moral code, low tolerance for evil and swings a mean sword...but a map is beyond her capabilities. I've been playing Kait for 9 years now, and she gets more and more obtuse when it comes to anything that uses pen and ink. Annoying, but there it is.

Perhaps when I start playing Rowan, I'll be able to use the maps...she's always been a bit more on the literate side.

Post Wed May 15, 2002 11:11 pm
CarcusRex

quote:
Originally posted by ohbrandi
Let me explain:

Kaitlin is a dumb warrior....she has a high moral code, low tolerance for evil and swings a mean sword...but a map is beyond her capabilities. I've been playing Kait for 9 years now, and she gets more and more obtuse when it comes to anything that uses pen and ink. Annoying, but there it is.

Perhaps when I start playing Rowan, I'll be able to use the maps...she's always been a bit more on the literate side.

What is it with women and directions??? It's not like there's any math involved...
BTW Kaitlin, please don't use that "mean sword" on me for this little jibe.

On a more serious note, I find the fold out map included with the game to be indispensible. For a real life pilot who's had his head buried in sectional charts many times while engaged pilotage, I find the map reading in Morrowind very similar in function. If you really put your head to it, you could navigate around Vvardenfell without even using the sign posts at all. The map is that good. Well... almost.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 12:27 am

[quote="CarcusRex]
What is it with women and directions??? It's not like there's any math involved...
BTW Kaitlin, please don't use that "mean sword" on me for this little jibe.

On a more serious note, I find the fold out map included with the game to be indispensible. For a real life pilot who's had his head buried in sectional charts many times while engaged pilotage, I find the map reading in Morrowind very similar in function. If you really put your head to it, you could navigate around Vvardenfell without even using the sign posts at all. The map is that good. Well... almost.[/quote]

On topic: I agree. Its one of the best I've seen in awhile, though the in-game map labelling is extremely good (almost too good).

off topic: How many hours, what ratings, and/or profession? (personal: 140hrs ASEL, going into FAR 141 instrument/commercial program)
Post Thu May 16, 2002 1:54 am

Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I know why none of you (the ones that didn't) couldn't find ghostgate, check this out, it's impossible to spot!

(This is obviously a joke..ghostgate is HUGE and easy to see)
Post Thu May 16, 2002 4:36 am