Gothic
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Desdicado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Gothic

Have any of you guys played Gothic?. For some reason I missed it at the time and only read about it recently.

Is it any good?, I have heard the interface really spoils it, is this right?.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:22 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: Gothic

quote:
Originally posted by Desdicado
Have any of you guys played Gothic?. For some reason I missed it at the time and only read about it recently.

Although you probably wanted unbiased opinions youīre suddenly moved to the Gothic forum.

quote:
Is it any good?
Yes!
Objectively itīs about as good as Arx, Divinity and Morrowind, while itīs clearly better than NWN _single player_. All these 5 games are very, very different. Which you prefer is a matter of taste.

A few key features:
-A seamless 3D world. You can walk from one end to the other without a single loading break. Almost every location could be accessed by a newbie char (with godmode )
-Believable NPC and creature behaviour. (Of course this point has to be seen relative to the competition.)
-Simplicity. Everything is kept simple. You can concentrate on playing the game. Keeping track of dozens of stats and 100s of weapon characteristics is unnecessary.
-Unmatched viewing distance, 100% spoken dialog.
-No automatic combat. You are responsible for every single strike.

Should be enough for now.

quote:
I have heard the interface really spoils it, is this right?.
No. The interface is actually surprisingly simple and pretty fast when you got hold of it. What really spoils is the lacking documentation. Most reviewers didnīt even notice the mouse support because itīs only mentioned in the readme.
1/3 of the things you need to learn is explained in one of the active threads nearby. I started Gothic immediately after Ultima 9. Maybe this helped me understand the interface without any help in 3 * 5 minutes ('normal' mode, combat, trading). If somebody explains the idea the controls will grow on you. Expect an hour or so to do everything automatic.

Nevertheless you should start with Gothic II. It will be released in Europe on Friday. G2 is slightly but clearly better, it wipes out most of Gothicīs weaknesses. Especially the controls have been improved, although they are still basicly the same.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:03 pm
Scribbles
Unsent
Unsent

Just a note to add to what Gorath said about the controls. it IS really easy to use the controls if you like figuring things out. i find the controls best fit for me in the 1st person shooter style.

W - Forward
S - Backward
A - Sidestep left
D - Sidestep right
Q - Turn left
E - Turn right
F - Action button
X - Sneak mode
B - Player Statz
TAB - Inventory
L Shift - Run/Walk
Spacebar - Jump
Delete - First Person view

this may not work for you but i found it the easiest to get used to.

ENJOY YOUR RPG-ING!!!

Broken in Exile
Post Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:08 am