Gothic 1 combat controls and Gothic 1 story - need those two
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Monarch
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic 1 combat controls and Gothic 1 story - need those two

Guys, could somebody explain me this option that says GOTHIC 1 COMBAT CONTROLS? Is it some special combat controls or overall controls from Gothic 1?

I NEVER played Gothic 1, so...

Also - could somebody briefly tell me the story about Gothic 1, so I can understand what in the world is going on....
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:10 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Gothic 2 has 2 completely different combat systems. The old one is default. Itīs more complicated and offers combo atacks when you advance in the skills. The other one is pretty simple. You press a key to lock on the target, then fight with the two mouse buttons.
Try them both and stick to the one you prefer.

Last edited by Gorath on Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:15 am
Monarch
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hmmm.....its really hard if you ask me, much harder than Blade of Darkness!
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:17 am
darth
Village Leader
Village Leader

Combat tips for both control systems

Here's my tips for combat (corrections welcomed if I make any mistakes or if anyone wants to add anything please do it)

Both systems & combos:

Keep in mind that you learn combos by raising your combat skills, 30% = 3 swings, 60% = 4 swings, 90% = 5 swings. I am assuming a 2 handed weapon for these, it may differ for 1 handed but I dont have 90% in 1h yet.

To do a combo you hold LMB and press forward at the right moment so that you can perform the next swing in the combo. Timing is important but you can watch the animation as it gives you a clue as to when you have enough momentum to make the next swing.

Basically the main difference of the control system is how you 'lock' on to an opponent.

Old system:
Pressing the left mouse button and holding it will lock on to a target and then you can use the directional keys to swing at them, forward/left/right and back to parry/block. You have to let go of the LMB to select another target or to move sideways/run away.

New System:

You can do the combos just by looking at an opponent and pressing the LMB for each swing in the combo using the same timing technique. To lock on you'll have to assign a key to do so from the extended menu, I use CTRL. When you do this it will say "Orc Warrior(locked)" this means you can swing all you want but you will only hit HIM. This is useful if you are in a battle with friends and you don't want to wack them by accident. To block/parry you press the right mouse button. This system requires 2 additional keys for left and right slashes, I use W,A,S,D for movement so I have assigend Q and E for left/right slash as they are easy to press.

Tips on fighting stuff:

Monsters:
Swinging left right on most monsters is the best way to go, wait for them to come in range and swing left/right until they go down. Try not to swing wildly or aimlessly, wait until they are close enough so that you can get a hit. Blocking vs monsters is useless as you cannot parry their attacks.

Example with old system, wait for a snapper to come within range, press and hold LMB, press A then D then A then D so that you are swinging left/right at it.

Example with new system, wait for a monster to come within range and do a 4 hit combo or stand in place and press teh left/right slash buttons, (Q and E in my case)

Its easier to do combos and use the new system once you have at least 30% in 1h weapons or 60% in 2 handed weapons. For low level its easier to use the old system as it gives you MUCH more control.

Tips for fighting sword wielding enemies (humans/skeletons/orcs etc):

In the early stages its best to use the new system vs these enemies and just hold block and keep pressing LMB at them, this will hit them and block automatically. When you do it right (its easy to do) you will find that you will block all their hits and you will hit them every time. The bad part here is that its hard to fight multiple enemies at low levels using this technique. BUT if you use blocking and hiting you will learn the timing and later on you will be able to take on 4-5 orcs by yourself without getting hit too much. Its all in the timing. Also watch out for skeletons with this system because they have a double hit attack which you need to press block twice to block it succesfully. You can tell if they will do it by the animation they make. Or you can press block repeatedly and hope you block both hits.

One good fighter to practice on (as a mercenary as far as I know) is Sentenza who guards the entrance to Onar's farm. He has very good 1h skill and he is an awsome practice partner for level 5 to 15. just keep telling him that he has a butt for a face and off you go! After level 20 he goes down with 1-2 hits so he isnt worth it anymore. But by level 20 you should be able to take on 2-3 orc warriors easily. I can proudly say Sentenza tought me hot to fight in Gothic 2, we sparred for hours! And I got my 50 gold back!

Here's a free tip for beating trolls early (like level 5-10), just keep going behind it and slap its butt silly, always run behind it strafing and he will never catch you or be able to hit you. You can even kill the black troll this way at like level 10 (I did this and it took me 20-25 minutes!) I was tired at the end but that was a good fight. And at level 10 you get +1000 exp and more exp and gold from Sagittas quest and Raoul's quest.

I hope some of these help.

As for the story of Gothic 1, I HIGHLY recommend you go out and buy this game and play it for yourself. It is simply the best RPG ever made in my opinion. The story is too good to ruin in a post of this manner. But again if you pay attention to the story of G2 much of G1's plot is explained in the process.
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:25 am