Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
The framerates are ridiculous and unacceptable....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
MamoVaka

"Guest"

Can you PLEASE help me then and "CONFIGURE" my system for me? Where do I go to make it faster, here are my specs

xp1900+
512 ddr pc2100
Soyo Dragon + MOBO
SBsudigy
WinXP PRO
newest official detonator drivers
Geforce 4 ti4600
3dmark2001 SE: 9200

What can I do to get another 1000 out of it man? because I really need some help here.. How do I configure my pc?
Post Sat May 04, 2002 7:46 am

Shifter

People just don't get what fps are. It doesn't mean jack in a game like this. I have a high end system and with everything on max I only get 15-20 fps outside in town and I am completely happy with it..turn the numbers off and you would never know..things run smoothly enough. Stop trying to pick out problems and play the damn game. This game is amazing.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 8:20 am

MamoVaka

shifter

15-20 is acceptable in this game and if I were getting that I would agree, UNFORTUNATELY I get 8 to 9 sometimes and that is just silly with my system
Post Sat May 04, 2002 4:16 pm

Re: Bleh

quote:
Originally posted by Somnus
Love it.
Too many sausage-jockeys out there that get offended because a game actually *tests* their top of the range PC.
Of course if you run it at the highest resolution, with all the features on, it'll slow a 2.2ghz cpu and geforce 4 down, I hate to break it to you, but the graphics and detail in the game are the highest that have ever existed. The game isn't broken, or buggy, it just eats up system resources because of what it is.

And no, people aren't 'bending over' for developers, they're just recognizing the effort that has gone into a game that took 3 years to write. It's little slack-jawed prepubescents like you, that have tiny-fisted tantrums because their computer isn't the Cray T3E they seemed to think it is, that do the bending over.

Quit the griping, you lover of veiny bangsticks.

*ahem* Be safe all.

Somnus

Hey suckass,
Let's see what people are reporting on this and other forums, games showing up without cd's, regular dumps to the desktop, and a significant number of users report bad framerates....neevrmind the fact that Bethesda's website is so bottled up with people complaining that you can't even log on...Yeahm these guys rule!!!

I can hear you now as you bukkake the Bethesda development team...."Promise me a good game!!, Promise me a good game!!...MORE LUBE!! MORE LUBE!!...Promise me a good game!!"

I guess a belly full of blown loads would cause dementia in anyone....
Post Sat May 04, 2002 5:02 pm

Sledgehammer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

my performance part 2

Some more information for those still worried about performance. What is acceptable performance? To me, acceptable means that the framerates are smooth enough and bugs few enough that I can be immersed in a game and enjoy it without being distracted by sluggish gameplay. I have had only one crash in about 35 hours of play now. The performance has been great on my home system, XP1700+ GF3 Ti200 512MB ram. I even played it for 2 hours at work on my T-bird 950 256MB GF2 GTS at 800 x 600 and it was fine. I didn't get any work done. My wife yelled at me. See? THATS, a great game.

This isn't a "rocket-jumping" "twitch-reflex" game, it's based on exploration and adventure.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 7:12 pm
Warmaster-Horus
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Re: Bleh

[quote="Anonymous

Hey suckass,
Let's see what people are reporting on this and other forums, games showing up without cd's, regular dumps to the desktop, and a significant number of users report bad framerates....neevrmind the fact that Bethesda's website is so bottled up with people complaining that you can't even log on...Yeahm these guys rule!!!

I can hear you now as you bukkake the Bethesda development team...."Promise me a good game!!, Promise me a good game!!...MORE LUBE!! MORE LUBE!!...Promise me a good game!!"

I guess a belly full of blown loads would cause dementia in anyone....[/quote]

Wow, that was really...um... deep. True words of wisdom if you get my meaning. No really, i'm serious, i think that post had far reaching benifits for all gamers. It'll usher in a new age of rock solid games that have no bugs, because we don't need rational thinking, what we need is raw, unadultered flaming, cause that'll solve everything

=Leader of the Horus Heresy=
=Champion of Khorne=
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE THRONE
Post Sat May 04, 2002 7:31 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Something many of you may find useful

On the BIS boards, a poster recommended this link:
http://gcw.gamingelite.com/games/files/Morrowind_NOCD.ace

Get Winace to open it at:
http://www.winace.com/

Apparently, some of the slowdown is coming from Safedisc, which runs all the time while you are playing the game. This chews up much needed system resources, which in turn, drops FPS. This noCD.exe has no Safedisc on it, but still requires you to have the Morrowind disc for initial loading of the game (game searches for movie files and such). I'm not recommending to pirate this game by using this either. But people here:
http://www.forumplanet.com/rpgplanet/morrowind/topic.asp?fid=3367&tid=632324 have reported up to a 15% increase in FPS, which would seem to help many of you. Also following Rendelius' points will help you squeeze more out of your systems. Good luck, and don't give up this gem!
Post Sat May 04, 2002 7:52 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
People spend a ton of cash to buy geforce 4's for a specific reason, that's right! to play a the best games at the best framerates.

You do understand the concept of CPU bottlenecking the video card don't you?
Post Sat May 04, 2002 8:19 pm
MamoVaka

cpu bottlenecks

Oh yes I do understand man, but it's either one or the other isn't it? it's either the cpu bottlenecking or the videocard bottlenecking, but what difference does that make.

There are people with top end systems reporting slow framerates, like me.

So what is the bottleneck? both of these are top end, so what can I blame on who I ask. I dunno. do you?

bottom line is that this game does look wonderful, but I swear to god it doesnt look THAT good that it should bring a pc like mine to it's knees, lets get real here.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 8:25 pm

Talman

how do you check your fps in MW, I haven't figured that out yet. I got the list of commands in the console, but I don't remember seeing anything about showing fps.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 8:55 pm

Mephy

Dont forget that this is a DEEP rpg. LOTS of pc power is used to power the npcs.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 9:08 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Talman
how do you check your fps in MW, I haven't figured that out yet. I got the list of commands in the console, but I don't remember seeing anything about showing fps.

There is line for it in morrowind.ini. You should change its value from 0 (off) to 1 (on). I am not sure about name of this value, but you will find it (if you use search and write there fps or fps* or *fps* or something like that).
Post Sat May 04, 2002 9:10 pm
Aramas
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I suspect Mama should have saved his money and bought an XBox. PC's are a lot more complicated, and if you have a Via MB chipset then finding the right 4in1 drivers for your OS can be hit and miss. Sound cards can wreak havoc with IRQs and other cards can interfere with each other.
Owning a PC is an endless cycle of upgrades and tuning. I hate to break it to you, but someone that knows his stuff can get more out of a year old PC than a tyro can get from the fastest off the shelf PC. Fortunately there are dozens of forums that can be helpful, and you can save a lot of time by doing a google search and reading appropriate threads.
Some people just see everything as a disposible thrill. It's been reiterated a dozen different ways, but some people just don't get it. Most people seem to be getting acceptable performance. Some people seem to think that it should be just like Deus Ex or UT. One small village in MW has more going on than those entire games put together - *and* FPS's chop it all up into tiny little levels.
Just return the game and buy generic FPS#27578 and then call all your friends and brag about your mighty PC and it's amazing framerate. Perhaps that's more fun than actual gameplay for some people. I mean, Dungeon Seige got rave reviews and it's the shallowest piece of crap I've ever played. It sure is pretty though. DS also chugs on even the fastest system. Stick with shooters, or better still, just run 3DMark continuously.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 9:20 pm

Well the first thing you can do is optimize your bios, especially the memory settings.

You need to make SURE your CAS latency is at 2. It defaults at 2.5/3, and in graphic intensive games like this memory bandwidth is soo important.

You also need to set more agressive memory settings, assuming that you have quality RAM (Crucial, Corsair, Kingston, Samsung etc.).

Just that alone could get you another 1,000 3d marks.

http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/memory.htm

Theres some good info on memory settings, its a site for ABIT users but the memory settings will apply to pretty much anyone using an Athlon/P4 and DDR memory.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 9:20 pm

Talman

Just so everyone knows MW runs fine on my system, I get a 9100 on 3DMark 2001SE with the default test setup, P4 1.6GHz, 512 DDR, PNY GF4 Ti4400, 60 Gig WD Hard Drive at ATA-100. I run 1024 x 768 32-bit color, 4x AA, no shadows, and everything else maxed. It slows very rarely when the things get really complex. The game is great, and turning off the shadows is no big deal because I don't think the shadows look all that great anyway, they are kinda cheezy looking. The water is not going to look as good for the people who aren't atleast at the GF3 Level or higher. The pixel shader's make such a difference when it comes to the water affects, I was amazed at the water.

Alright I can see the side of making this hard on todays computers to make the game live longer through mods and stuff later, but I can also see the other side because by the time there are computers to fully use the graphics engine to its highest potential there will be GF5's or GF6's with new effects and new versions of direct X and people will want the new features in their games, which means new engines.

They could have toned it down a notch but I still like the game the way it is and will probably pull an all-nighter again tonight building up my character's skills. This game rocks! Too bad I am working right now or I would be playing, actually I almost brought my box in to play at work.

-Later
Post Sat May 04, 2002 9:34 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next