W0W: Review @ Just Adventure
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kristophe
Obi-Wan Kermobi
Obi-Wan Kermobi

W0W: Review @ Just Adventure

It may be slightly belated, but Just Adventure's Mike Schwab surprised me with his rave <a href="http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/WOW/WOW.shtm" target="_blank">review</a> of Blizzard Entertainment's epic MMORPG - the World of Warcraft (for which Mike gives WoW an overall grade of A+ and tells Blizzard to "go to the head of the class"... <br> <br> <blockquote><em>I don’t want to ruin any more of the fun of discovery with this game, so you’ll have to trust me when I say World of Warcraft is a blast to play, and incredibly addicting. The interesting thing is, Blizzard really hasn’t created anything innovative or revolutionary here. They’ve just cleaned up your standard Dungeons and Dragons style online RPG and made it super fun, extremely refined, and exceedingly accessible to gamers of all levels. If you’re new to RPGs, don’t be scared off by the complexity of these types of games, World of Warcraft is incredibly intuitive, and it’s extremely easy to dive right in and start playing. And because of the depth of the gameplay and the potential for future expansions, it may be a game that you play for years to come. Just be warned, it may occupy any free time you have to offer. <br></em></blockquote>
Post Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:12 pm
Amparo

Tired

quote:
And because of the depth of the gameplay

What?

This fellow must have not graduated Kindergarten if he thinks World of Warcraft's gameplay has "depth."

Kills lots of things. Level up.
Combine things to make new things. Level up.

It is unreal how manay "reviews" *cough* call World of Warcraft the best thing since butter.

Hi. My name is Amparo. I am flaming every fanboy-bandwagon-flavor of the month-latest fad tripe of journalism praising this good game. Yes, it is a good game, quite fun actually. It is NOT the reincarnation of Christ however. Look for me whereever you see WoW review newsbits. Have a nice day.
Post Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:19 pm

Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Re: Tired

You're funny ...

NOT!
Post Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:36 pm
Anatol

Another reviewer that obviously has not played the game. One thing I would really love is if people quit calling WoW an MMORPG. It is nothing more than diablo set in a massively multiplayer warcraft universe.

Blizzard is good at one thing and one thing alone: Catering to the lowest common denominator with dumbed down, feature stripped versions of other games that have been done before. I call Blizzard the "Made for tv" company.

If you are looking for 1) depth of gameplay 2) longevity 3) RP 4) a halfway decent community 5) developers that actually update the content or 6) devs that actually care about the feedback from their players, then you would be best served looking elsewhere.[/code]
Post Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:40 pm

Jadar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I'll give them credit for not copying the bad ideas of the other big players in this genre; down time and camping are two examples. On the other hand, pvp is as bad or worse than the first months of UO. I expected more from a company that makes strategy games. I don't expect this game to have the lasting power of its competitors. There isn't enough here to keep players around for more than a few months. When my pre pay is up I'm gone.
Post Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:16 am
FadedC

So your saying that WoW is not a MMORPG? Have you actualy played any other MMORPGs before? If WoW is not one, then neither is EQ, EQ2, City of Heroes, DAOC, or any number of other games. It's ultimately not all that different then any of those games, just more refined. Some of your other comments are (in my opinion) pretty off base too, but saying it's not a MMORPG.....that's just completely out there. There is no possible way to justify that statement.
Post Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:38 am

Roqua1

I hate mmorpgs, all of them, with a passion. They all stink. But WoW is a good one. And the end instances (non raids) are the most tactical and hardest dungeons I've seen in any game to date. Its not about equipment, its about team work and knowing your role well and never messing up and planning ahead and taking it slow.

If you don't like the pvp don't play on a pvp server, dummy. You will never have to worry about it ever. Unless you want to. And the battlefield and pvp honor system update would be an expansion in any other mmorpg, but a free update in wow.

I made it to lvl 60 and didn't have to grind once. When I played I could get something done. Noit being able to find a group didn't slow my advancement. And the pvp was a ball.

Out of all the past, present, and future mmorpg crap coming, wow is hands down the best.

Why I quit playing? The community is angry and hostile on their forums for one thing. And secondly, once at lvl 60 the solo item drops become so rare as to force you to find groups and do instances. I don't want to stand in IF doing nothing, or finally get in a group made up of retards that want to do an emp run and have zero chance of ever actually getting to the emp, never mind beating him. Because its not just about getting a group, its about getting a great group with a great leader.

So when I got a couple hours to play I would grind the lvl 57-60 mobs and never even get a green drop, never mind a blue. Why bother? I had plenty of gold but everything besides krol that i wanted was bop from instances. There is always a raid going but I would rather go to a backstreet boys concert than go on a raid instance.

And before anyone says anything, the only game with different end game content is SB. EQ, EQ2 Daoc, SWG, etc, all the same stupid crap at the end as wow does. At least in SB the end game is just pvp (or gvg), and a lot of it.
Post Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:28 pm

Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Never thought I'd see the day when you played a MMO, Roqua. Best laugh I've had in ages.
Post Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:47 pm
FadedC

Yeah the quality of the end game in WoW is greatly effected by weither or not you have good people you enjoy playing with. Being part of a good guild is a must once you hit lvl 60 at the moment. But overall the end game could use a little work. I guess that's pretty common for a new MMORPG though (and in fact WoW is better then most there). Much of WoW's future will be determined by how well they manage to evolve (like every other game). It's not quite a big deal yet as most players still haven't hit the end game, but in a month or two...we will have to see.
Post Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:43 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
Never thought I'd see the day when you played a MMO, Roqua. Best laugh I've had in ages.

I never did either, but I got in the beta test and liked it since the skill trees made up for non cookie cutter classes, there was no grinding, and I could solo throughout.

My wife almost killed me I played so much. And once I asked her if I could buy gold on ebay for the game and she actually physically beat me like a pimp. She can buy stupid crap like shoes and make-up though. Both times I got charged for the monthly fee she had a minor brain anurism (I still can't spell good).

But check out this game Drhuin, it looks great for an mmorpg:

http://www.tacticaonline.com/news.shtml

Besides Bloodlines (which was a crap RT game, but everything else made up for it), there really is nothing much of interest happening in the SP crpg arena, and I really can't stand mmorpgs. The journey to lvl 60 in wow was fast and could be done solo so it kept my interest, but tyhen the same crap.

So, on my free time I'm writing my own p&p rpg system and world, which is pretty sad since I've never actually played a pen and p[aper rpg besides the time I did with Val, Ammon777, Korplem, etc, via message board.

I've found out what I like and what I don't like in a system. Some good rpgs worth checking out are "The Burning Wheel, Chivalry and Sorcery, Harn, The Basic Roleplaying System (by Chaosium, used to be called something else I guess), GURPS, Ars Magica."

You can get the Lite version of alot of those for free. Some sites give away whole systems for free that are defeintly worth having if just for ideas.

You can get Ars Magica at http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=774&

You can get Witchcraft, Tri-stat system (not my cake) at http://www.drivethrurpg.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=139
as well as some VtR and WW modules and shadowrun quickstart rules

If you can't play a crpg, mine as well make an rpg that you would like and gets everything right for you.
Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:27 am

Dhruin

quote:
Originally posted by Roqua
I never did either, but I got in the beta test and liked it since the skill trees made up for non cookie cutter classes, there was no grinding, and I could solo throughout.

I enjoyed it for the same reasons for a while. It was a pleasant diversion but in the end, I like some sort of story or gameworld-impact to be satisfied...so it was fun but I stopped after the second month.

quote:
But check out this game Drhuin, it looks great for an mmorpg:

http://www.tacticaonline.com/news.shtml

I'm finalising some questions for an interview on Tactica Online right now...looks fascinating and completely different to anything else out there.

quote:
Besides Bloodlines (which was a crap RT game, but everything else made up for it), there really is nothing much of interest happening in the SP crpg arena, and I really can't stand mmorpgs. The journey to lvl 60 in wow was fast and could be done solo so it kept my interest, but tyhen the same crap.

So, on my free time I'm writing my own p&p rpg system and world, which is pretty sad since I've never actually played a pen and p[aper rpg besides the time I did with Val, Ammon777, Korplem, etc, via message board.

I've found out what I like and what I don't like in a system. Some good rpgs worth checking out are "The Burning Wheel, Chivalry and Sorcery, Harn, The Basic Roleplaying System (by Chaosium, used to be called something else I guess), GURPS, Ars Magica."

You can get the Lite version of alot of those for free. Some sites give away whole systems for free that are defeintly worth having if just for ideas.

You can get Ars Magica at http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=774&

You can get Witchcraft, Tri-stat system (not my cake) at http://www.drivethrurpg.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=139
as well as some VtR and WW modules and shadowrun quickstart rules

If you can't play a crpg, mine as well make an rpg that you would like and gets everything right for you.

I thoroughly enjoyed Bloodlines (yes, even the crap combat ) but I hear you otherwise. Good luck with your PnP system!
Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:44 am