It's easier the second time around
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

It's easier the second time around

Well, I started a new game because of two reasons (accidentally killing the Frog in the swamp and screwing ujp the Martin's Bluff guest)
I will say that my strategy has changed considerably since my first time through.
My mage is casting X-Ray, my fighter has Iron everything, everyone is getting dialed-in to become what they are supposed to be instead of just awarding points with no reasoning (like I did the first time). Like I said, my characters are getting in great shape, and I'm only in the lower monastary! By the time I get to the swamp I should be one-tough blankety-blank.
Post Sun Apr 14, 2002 12:30 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Well, I wish you more luck on your second way trought. I hope you will find frogs leg and everything else you will need in right time.

I also started two times. However first time I just walked out of Monastery and when I first time met group of Higardi I realized that my group was not right group (it was my first experience with such complex RPG where you create party and not only one character).
Post Sun Apr 14, 2002 12:39 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

I am still in the lower monastary and still fighting some heavy battles. I was fighting so much that right now I have 5 of 6 characters leveling to level 10! No time to award points, monsters everywhere. I don't know when I will venture up to the Upper Monastary.
By the way, my crew consists of:
Dracon Fighter
Mook Bard
Mook Ranger
Elf Mage
Rawluf Priest
Farie Gadeteer
Post Sun Apr 14, 2002 3:18 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

You're level 10 and still in the lower monestary? Are you playing on "hard" level, or are you wandering around looking for fights? Not saying that this is wrong, just kind of curious, since I'm headed to Trynton now and only up to level 8.
Post Sun Apr 14, 2002 11:41 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, it is very high level to reach more than 10 in lower monastery. You will have much easier fights when you leave it.
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:22 am
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

Well, I moved up to the upper Monastery and yes, I'm looking for fights, in fact, I'm going out of my way for fights, and I cast defensive spells every chance I get. If I see no monsters using x-ray then I cast every spell that I can and go to sleep. When I wake up, monsters are everywhere. This does get boring after a while; but I want to be prepared for the road trip after I leave the upper Monastery. Last time I got beat up pretty badly, that will not happen again. I am power casting spells now and awarding spells to my gadeteer under lock-pick (which I didn't do last time).
I checked the combat setting and I am on normal, the same as I was my first time through, I will bump it up to hard when I go home tonight.
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 4:00 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek

It was my first experience with such complex RPG where you create party and not only one character).

True words
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 4:02 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

So it is first experience with such game also for you Max?
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:42 pm

I have played Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale of course; but the group that you selected in those games doesn't seem as critical as it does in this game. I tried different parties in Wizardry until I got my present party. My Gadeteer isn't very strong for now (nor was he very strong before I started over). Of course, my party isn't very special, meaning that I have picked a "safe" group with no real surprises. I was contemplating playing without the Gadeteer and replacing him with some "tank"; but I am giving him one more chance.
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:58 pm

Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

The above post was mine, I got logged out for some reason.
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Shadow_Fyre
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Max, be patient. The Gadgeteer will start to come into his own around levels 11 to 13. At that point, you will have about one third of the gadgets and can make some nice weapons (Gadgets). The gadgeteer is the KING/QUEEN of causing status effects (At least in my party). I cannot wait till level 26 and the Armageddon attachment.
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 7:46 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Max: A little advice when you level up!: For your fighter only put points in Strenght and Dexterity until the values reach 100 to trigger the expert skills as fast as possible. For your priest and mage only put points into Intelligens and Piety until they reach 100. For your bard and gadgeteer I recommend to put points in "Vitality" and "Dexterity" or "intelligens" depending on if you will develop their magical spells or their fighting skills.
It's important that you only put point into the same two attributes every time you level up until they reach 100 to trigger the expert skills as fast as possible! The expert skills are really worth it!

When distibuting skill point I recommend for the fighter only to put points into "expert skills" and weapon/combat skills. For your priest/mage only put points into "expert skills" and magic skills and nothing else! The Bard ofcourse "music" and "expert" skills and depnding on your preferences only combat/weapon skills or "magic" skills! The same for the gadgeteer except that his main skill is the "engineering" skill instead of "music".
Post Tue Apr 16, 2002 6:37 am
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

Let me re-phrase the topic heading. It is easier the second time around; but if you buff yourself up in the monastery first, then you're going to pay the price later. I made it to Trynton and the monsters are at 300+ points. The first time that I played the monsters were barely at 100 points. I'm paying the price of strenghtening my party up; but I will say that we're pretty bad dudes.
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 3:28 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

The game nominally auto-levels the monsters to keep it challenging for your party. Had I gotten to this thread sooner, I would have told you my guess that the road out of the monastery would be even tougher. (See thread on the all alchemist party, which warns you against levelling up too much before you hit the road.) On the other hand, I understand there are also maximums for each area (you shouldn't find a death lord on the road to Arnika).

I seem to recall being up around level 10 when I hit the road, and I still had trouble with those damn Higardi. Of course, you have better strategy now having played this part before.

In assigning points, I put them into main attribute for character (e.g. piety for priest, intelligence for mage, etc.) and then focused on vitality.
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 2:35 am
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

Different level characters

You can stick around for more random encounters, and build up to higher levels before you venture out. For a person playing it the first time through, though, it might seem a little boring to them.

There is another reason though that different players will have different levels coming out of the monastery. I am playing with a party imported from Wiz7, so I had higher level characters to start off with, and I assume my encounters in the monastery were correspondingly tougher and worth more experience.

(Edit: I have restarted with a second party, a non-import, and found that the monastery encounters are in fact much easier.)

Last edited by Bilbo on Fri May 10, 2002 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 2:58 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next