The Bard's Tale (XBox): Review @ GameSpot
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

The Bard's Tale (XBox): Review @ GameSpot

GameSpot awarded inXile's 'The Bard's Tale' for XBox a score of 6.7/10 in their <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/thebardstale/review.html" target="_blank">review</a>.<blockquote><em>Despite the fact that it bears the name of a much-loved mid-'80s computer role-playing game, and despite the fact that it's the handiwork of one of that game's creators, InXile's reenvisioning of The Bard's Tale is not a nostalgia piece for fans of old PC RPGs. Borrowing Snowblind's Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance engine, as well as its overall structure, The Bard's Tale is a decent dungeon crawler that invests some energy into lampooning RPGs and high fantasy in general, but like a stand-up act about airline food or the line at the post office, its perspective isn't very interesting, and it lacks any real follow-through. If you're not looking for the sequel to Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and can see your past a few problems, you'll find that The Bard's Tale is a fair action RPG.</em></blockquote>
Post Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:54 pm

No! I want this to be a good game! This is to low! So I think the review is poor and the game is better! btw if you look on metacritics.com you'll see the average rating of 78. hmm I have to wait some more month till the game's released on pc ... want to test it by myself !
Post Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:57 pm

Priest4hire
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Odd that the review doesn't mention the dialog system, or the way different choices can lead to different unforeseeable results later on, at all. Given the uniqueness of that dialog system I'd think it would have been covered.

On the whole it sounds like the actual hack and slash gameplay is interesting but flawed. I suspect how well someone likes the game then will hinge on how well the humor goes over. Since I tend to enjoy the style of humor Bard's Tale seems to employ I'll be sure to check it out when I can.

Grammaton Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Post Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:07 am
fernelf
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gamespot's review was WAY OFF in my opinion. Ign is much closer to how I feel about the game.

I am loving this game btw. It has become the best game I have bought all year. ( I spend about 800 us dollars a year on games)

If you like rpg's and like humor you will love this game.

There is so much replay value to this game. I have been playing 8 hrs now and am still in the very beginning of the game. This game is not short at all. The hero becomes very human and is the most rounded char I have ever had the pleasure of playing with. The cliche's are so funny at times I find myself laughing so hard I am crying. The game is never repetive and never predictable.

I do not like the overhead camera too much but that is about the only thing so far I am not fond of. This game is very different then any game I have played. It is way over tops when it comes to fable. I love Morrowind..but this game even tops that game when it comes to making me really get caught up in the hero. There are cut scenes when you talk to npc's and that does help alot with the overhead view.

This is a game I wll be playing for quite some time. I do hope they get enough money from the sale of this game to continue making more of the Bards Tale series. I know I will buy every one they come out with it they are as good as this one.

I think Gamespot treated this game very unfair and I do believe they are already taking some flack for their review.

Those that have gotten the game are really liking the game. I have yet to read a post on any board from a customer that has a negative experience . I am sure there will be a few people that do not like the game..but heck if I can find one yet.

This is a instant favorite for me. If you are leary(because of the Fable hype-liked Fable btw the just was hoping for more )..then rent this game . I really think that after you rent the game you will buy it. There is no way one could play the game in one rentel period.

Treat yourself to this game...you will not be disapointed. I bet if you play it..you will be emailing gamespot about their lousy review..lol...I know I did!
Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:42 am

I love rpgs and I love humor and I would greatly disliked this gameif I was looking for an rpg. It is only an rpg in the sense that FBOS and BG: DA 1 and 2 were, which is saying it is not an rpg at all.

As an action game goes it is good and is pretty funny and entertaining. You only have two dialogue choices: happy face and mean face. I would recommend it if you are looking for rpg-super lite.

The story is linear, choices that matter are non-existant, but it makes you laugh and want to continue playing.

I can't see why anyone would say it has replay value. I'm about 12 hours in and haven't seen any reason to play again. I have chose the happy face response every time though, so maybe if you want to choose the mean face response and see what happens that might motivate someone to play through again.

But this is not a role playing game.
Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:19 am