Okay.. newbie wondering what she is doing wrong
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Sivit Santonin Vledeg
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Okay.. newbie wondering what she is doing wrong

Yes, I am a female gaming newbie.. so quit laughing, guys.. but I need your help

I am currently in chapter 4, the hunt for the dragons. I am a paladin in the light paladin armour, currently at 81 strength, 30 dex, I have 60% Master 1 H, 40something% fighter 2 H, and some lousy negligeable points on crossbow and so.

Here are my questions... I appreciate your time and answer!

1. You guys all talk about having 90+ strength before entering chapter 2 or 3. How did you get all that strength, or am I missing something?

2. Stupidest question ever asked: I can't get the crossbow to work. If I equip myself with it, I press ctrl + forward to shoot with it. But my character keeps jumping forward or start running instead of shooting with the bow. I'm really ashamed of asking this, but what am I doing wrong? Do I need more dex or more learning points? I'm only at 28 lp for the crossbow.

3. How strong/cunning do I have to be to kill the Orc Elites? They're far too strong for me (or I am too weak). Also, I can't take more than 2 Orcs at the same time. I have the Orc Slayer of 65 strength.

4. Is there someone who can teach me strength over 80? Brutus just ran off after seeing some meatbugs. I have the alchemy learned, so maybe I can make my own?

That's it, for now... ^___^
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:29 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

1. I've got no idea how they did that, probably running around in the forest killing animals, plus doing all the quests.

2. Either you equipped it wrong or you use the wrong controls. The controls for a crossbow or bow shot is the same as for a forward attack with a melee weapon. If you have to little dex, you shouldn't be able to equip it at all. Are you sure you're holding it in your hands before shooting?

3. The Orc Elites are very, very tough and hard opponents. If you have the right swing technique, you should be able to take out them one by one. Otherwise, you'll just have to upgrade your stats to the points where you can kill them.

4. Torlof teachs strength to 90 for mercs/DHs, but I'm not sure how a paladin could do. You can learn to make your own 5+ strength potions, after learning all healing potions. (Maybe mana also, I'm not sure)

Good Luck!

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:45 pm
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

1: right now i'm still in chapter 1 and got 50 strenght (45 + strenght ring), and got 20 lp left and i kept a thief alive. Knowing he got a key to a 15 strenght amulet. (i'm lvl 11/12 before joining anything)

2: i think you got it right. Equip the crossbow, press 2 (second weapon), he takes it now and hold ctrl and press forward.

3: i can't take on multipe orc yet, but orc warriors are very easy to kill one on one if you wait for the gap in their defence.
2 wargs area problem for me right now.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:11 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

1. When you solve every possible quest before joining a camp, you get a lot of LP. When you use those LP almost solely for strength, you can get to 90 and more.

2. Do you press control first or forward first? Because you have to press control first. You will see the char is bending his knee to take a better bow position. When you press forward then, you will shoot. Off course you 'll need bolts to use a crossbow and not arrows.

3. Your strength is probadly not your problem, it 's the need of more lifepoints. When you can take many hits, it 's just easier to kill everything.

4. The paladin close to Lord Hagen will teach you up to 90 strength. You can take strength potions to make you even stronger, but Kings sorrel is very hard to find. You need to make the choice of what 's the most important : high strength, a lot of life, greater magic ability (mana), or more dexterity.
NFG member
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:18 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

The crossbow thing might be an arrows vs bolts issue. This exact thing happened to me in the original Gothic and it took me forever to figure it out. You must use special arrows with your crossbow. Crossbow arrows are called bolts. If you try to use the bow or crossbow and you are out of arrows then your character will jump forward, just as you describe. Double check your inventory and make sure your arrows are called bolts and not arrows.
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:20 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

1) There are many ways to increase strength:
- You can pray and donate 100 gold at random shrines to get +1 strength. Save the game before each attempt. If you get the +4 health, just reload and try donating 100 gold again. If it says something like, "Innos thanks you and heals you," then you'll need to find a different shrine and return to that one after praying at a different one.(I've gained about 13 strength points from praying and donating 100 gold at shrines. You can gain strength from the same shrine more than once, so long as you've already prayed at another shrine before returning to the same one again.)

- You can do small quests for Thekla in exchange for her soup. Her soup will give you +1 strength. You can get thekla's soup at least twice in the first chapter, and more in future chapters.

- Jewelry/artifacts can give +# strength.

- Eat 25 apples for +1 Strength.

- It's easy to learn how to brew your own +strength potions early in the game. There are at least 6 King's Sorrels you can find in the very first chapter of the game, which you can ultimately use towards a total of +30 strength. If you are saving your King's Sorrels for dexterity potions, then you can simply eat the dragonroots as you find them.(Advice: Choose to use all of your King's Sorrels towards either Dexterity or Strength. It's usually most beneficial to focus on one or the other during the first two or three chapters.)

- If you explore enough, you can find at least one strength potion in Khorinis.

- With a bit of strategy, you can kill every single creature available in chapter 1.

- You can pickpocket for experience.

- You can kill some common NPCs for experience if desired. (Not recommended your first time through the game...)

- All of these things combined with the completion of as many quests as available in chapter 1 will lead to a plentiful supply of level points to increase your strength to 90.

2) Check to make sure you have a sufficient supply of arrows if your attempting to use a bow, and bolts if your attempting to use a crossbow. Make sure you hold down on the Ctrol key while pressing the forward arrow to fire. If this doesn't solve your problem, then your probably experiencing a bug.

3) There are many ways to kill orcs. Timing is perhaps the most valuable skill when fighting them. Orcs are usually consistent with their swings, which makes it relatively easy to time and swing whenever the orc lunges towards you. (I was able to kill my first Orc Warrior with a 1-handed, 35-damage sword, and trained at only 10% by avoiding being hit by using good timing. My strength at the time was only 31.) Orc Elites swing faster and are generally superior to Orc Warriors. I would guess you could kill an Orc Elite with less than double what my stats were when I killed my first Orc Warrior. If your using a bow, crossbow, or magic, then killing an Orc Elite is only a matter of running, attacking, running attacking, etc...

Spoiler:
(Tip: The fire magician near the market-side entrance of the city will improve your stats if you donate certain amounts of gold to him. Using a save and reload method to maximize profits, you can easily gain a significant amount of health which will ultimately improve your odds in combat.)
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Gothic's Loyal Hero, SirDeity
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:05 am
Dra Gon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

My 2 cents:
1. 90+ strength is not hard to achive at the end of chapter 2... there is a HORDE of orcs that besiege the castle in the penal colony ... if you kill them all you'll get A HELL LOT of experience --> learning points. Don't learn the hunting skills, and dexterity, stick with the necesary (forging+animal skinning+picklocking+1h up to 60% + strenght up to 75= 5+5+5+70+75=160 learning points ... that means, at level 16 (in chap 2) you may have 75 str + the strenght amuletg (15 str) ... here you are ...

2. To shot the crossbow: equip it (if you do not have enough dexterity you'll get a message). Be sure to have "BOLTS" on your inventory (not arrows).. Press "2" instead of SPACE in order to "activate it (like drawing your sword)... hold CTRL ... press Forward ... Here you are ...

3. At 81 strenght and 60% 1h you should be able to take 1 orcs elite down with the orc slayer... My favorite "strategy" to fight them at the begining was like that: wait them (they come runing), they raise their sword, than one quick swing (left) than retreat a bit and wait the next raise of the sword, another quick swing and so on ... it will take you a bit to put him down but it works ... after you killed a couple of them, you may try to combine the moves: left+forward than retreat...
Another way, is to strafe (left or right), hit the orc from it's side, retreat and so on ... After a couple of times, you'll find the orc warriors boring ...
I almost forgot... It's also a matter of Hitpoints... You get 300 XP points for an Orc elite ... I think that is not safe (if you're not really good at it) to fight one until you have arround 300 hitpoints ...
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:05 am
Freakie
The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

quote:
Originally posted by SirDeity

- If you explore enough, you can find at least one strength potion in Khorinis.

Where??

Gothic II Credits
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:02 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Find the strength amulet for +15 STR and stand on the ram to shoot orcs and elites so they can't hurt you. Or, blast them with fireballs like I did!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:19 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

yup i remember also that i got one bottle of Strenght somewhere i think it was a Shadowbeast cave
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:24 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Daedalus
yup i remember also that i got one bottle of Strenght somewhere i think it was a Shadowbeast cave

Yeah, but that is in the mine valley (which I guess is technically still Khorinis). There *is* a strength potion in the "new world", but becaue of where it is, it is not possible to in Chapter 1 without great difficulty and possibly messing up the plot...
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:10 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

I'm actually not sure where it was I got the strength potion. I got it while exploring in chapter 1. I'm tempted to say it was in the lower deck of the ship (climb over the side and avoid the patrolling guards.) I'm not sure though. It could have just as easily been in a cave somewhere. It was not in the Valley of Mines, as you can't even get to the Valley of Mines in chapter 1.
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Gothic's Loyal Hero, SirDeity
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:56 pm
Sivit Santonin Vledeg
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

@everyone: thank you very much for your tips and hints, that will certainly become helpful in my next game.

I think I moved too fast with the chapters as I obviously did not explore everything around Khorinis.

Concerning the crossbow thing: yes I have bolts in my inventory, so that wasn't the problem.
It's just when I equip my hero with the crossbow and I press action + forward, he takes for a second a stance, then jumps forward. When I position him against a wall so he can't move forward, then he'll shoot >___<

The same for casting spells : when I active a spell, he won't cast it until I position him against something solid. Everytime I press action + forward (the way a spell is casted, I believe), he jumps.

Maybe that's why I couldn't get the oblivion spell quest fulfilled, either.

I think it's a bug and in my next game I investigate if it happens again.

In the meantime, thank you once again! Great help!
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:14 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by SirDeity
I'm actually not sure where it was I got the strength potion. I got it while exploring in chapter 1. I'm tempted to say it was in the lower deck of the ship (climb over the side and avoid the patrolling guards.)

Well that's where it is. That's the area I was talking about. I didn't know you could do that to avoid the guards.

That's the only ready-made strength potion in the new world. There is another one in the valley of mines in a cave with a ShadowBeast skeleton.

You can also get one in Chapter 4 if you talk Oric in the Castle...
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:40 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Sivit Santonin Vledeg
@everyone: thank you very much for your tips and hints, that will certainly become helpful in my next game.

I think I moved too fast with the chapters as I obviously did not explore everything around Khorinis.

Concerning the crossbow thing: yes I have bolts in my inventory, so that wasn't the problem.
It's just when I equip my hero with the crossbow and I press action + forward, he takes for a second a stance, then jumps forward. When I position him against a wall so he can't move forward, then he'll shoot >___<

The same for casting spells : when I active a spell, he won't cast it until I position him against something solid. Everytime I press action + forward (the way a spell is casted, I believe), he jumps.

Maybe that's why I couldn't get the oblivion spell quest fulfilled, either.

I think it's a bug and in my next game I investigate if it happens again.

In the meantime, thank you once again! Great help!

On the contrary…I am playing my second game (as a Mage) and I now wish I had stuck to the plot a little more the first time around. I spent too much time exploring the country side in the first game. Now, the only thing new is guild specific. The game is so much more challenging now that I am not running around killing everything that moves just to get exp. points. I am enjoying the game a lot more now.

As for using the bow/xbow…look at the KB config and make sure there is no conflict in the key config for the action key. I use the mouse B1 for the action key…

Sylvio
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:20 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next