[Xbox] Morrowind
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Danny
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

[Xbox] Morrowind

I played Morrowind on my pc for quite some time, and loved it from the start, but i am suffering from RSI so i want to relief my mouse arm as much as i can.

A simple solution for my problem was the xbox version of Morrowind. I bought myself an Xbox for Morrowind only (maybe some other good crpg's will come out on the system, i thought Gothic 2 for example).

But now i read somewhere that the xbox version of Morrowind will be not near as beautifull as the PC version (low res, low distance). But how can this be when Pixel Shading is supported? Please can someone tell me otherwise? I know that the game has great gameplay and that graphics are not as important as last mentioned but i played the PC version in 800x600 with medium drawing distance and it looked great!

P.S. sorry for any grammatical errors, english ain't my first language..
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 8:33 am

they obviously have to make some sacrifices on the xbox. If you compare an x-box to a hmm standard pc, say a pretty normal pc nowadays has a 1 GHz or so cpu, 256 MB of memory and a gfx card with 32 megs onboard, plus probably a soundcard with some memory and stuff

The xbox on the other hand as far as I can remember is built around a 733 MHz p3 with 64 megs of memory shared between system and grafix card, plus it's probably fairly limited in resolution as it's supposed to be able to run on any mainstream tv so it will be limited to 640x480 screen resolution at best

These specs will probably suffice for most games and stuff, but as we've been discussing to death MW is a resource hog of the rare type hehe

I'm sure someone will come up with a more specific spec for the x-box and such but basically it's about power and resources.

This is a god article on the xbox http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1561&p=1
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 1:10 pm

hm, good article that is not god damn have to register soon so I can edit my posts!
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 1:11 pm

Danny
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks for you reply. But what i can't understand is why they support pixel shading? (for the nice water effects). From what i read, this drops the fps with 5 a 10.

So if the framerate from the xbox version isn't very high because of the high system demands for this game, why do they use pixel shading? I'd rather play in a higher resolution then have a choppy framerate but nice water...
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 1:26 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Pixel shading is an advanced feature of the GPU (that's graphical processing unit, or the specialized cpu on your video card). What that means is, your GPU can do this independent of the rest of the system. Especially system like the X-box. At 640x480, the GPU has plenty of time to number-crunch the pixel shading stuff. I think X-box has gf2 or gf3 GPUs inside which are more than strong enough to do all this by themselves.

Why you get drops in framerate on normal PCs is because most people run at resolutions like 1280x960. Meaning, the GPU has to compute 4 times as much information for each and every frame.
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 2:51 pm
Midiboy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

you also have to remember that the XBox has nowhere near the overhead a PC does. It does not have Windows to worry about, it does not have any background services that have to run, and it does not have to worry about direct x compatibility. The Xbox can talk to the hardware directly...it does not have to talk to the hardware through software.

Check out http://www.midiboy.com for info about Midiboy Music
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 2:58 pm
Danny
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Midiboy
you also have to remember that the XBox has nowhere near the overhead a PC does. It does not have Windows to worry about, it does not have any background services that have to run, and it does not have to worry about direct x compatibility. The Xbox can talk to the hardware directly...it does not have to talk to the hardware through software.

Exactly! But why do i read lots of stories from people who say that the xbox version is running at 640x480 with view distance set to close. Ofcourse i don't know if those stories are true, but if more then 5 persons say this there must be some sort of truth in it?
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:03 pm
Midiboy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

A TV can't handle much more than 640x480 and do a good job. As far as view set to close, most people that I know that have seen the XBox version on the tv said that the view distance is definately closer than the PC, but it still looks really good. You know...there are like 30 screenshots for the xbox version up linked right from this websites front page. Check it out.

Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:07 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

These shots seem to be PC shots, not XBox shots. At least that is what is said now.
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:10 pm
Midiboy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

DOH!

Oh well. Still, all you XBoxers out there...get the game. It is so cool! I just beat the main quest and will be starting over in a few weeks with a different character.

I still think this will go down as one of the coolest games ever.

Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:13 pm
Danny
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yeah i noticed the screenshots on the frontpage and i also read something about them being pc screenshots...I also agree that Morrowind is one of the best crpg's i have ever played (and i must say that i have played quite a few). It's just that im a total noob when it comes to consoles and tv's

Like i said, i played pc games my whole life, but i am rather forced to play games on a console nowadays because of the rsi problems i've got. I guess i'm just spoiled with the high resolutions pc-monitors can handle

Btw: I even bought a new 82cm Philips TV for my first console
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:19 pm
Midiboy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Sounds like a nice TV! I have a 52." (I am not sure what that compares to in centimeters...I use that stupid form of measurement that the US uses...you know...the one that isn't consistant at all...)

Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:27 pm
Danny
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Midiboy
Sounds like a nice TV! I have a 52." (I am not sure what that compares to in centimeters...I use that stupid form of measurement that the US uses...you know...the one that isn't consistant at all...)

52" ? That is 52 inch if i'm correct? Inch is 2.54 cm? No that cannot be, it would be one heck of a TV!
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:34 pm
Midiboy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Yup. Inches. It is one pretty big heck of a tv.

Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:48 pm
Danny
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

That's one big TV alright!

Ontopic: Does anyone know if all of the pc-content also will be in the xbox version? Same quests, same character generation, same great world etc.
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:45 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next