View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Kalinin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

AHH! The Evil Screen!

Here is my problem...
I am a veteran 3dfx user (had/have/used) all voodoo cards up to 4, I know a fair bit about the cards and have almost always got the game I needed to work, the exceptions are Morrowind, NWN (32mb cards required, but I have a little solution for it , the games run too slow though)...and Gothic 2. Before I used to have some poly problems and flickering, but I've settled that (via drivers and Gothic.ini), now I recieve the infamous blue screen of death (Kmode exception) with an exception at " Address BD97E4D5 base at BD973000, DateStamp 39c25814- 3dfxvs.dll", the numbers always change but the dll remains. I think I've tried every voodoo driver known to man (including 3dhq 10) but nothing, I still get the screen every 10-30 minutes.
Here's what I 've tried:
I have disabled in-game audio (and the Aureal Vortex card itself), deleted registry entries for 3dfxvs.dll and the file itself (which isn't a good idea), played with some system and Gothic2 dll files, lowered all in-game texture/detail settings to the very lowest, tried the new 3D analyzer (but the game doesn't start), shut off all background programs, reinstalled the game, checked CPU temp (normal), and other minor things I have forgotten...I've even reinstalled the OS. The game runs perfectly for 10-30 mins, but then crashes.
Please don't give me a "get a new card reply", even though I'm thinking about it...but what I will get will suck anyway.

My specs are:
PIII 550mhz
Voodoo 3 AGP 3500 (DX 8.1)
Aureal Audio
384mb RAM (this can't be the problem, I've run many more RAM intensive games than Gothic quite well...which is 15-20fps )
20 gig hard drive, partitioned
Windows 2000 pro

So...anyone know 3dfx REALLY well?
Post Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:38 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Afaik a Voodoo 3 doesn´t meet the minimum requirements (32 MB). Gothic 1 worked (more or less). Maybe the increased texture resolution and the T&L are too much for this antique.
I think somebody made it work surprisingly well on a Voodoo 5.
Post Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:11 am
Kalinin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Strange...I thought the minimum requirments asked for a 16mb card...maybe I missed something , but anyway, I have ordered a tnt2 32mb so everything should work when it comes in a few days...
Post Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:13 pm