Dreams of a LotR RPG!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Dreams of a LotR RPG!

To all the LotR fans, what would you like to see in a LotR RPG game? And whice company would you like to develop it?

I don't realy know what i think, but a LotR RPG game would be great... too bad they are not planning on doing it, of what i have heard, its more an action game.

Find out more about the LotR games here: http://www.lotr.com/
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 2:59 am
Windwalking
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I love Lord of the Rings, but I'm not sure it would be a great RPG, at least anymore, for the following reasons:

1) Lord of the Rings was essentially the inspiration for the Dungeons and Dragons world, of which there are a TON of games out there. It's not LotR's fault for inspiring these copycats, but Tolkien's world has been done many times in an RPG, albeit in a mutated form (D&D creators actually wanted to base D&D off of LotR, but Tolkien refused, which is why D&D changed hobbits into halflings).

2) The story of Lord of the Rings is so well known and is very linear; people will complain if you stick too close to the main path (where's the sense of exploration?) and will complain if you stray too far from it (this ain't LotR!). Catch-22... Also, will they let you develop your own characters the way you want to? What if you want Frodo to be a mage? Who would you even control? Basically, you may have to allow for a parallel universe type of storyline if you want it to be an RPG and not an interactive movie...

It could work out, but only if it stayed away from the main storyline, methinks. But then again, that's the main draw of a LoTR game, isn't it?

- Wind
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 4:33 am
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

you could always download V&K's Tolkien mod for diablo or diablo 2. thats about as close as LotR is gonna come to being an RPG, for the reasons the windy one listed.
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:13 am
TheRaven
Village Leader
Village Leader

Tolkien Mod for Diablo?! cool! where can I get it?
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:46 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

As much as I love the LotR, I would not want to play a RPG specifically based on the book, for the same reason I rarely replay games, I already know nearly everything about it. If they would make a RPG based on Middle Earth, I'd love it, especially if it were MMP, but RPG's based specifically on errr wait, I just thought of something. BaK was based on a specific book was it not? And that game was well loved by many. but many probably didn't read "Krondor the Betrayal" before they got the game.

Uhhh bottom line, if someone makes a RPG based on LotR, good I'll try a demo and see how I like it, if not, no biggy, I can always reread the books.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:48 am
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

quote:
Originally posted by TheRaven
Tolkien Mod for Diablo?! cool! where can I get it?

uhhhhhh...i used to have a bookmark on their site. hang on.

hmm...the page is a apparently 403: verboten! but maybe it'll work for your for some reason

www.vkmods.de
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:35 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I pity you non-table top CRPGers, then. I've played three or four incarnations of table top systems for Lord of the Rings. Some custom D&D setting... others 'official'

MERP - Middle Earth Roleplaying. Too bad it's hackmaster... er... rollmaster... er... rolemaster rules. Though the critical hits and fumbles tables were amusing (and filled half the book. Great emphasis on 'role'playing there... )

"The targets nervous system acts as a superconductor. Try a spatula."

"You stumble over an invisible imaginary deceased turtle and miss your turn. You are very confused."

My troll with a great sword was a real brute... he almost hurt a Balrog.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:37 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Who said you had to be someone from the fellowship, Windwalking?

Maybe you could be a warrior from Gondor? Or an elf from Lothlorien? I think it would be cool to explore the world of Middle-Earth.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:54 pm