FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Attributes multiplier at level up
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

Attributes multiplier at level up

Has anyone wonder what determine the attributes multiplier (i.e. 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x) that you get at level up? Here is what I've found out. For every 2 points of skill increase, the multiplier of the corresponding governing attribute increases by one to a max of 5x (i.e. 1x for 2 points, 5x for 10 points, etc.) The multiplier calculation is reset at each level up, so any skill increase beyond 10 is wasted, because it neither affect the multiplier of this level up nor the next level up.

Since you get three attribute points at level up, the way to maximize them is to have 3 5x multipliers. To do this, for each level up, increase 3 skills that have different governing attributes by 10. Preferably, only one of skills should be counted toward the progress of level increase. Here is an example,

Increase Sneak skill (major skill) by 10 = 5x Agility
Increase Acrobatics skill (misc skill) by 10 = 5x Strength
Increate Illusion skill (misc skill) by 10 = 5x Personality
Net increase of total attributes = 15 points
Post Sun May 05, 2002 10:35 pm

Well, did you test this?

Just curious
Post Sun May 05, 2002 11:28 pm

Yep. That's how I found out.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 11:37 pm

Rilian
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It appears it might not be that simple. I am guessing that the multipliers are "bin" sorted. Could you see if this fits your experience:

e.g. If you increase a level and X out of the 10 skill points have Strength as the governing attribute then

X Mult for Str
-----------
1-4 2x
5-7 3x
8-9 4x
10 5x

I am basing this on data variables that I got out of TES.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 11:55 pm

Rilian,

I think you are right. I went back and took more data points. So far, for X=1 to 5, the multiplier exactly matches what you have.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 2:30 am

Rilian
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Good, And I agree with your assesment for the Primary, misc, misc : 5x,5x,5x. That Does seem to be the most efficent. However in practice this would be nearly impossible to do consistantly. But it is the thing to shoot for.

Now that thats out of the way. On to figuring out the scale of skill level increases.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 2:43 am

Just a quick question: Does the same work when using more than one skill that governs a certain attribute? For example, will raising Speechcraft by 3 and Merchantile by 7 give the multiplier of 5?
Post Mon May 06, 2002 4:15 am

Yes. I have tested with raising Illusion by 9 and Speechcraft by 1 and I got 5x for Personality.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 4:57 am

Thanks for the reply. In that case it would be good to have at least one misc skill for each attribute. Previously, I thought of having Merchantile, Speechcraft, and Illusion (the only skills tied to Personality) in my Major/Minor skills. Putting one of them in Misc. will make it much easier to get a multiplier of 5 for Personality without having to put other non-Personality Major/Minor skills on hold.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 7:49 am

Warchild

It seems to change as you lvl, at lvl 7 i did a full lvl in one alchemy session and only had a 4 multiplier to intel.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 10:16 am

Garon

While I haven't thought it through completely, it seems that one caveat to this will be that your skill maximum is the same as your attribute maximum. So if you keep trading 10 for five you will eventually run into an improvement ceiling. It is best, then, to make sure that you divide your increases up into multiple skills that depend on the same attribute.

Yes, this strategy might be doable, but it will also be a lot of painstaking work. I would honestly rather go have my teeth cleaned (or maybe even pulled).

I think I'll just play my character the way I want to without a bunch of non-plot, non-roleplaying practice sessions, and let the chips fall where they may.

If I someday want max stats I'll just cheat. I'm sure someone will have figured out how to do it by then. With the editor, it's probably possible now.

Enjoy your game.

Garon
Post Mon May 06, 2002 2:27 pm