Enchanting hasn't worked
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Memnon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Enchanting hasn't worked

I recently found a Daedric Dai-Katana and decided I would enchant it to create an Uber-weapon. I had a grand soul gem to power it and asked the enchanter to make it so it did fire damage when stiking a target. I completely filled all available enchanting space in the weapon so it did between 74-100 extra fire damage (on top of the 20-60 or whatever, thtt it already did).
The thing is, the weapon won't do any fire damage when I use it, just the normal damage. There isn't even a message saying that the item doesn't have enough charge - nothing happens at all.
What have I done wrong and is it correctable? I don't have a save game from before I enchanted the dai-katana, so it may be too late.
Please help.
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:21 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

I've never heard of an enchantment that just didn't work before. Maybe something isn't as it should be:

When you mouse over it, what does the box say? If it doesn't have any effect listed then the enchantment hasn't been applied. If it does, please confirm that it says "Cast on Strike". What is the exact wording of the effect?

(By the way, if it's not recoverable, don't sweat it. There are levelled creatures that can drop them, so you're bound to get another in time. )
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:10 am
Memnon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The script does indeed say that the sword does 74 - 100 fire damage when I place the mouse over it.
I can't confirm that it says, "Cast when strikes" because I'm at work and need to wait until tomorrow to check. I'm certain that when it was created, that was the option I chose.

However, something I have noticed with this weapon that doen't happen with my other enchanted weapon, is thus : I can actually select the sword in my spell-casting box, much in the same way as an amulet or ring can be selected. I tried to cast the spell in the item but there was no effect and my Magicka decreased as if I had actually cast something.

I think I may have made a mistake when I made the sword - DARN! I was looking forward to using it on some poor mook aswell.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:02 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hrm. If it doesn't damage your opponent when you hit them and is selectable in the magic items box, then I'd guess it was enchanted as a Cast When Used item.

However...

It shouldn't affect your magicka when you use it, and it should cast its effect when used as a magic item. Maybe it is trying to work, but is either On Touch and you're not close enough, or is On Target and there's noone in the crosshairs?
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:48 pm