FATE: Review @ Yahoo! Video Games
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

FATE: Review @ Yahoo! Video Games

Yahoo! Video Games (formerly a.k.a Games Domain) has slapped up a <a href="http://videogames.yahoo.com/ongoingfeature?eid=395067&page=0" target="_blank">review</a> of Wild Tangent's action RPG 'FATE'. Rating: 4.5/5.<blockquote><em>More famous for its well-regarded range of web browser games, Fate is Wild Tangent's first entry into the regular game market. Half-action, half-RPG, and aimed firmly at casual or non-traditional gamers, Fate is a beautifully designed game that's made even better by its $20 price tag. If you're looking for a mindless time-killer, there's nothing that beats it. <br> <br>Let's get this out of the way first: Fate is a bit like Diablo. Well, it's a lot like Diablo. It's like Diablo in the "I wonder if they're going to get sued by Blizzard" kind of way. The controls are like Diablo. The inventory system is like Diablo. It has town portals, identify scrolls, and interface graphics... like Diablo. In short, if you don't like Diablo, this isn't the game for you.</em></blockquote>
Post Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:48 pm
Lucky Day

Another review with no mention of the spyware that installs with Fate. Yahoo even have a cons section where the ignored it. However, this should come as no surprise from a site like Yahoo.
Post Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:50 pm

Dagar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

/agrees with Lucky Day

I thought they were going to release a non Wild Tangent version of the game? Has that happened yet?
Post Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:04 pm
F.U.D.

Wild Tangent as used by Fate is only used for Digital Rights Management etc. You can even configure the WT engine not to connect to the net to look for updates.
They had a (deservedly) bad rap due to adware/spyware related stuff, but a lot of spyware scanners have actually removed them from their spyware lists due to their "refocusing" of business.

The WT aspect in Fate does no undesirable "spying". Look it up. Better still, voluntarily disable the updating functionality and see that it doesn't connect to the internet.
Post Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:11 pm

corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

To confirm; only ONE of my THREE adware blocking programs still lists WT as spyware. I have had NO problem with it and I'm very fussy about spyware.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:14 pm
tbaldree
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

As a side note - with the Yahoo version, Trymedia is used for DRM. So you should be able to actually remove the Wildtangent stuff from the control panel, and the game should still work just fine unlocked.

Travis
Post Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:47 pm
Hokibukisa

I actually bothered to pay for this game just to see how much of it is Diablo 2 copy.
This game IS diablo 2.
But diablo 2 is better in almost everyway.
Its online, got more variety, more charming graphics, cooler enemies, cooler avatars, more content.

I would suggest against actually buying this. Download it if you are an RPG junky and use your free hour to see how boring that first hour is.
The most exciting parts of the game are the beginning 3 paragraphs of story, and thats pretty much all the storyline there is for the entire game.
'Heres a dungeon, go in it and kill stuff, get loot, gain levels, townportal out, sell loot, resupply, go back in dungeon... and repeat through 50 levels of dungeon.

Main objective? To kill Diablo on the 50th level of coarse! Its not named Diablo but it is Diablo.

Now im not saying this is a bad game. I don't think it deserves a 4.5 though. Im sayin that it is an inferior copycat of a much better game, and I want my money back.
Post Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:50 pm

Patrix17

Fate

Yes, great game, but I can't buy it because my postal code doesn't work to buy it! Even my bank says that the card should work, but dumn Yahoo...
Post Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:28 pm