Questions: Bospar, the Militia and Snapperweed
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Dood
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Questions: Bospar, the Militia and Snapperweed

I'm in chapter one and need help to make a few decisions.

-Bospar: Will Bospar ever teach me any more Take Trophy techniques or is skinning animals all I'll ever be able to do? Will he ever buy anything other than wolf pelts? What's the point of becoming his apprentice?

-Militia: Can I join the Militia and still become a Novice/Mage?

-Snapperweed: Where can I find Snapperweed for Costantino? I've looked pretty thoroughly outside the East gate and have found everything on Costantino's list except Snapperweed. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to become his apprentice.

In general, which apprenticeship do you recommend?

Thanks,
Dood
Post Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:29 pm
Donut of Doom
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

As far as I know, Bosper never goes beyond the skinning technique. However, I still think he's the best master. He pays you full price for any pelts you bring him, so you'll earn a whole lot of gold. Harad is pretty cool, just 'cause he pays you full price (100g) for any self-forged swords you bring him. However, you can learn forging from Bennet on Onar's farm, and Bosper is the more lucrative master, in the long run (believe me, you won't like coming back from the Valley of Mines with 48 wolf skins and 25 warg skins, and selling them to Zuris or something for less than a third of their full value!) And don't forget the shadowbeast skins - 250g a pop! In the end, though, I guess it doesn't really matter who you're apprenticed to. I never wanted for gold as a paladin, and I was apprenticed to Harad. He's a cool character, and I didn't mind selling my pelts for crap. If you don't want to learn alchemy from Constantino, though, you're not out of luck. There are at least 2 other characters in the game that I know of that you can learn alchemy from, plus one more if you're a mage. I've never been apprenticed to Constantino before, so I don't know what he's like. I also don't know where I got snapperweed, though I always seem to end up with some. Sorry I can't help you there, and good luck anyways!
Post Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:40 pm
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

Talk to Zuris about potions and herbs then go out the East gate and look along the wall. There's also some in the glade on the way to Bengar's farm (before the stairs)

REMEMBER... Many saves, many slots!!!
Post Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:27 am
Dood
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks for the replies. This really helps make the decision process much easier.

Now, does anyone know if I can join the Militia and still become a Novice/Mage?
Post Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:33 am
yeberion
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Now, does anyone know if I can join the Militia and still become a Novice/Mage?

no once your a militia you eventually become a paladin. If you want to become a novice you must also make an offering, id recommend being harrads apprentice if you wish to do this as you can get at least 1200 gold in a couple of minutes, then join the theives guild and raid the upper quarter to make your money back, hope thats of help to you.
Post Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:23 am
Dood
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

yeberion - Yes, that helps a lot, as did the previous comments. I think I'll apprentice with Harad then join the Thieves Guild. Both should help me get the cash early in the game needed to become a Novice.
Post Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:56 am
Hadsus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Regarding the snapperweed....that also wasted alot of my time. As it turns out, it is right next to Mike outside the gate (can't remember if it's east or north....would be nice if there were a compass)....no more than a dozen or so paces from him near a wall.
Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:58 pm
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by Dood
yeberion - Yes, that helps a lot, as did the previous comments. I think I'll apprentice with Harad then join the Thieves Guild. Both should help me get the cash early in the game needed to become a Novice.

I chose Bosper enroute to becoming a mage. Someone here on this board mentioned that it gets awfully boring making swords. I tried it and it was true. Killing wolves is a lot easier and more fun.

Also mentioned previously on this board. You will make far more money with Bosper over the long run. Harod is good for an immediate payback so you can get into the Monastery.

But why rush? There is plenty to do before making a commitment. You can go take preliminary quests for both militia and mercenaries to gain experience. Simply save before each conversation with a quild leader. If you endup "guildless" (check character screen), you haven't comitted to anything.

I was at leve 12 or 13 before I finally comitted to entering the monastery. I wanted to get my combat skills up to 30 for one handed, bow, and crossbow before entering. Once you are a mage, combat skills cost double.
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:09 am
yeberion
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
But why rush?

personally when im becoming a mage i like to do it quick then level untill i finally go into chapter 2, i never trained in any sort of combat i simply used a forged sword and i never had troubles infact by the time i entered the valley of mines i took the sword off altogether, everyone plays different but personally i become a mage for magic and harrad is a quick and easy way to make money to get into the monastary compared to hunting endless wolves just to make scrappy money, i kno later on u get heaps more but hey by the 3-4th chapter i had 40,000 GP why would i need to sell furs lol
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:10 pm