2004 in Review @ RPG Codex
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

2004 in Review @ RPG Codex

RPG Codex has posted their <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=115" target="_blank">2004 in Review</a> article. As is now almost traditional, it's irreverent and more than a little acerbic. Here's a snip:<blockquote><em>It's worth noting that Bioware has even managed to score a Developer of the Year award somehow, despite the fact that they haven't released anything this year. That just goes to show that you don't have to actually do anything as long as people are convinced that you did. RPG Codex wishes Bioware and its awesome staff a Merry Christmas and hopes that we'll see more games as great and innovative as the ones you guys made in 2004!</em></blockquote>
Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:21 am

I’d say it’s bitter. I think it is almost impossible to make CRPG of their liking with the current graphic standard. So, there is need for compromise…nothing complex to me.

What should I say? I think my basic view to RPG is mainly from my experience of PnP RPG. So, at least, in certain areas, I feel KotOR, NWN and Elderscrolls are more successful in bringing some elements of PnP RPG than their RTS/TBS style counterparts are. I like sophistication in tactical combat and stat-based character development system but I have been a RPG fan for a long enough time to say that it is a mere part of charm/possibility of RPG after all. Their image of good old CRPG is not old enough for my generation and I take it as just a part of RPG history.

If RPG codexers were, at least, successful in making some solid mods using FO utility, I could put some respects on them.
Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:29 am

corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Personally, I just find most of their stuff totally hilarious!! Oh, it's supposed to be serious. Could have fooled me!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:01 am

quote:
Originally posted by corwin
Personally, I just find most of their stuff totally hilarious!!

With more insight, could be but the comments there can’t be more predictable and, as I see it, the rhetoric isn’t helping. Reading your post, I am not surprised if you like it, though. Sarcasm allows you to feel cleverer than the others, doesn’t it?

Seriously, is RPGcodex all about it? Hopefully, they could do more.
Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:41 am

Eh, well, VD's always been kind of angsty.

- Ex
Post Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:41 pm