Usergroups
How to tell how a battle is going?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Dreadloch
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I tend to agree that the way feedback is given now is okay, but let's face it. You die ALOT finding out how it works, which means you enter almost every battle with very little knowledge about what you are attempting to do. After awhile, I learned how to consistently kill Ancestoral Ghosts I encounter, for example, but only after having died a lot before. This is where the monster health bars have helped in other RPGs before, since those health bars are like a metaphor for your in-game character taking a look at its foe and making a decision regarding whether or not it can beat it or what it's condition is. In MW, there are no real clues visually to tell you whether or not what you are taking on will destroy you, much less how it fares against you during battle.

Some have said that MW is more like real life in the way it is set up. But, this is where the game IS NOT LIKE real life. You have to DIE to learn the strengths/weaknesses of your opponents, and you are not resurrected like other games can do. Since you cannot be reborn after death within the game's rules, you therefore should have more information a battle's progress, or whether you should even start the battle.

For this reason, I broke down and got the MW Prophesies Strategy Guide for its list of monster stats/strengths/weaknesses (which is only a general list, about 8 pages long, not an exhaustive one). It is the only thing I have used that guide for, and it has been helpful. If anything, the guide has shown me how HUGE this game is. I have avoided reading anything about the quests, but some of the information on alchemy, for example, looks like it could be helpful without giving too much away (I don't read the charts for details on the various flora).

For me, I assume that my character should know what the general weaknesses of what a Scamp are, for example, before I take it on. If I try one thing and it doesn't work, I am dead before I can try something else. Instead of reloading and retrying different things, I use the guide to help me see what spells I can best use against the monster. I still have to fight it, and there is no guarantee I will win, but at least I avoid having to save/reload multiple times to figure things out. Considering the number of spell and weapon types, I don't want to have to try every combination just to kill something. The game is too big, and there are too many things to do in it, to spend several hours trying to get past just one monster (who may be impassable anyway at your level).
Post Wed May 08, 2002 1:11 am
Somnus
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Here we go...

/agree Shifter

Let's all just agree to disagree.
Some prefer life on the edge with no healthbar, others prefer to know their opponent's exact condition. Chances are, if you played Daggerfall, you won't need the bar in Morrowind.
I personally prefer not knowing, I feel that someone could die without a scratch on them, or could be perfectly healthy covered in blood. There's just no way to tell what percentage anyone is at.
Others disagree and seem to have equally valid reasons for *their* preferance, it all comes down to personal taste in the end.

Somnus
Post Wed May 08, 2002 10:49 am

The fact that there is no healthbar or any other way to judge the status of NPC`s is indefencable to me for the simple reason that NPC`s are able to see your health. Walk around at a quater health and you are greeted by things like:"Your wounds are great.", "What happened to you?" and "You should find a healer.". There should be some way to judge your opponents health.
You don`t like health bars, because it looks bad to have a healthbar float over your enemy? It would be simple to display that with the name, example: Mud Crab(10/24). Don`t want to have exact hitpoints? Go with status: Mud Crab(Healthy/Wounded/Badly Injured).
Again, I find it inexcusable that there is no way to see if your opponend is damaged or undamaged. Can anybody name another RPG where there was no feedback on your opponents health?
I`m getting sick of all the defence of no feedback in the name of Realism.
How realistic is it that everybody but you can see health? Don`t make me name all the things in which are unrealistic in combat in Morrowind.
Lastly and most important, does it bother anybody if you see a status with the name of your opponend? I believe it whould greatly enhance the game for many.

Grudge.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 5:55 pm

Dreadloch
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Like I said, it isn't realistic to die all the time, only to save and reload your "life" to retry something because you couldn't determine the health/power of the MOB you encounter. Unless MW had some form of resurrection ability built into it, battles shouldn't be that mysterious. At least a health bar would be justified to give a better balance to this element of the game.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 9:10 pm
Somnus
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Ok...

Come on for f*ck's sake. Now I'm getting pissed.
This thread is dead, you're just coming out with the same shite that has already been said 3 or 4 times previously. You want me to suggest another game that has come out without health bars? Daggerfall, very famous, and very well thought of.

It is simply a matter of preferance, you prefer it one way, others prefer it another. Now take the game back, and shut the f*ck up. Stop moaning you sad little tossers.

Apologies to other readers...

Somnus
Post Wed May 08, 2002 9:24 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Right. Word your opinions. Just no cussing and name calling. Got it? Good.

Post Wed May 08, 2002 9:29 pm
Somnus
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Feel free to censor any of that if need be.

Somnus
Post Wed May 08, 2002 9:44 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Not necessary as of yet .
Post Wed May 08, 2002 9:52 pm
Dreadloch
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

We are just airing opinions. I love MW. I can live without the health bars. The game rocks. Ain't taking it back. Don't assume that if someone shares a complaint, they think the game sucks. This a forum. We're chatting about stuff. Big deal. Don't like it? Don't read it.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 11:34 pm
Noman

Saying it enough number of times make it likely that people at Bethesday would hear about it.

It's a glaringly obvious omission from the game.

The two usual arguments to justify this design choice are, 1) It was the same way in Daggerfall, 2) It's more realistic.

And like a lot of people have said, argument (1) is pointless and argument (2) doesn't fly either since a lot of other things are abstracted by numbers and moreover these are things where we don't get a visual feedback in real life, unlike health status.

It actually comes down to preference then. Some like it and some not. Bethesda should have given us option to enable or disable this feature since it's a major part of gameplay.

And finally, no one is saying that it has to be a health bar. There are several ways to show character damage/status.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 12:20 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3