Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Anyone else encountering dump-to-desktop syndrome?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Dreadloch
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I am running a P4 1.6a (o/c to 2.1), 512MB Corsair XMS2700 RAM, Win XP Pro, GeForce3 with the 28.32 drivers.

For me, the game will occasionally crash to desktop during savegame loads. It crashed once during a fight with an NPC. It also crashed once when clicking on the Cancel button during a barter session. Whether my overclocking is doing this is unclear, since my system is very stable with other games, even the O/C sensitive Unreal engine games, at this setting.

It crashes VERY FAST to desktop, which strikes me as being memory related. Maybe I'm wrong.

I've been doing a lot of saves and loads. Maybe there is a bug related to loads, such as a memory leak, etc. where the memory simply runs out of resources and dumps to desktop.

For those of you who have a lot of these crashes, are you also doing a lot of save and load games? I haven't encountered the dagger problem as yet.

Regardless, Morrowind is such a great experience, these little crashes are hardly discouraging. Thankfully, they have occured at moments when there is little progress to lose.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 3:18 pm
modi

turning Frame rate display on caused me to crash

I've played about 10+ hours so far without any crashes except 1. I turned on the Frame Rate display within the ini file and after about 20 minutes of gameplay I crashed to the desktop. Not sure if it was coincidence or not, however after I tweaked my settings and turned it back off I haven't crashed since.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 4:49 pm

kinsen

Solution for desktop dumping...

I might have a temporary solution for those getting dumped to the desktop. Try playing the game in a resolution different from your desktop. Everytime I have been dumped, it was when I was running the same resolution as my desktop. Now that I've changed that, it hasn't happened since.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 5:22 pm

kinsen

I take that back, just crashed for me with different resolutions
Post Sat May 04, 2002 11:35 pm

No time to register :)

Crash to desktop not isolated to GF2

I bought 3 copies of Morrowing on Thursday from EB. Two copies were for friend both have the 32mb Geforce 2 MX. They have yet to experience any crashes to desktop, only low framerates and the occasional "pausing."

Myself on the otherhand have a Radeon 32mb DDR. I get frequent crashes to desktop. No errors, the game just stops playing. I currently use the 6043 drivers. I tried the 6037 drivers and had the same problem.

Specs:
PIII 800mhz
384mb pc133 ram
Radeon 32mb DDR (6043 drivers- most current)
Acoustic Edge soundcard (1.86 drivers- most current)
Aopen AX34 motherboard (1438 drivers- most current VIA drivers)

I followed all of the suggestions on the Elderscrolls tech forum. Nothing. Even lowering my directx audio acceleration to basic. Nothing.

FYI- FPS (1024x768) View distance 60%.
Oudoors 10-20
Indoors 20-70
Playing in a sandstorm 5-7
Lowering my resolution to 800x600 only increases FPS by an average of 5.

My machine couldn't be more optimized. Scan disk and defragged before installation. Drivers up to date. Closed all programs running in the background.

I even installed the no scandisk exe from Gamecopyworld.

Hopefully there will be some official response to this problem soon.

Good luck.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 1:22 am

No time to register :)

Crash to desktop not isolated to GF2

Continued from above.

Sorry, need to add this..

My crashes to desktop occure at random. Usually just walking around exploring. Sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes 20.

Also, I am running Windows XP Pro.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 1:26 am

bump
Post Sun May 05, 2002 2:41 am

Dumped to Desktop

I was just dumped to desktop after trying to select some arrows in my inventory. Apparently I am the only one with a Radeon (7200, rest is Athlon XP 1900+, 256 DDR, Soyo Dragon+ MB, Win XP).

I really wish there was a way to con monsters, so when you get in over your head you don't die so often.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 6:38 am

Well I have also had the dump to desk top problems. My system is brand new with all the latest drivers installed. The only thing that I can think is possibly a problem is my sound card which is integrated to my motherboard. I have Gigabyte 7VXRP which uses a Soundblaster PCI 128 compatible card CT5880?. The latest driver is not available from soundblaster yet for Windows Xp

My other systme specs are as follows:
AMD Athlon XP 2100
Leadtek ti400 (nvidia driver)
Gigabyte 7VXRP motherboard
512 mb ram PC2700
80 Gig Hardrive
And my system is clean as whistle with almost nothing running at start-up.
Windows XP (Possible source, I'll bet a dollar Microsoft is all screwed up, bt I don't think the poroperties setting allows changing the compaiblity mode for Morrowind)

I tried reducing the settings for my direct X sound to lower the level 2 notches and no go...still crashed.

I knew instinctively, when I upgraded, not to go cheap charlie (sorry for those named charlie out there just a figure of speech) on my sound card. But sound really isn't that important to me as far as soundtracks and effects. I will admit though this game has changed my mind, the soundtrack is absolutely amazing!

Looks like I'm gonna upgrade the soundcard, hope, then pray...then tie a chciken bone around my neck and chant. Hope the problem can be solved this way.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 6:42 am

Kinsen

problem...

This is definitely a memory issue or something on their end they need to fix. There's just no way it could be user-end with this many people having the same problem. My system is about as basic as you can get and should have no problems running Morrowind. P3 800, geforce 3, 384 mb ram, sb live, windows 98, gigs of space free, and totally defragged. What's the problem here Bethesda?
Post Sun May 05, 2002 9:53 am

OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

Bump for Bethesda Techies to see (NT)

=Member of The Nonflamers' Guild=
=Neverwinter Nights Co-Moderator=
Post Sun May 05, 2002 9:22 pm
kinsen

figured out crashing to desktop... maybe

The person with the radeon 7200 has only confirmed my idea that it has to do with selecting things in the inventory. I've actually been able to recreate the bug so it causes me to crash to the desktop no matter what. It has something to do with the amount of items in your inventory and there's one huge sign that gives away it's going to crash soon. For some reason after a while when I click on arrows or anything stacked for that matter, it automatically selects one at a time and doesn't give me the slider bar to select the amount I want to remove. EVERYTIME it has done that, a crash to desktop follows soon after.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 3:44 am

Pugnate
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

R8500
768 MB RAM
AMD 1.4

Game running like crap.

Crashes.. at random.. thend to happen when I haven't saved in a long time.
And the game still stutters.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 3:53 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3