Worst interface ever?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Aramas
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Worst interface ever?

It looks like my new copy of Gothic will be finding it's way into the 'POS' pile pretty soon. I've never encountered such an annoying interface in all my years of gaming. The combat system is even worse - three keys to attack? The keyboard/mouse layout is just as bad. Of course the manual doesn't help. Really - it doesn't help at all. The readme file is at least some use, and I can see why they would be embarrassed to put that stuff in print. What were those guys thinking? It's not like they needed to reinvent the wheel. No one has used obscure keyboard bindings since Windows came along. I've never even seen a DOS interface this bad. I've used dozens of esoteric engineering related programs over the last decade or so, some in DOS, Unix, Solaris etc. I've manually programmed peripherals in binary and octal machine code that was more intuitive than Gothic. I've even written a few programs, and I've never seen anything that even approaches the Gothic interface's level of absolute suckiness. What's so hard about using a mouse pointer and drag-and-drop?
Most of you guys seem keen on the game, so there must be something worthwhile in there some where. So how did you get past the interface? I can't take more than ten minutes at a time without getting frustrated and hitting exit (or the several keys required to exit).
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 12:38 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

I have come to the conclusion that it is to weed out people who have no patience.

Please, almost all of the important functions are made with LMB + Up Arrow OR LMB + W in the WASD configuration.

Combat? Space-bar or the 1 key, you don't really want to accidentally attack an invulnerable NPC while talking to them, do you? Also, combat is slow and ineffective if you are not trained in the weapon's use.
I was frustrated with the controls at first, but after you get past that barrier, you may well find that it is a good game to play.

Oh, and welcome to the Boards.

P.S.: You really are going to get some flames pretty soon.

Last edited by sauron38 on Thu Apr 25, 2002 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 12:50 am
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

sigh

geez, the mouse wasnt even supposed to be used! i play the game without the mouse! to loot a corpse, face it, push ctrl+W (or up, depending on ur configuration) and ctrl+right to loot an item... combat is the best system yet, where you can use strategy instead of strength to win a battle.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 12:52 am
Aramas
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I've figured out how to do most simple things. I've talked to all the named guys at the old camp and beaten the crap out of Mud a few times (is he into porking animals and guys?). I've trained two of the hunting skills, bought the sword for the Shadow guy, paid protection and I'm trying to get the ore to train in sword fighting. I suspect I should have trained that first, but I hoped that the hunting skills would earn more from killing molerats and scavengers (it doesn't).
What I find annoying about combat is that he can't swing the sword without moving forward - sometimes right *through* the critter, so it gets free hits at his back while I shuffle the mouse half a dozen times to do a 180. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong?
Another thing is I'm having trouble killing meatbugs for the cook guy. After several minutes of swinging at one I somehow managed to squish it, but I haven't been able to do it again. Is there a 'trick' to killing them?
Is there a way of using potions etc. without opening the inventory? Can it even be done during combat, or is it just for healing up afterwards?
So far the game itself looks promising, but IMO the interface definitely sucks buttocks.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 1:20 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Instead of fighting with Up, use Left and Right in combination.

Punch Meatbugs. Punch is accessed through the ~ key.

About potions, no.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 1:25 am

You will eventually be able to do sword dances. Left/Right Up Arrow combos, with spins. The swordplay can actually become very aristic and fluid. Watch the various guys training, and try to copy their moves. There is quite a bit more to combat than you think at present. At least get to mastery with a good weapon, before you give up.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 5:15 am

You can turn around by taking your finger off the mouse button and using the left or right arrow keys. You can strafe left/right. Right mouse button down, left/right arrow keys. Listen to what the trainers say when you improve your weapon handling.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 5:19 am

Crawdaddy79
Village Leader
Village Leader

Hmmmm....

(Insert compliment for Severance/Blade of Darkness, that makes Gothic's combat system look like a joke)
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 11:39 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

(Insert comment about how Severance is an entirely different style of game and witty yet mean spirited comment asking if you hate checkers because you can't move the pieces in the same way as chess)

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 5:11 pm

You mean there are 78 more Crawdaddies out there? Gak!
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 6:00 pm

Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Oh hello most noble guest with the unmistakable signature .
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 6:05 pm
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Yeah, the interface is a bit unwieldy. I was this close |<-->| to getting rid of it, but I stuck it out, and I'm glad I did.

You'll get used to it soon.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 9:06 pm

Ive found that you should never have to use the mouse at all. Once you get used to the interface it starts to make sense. It just takes time. After awhile you shouldnt even have to think about what your doing. The combat sucks at the beginning, but once you learn a weapons skill you can swing thee sword much easier and quicker. Hang in there- once you get used to it i promise youll enjoy the game.
Post Fri Apr 26, 2002 12:57 am

Ryan

good controls

THis is one thing iv found very goiod

go to setting

and keyboard

set action to RIGHT ctrl

set the left arrow to strafe left and right arrow to strafe right

you can use mouth to spin.. and look and use the strafe keys to strafe during battle.

everythings in easy reach O_O
Post Fri Apr 26, 2002 2:19 am

Striz
Village Leader
Village Leader

Personally, i prefer the mouse, heres my setup

left click - action
right click - jump/cancel
left/right arrows - strafe left/right
up/down arrows - move foward/backward
q/w - turn left/right, i have those set all the way up there because i only use turning keys to shop with, otherwise i use the mouse to look around
0 ins (keypad) - weapon
1 (keypad) - sneak
2 (keypad) - quest screen
4 (keypad) - status screen
right shift - jump
right control - walk
Post Fri Apr 26, 2002 7:31 am